TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unable to Shift Into Neutral from Drive in 7.1

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jdw, Jan 14, 2016.

1. jdw

jdw Member

Since the 7.1 update I have noticed that I am not able to shift into neutral while driving. Not a big deal, except for HyperMilers and stabilizing the car in very icy conditions, but wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

If this is truly the case, it's a horrible decision from a safety stand point, and will be the first vehicle I've ever driven where you can't shift from D to N while moving.

3. jdw

jdw Member

#3 jdw, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    I've only tried it at freeway speeds, so I'm going to try at a lower speed today. I posted as it doesn't seem like this would be a good decision and was wondering if it was "only me" ...

Update: It seems the control of shifting into neutral has changed a little. Previously, the car would shift to neutral on a "full" upward push of the shifter. Now, you can select neutral at any speed with a "half" upward push. A full push does nothing except beep.

This actually makes more sense, but the change in behaviour took me by surprise the first few times.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

So they actually made it EASIER to shift to neutral? if so, that's a good thing, it's just surprising.