Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to shift normally after tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue started when parking my M3P at home after having the windows tinted at a shop one of the employees recommended at my Tesla SC. I confirmed with the shop prior to the work that they place barriers to prevent water damage while applying tint.

After parking the car and re-entering, pressing the brake pedal and trying to shift resulted in a "press brake pedal to shift" notification on the screen. No amount of brake pedal pressure or repeat pushes changes this and allows a shift. If I lock the car through the infotainment screen then press the brake, the car immediately starts as normal and allows shifting. If I wait 1-2 minutes after entering the car the brake starts the car normally and allows a shift.

I've tried a soft restart, a full power off, and another reboot by changing the tire size back and forth. The problem is the same whether using my phone or keycard. The car otherwise functions normally.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this likely due to a problem with water damage? I scheduled a SC appointment, should I let the tint shop know I'm suspicious of water damage? Will the SC charge me outside of warranty if so and will this be a headache between me and the tint shop? Thanks for your thoughts.