TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Unable to start update. Try again later."

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SteveH, Jan 17, 2015.

1. SteveH

SteveH Member

Has anyone seen this message when trying to install an update before? I've tried rebooting several times and then applying the update with no luck.

I do also have a message indicated that my 12V battery needs service. Unfortunately, the service center can't get me in for another week and a half. I wonder if the car just won't install an update while that battery is less than 100%?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

My best guess is that you're right. Part of the update probably relies on the 12V battery...so it doesn't start if it needs service.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

That's how the service center found my 12V battery needed to be replaced-- when I called that I had an error message about my 6.0 installation a few months ago.

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Shore power and probably the DC-DC convertor are suspended during the update, so a weak 12V battery could cause havoc, I imagine!

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The first thing you hear on starting an update is the various contactors/relays clicking; as others have stated, the car relies on 12v during FW installation. Bad 12v = no install.

6. jdbob

jdbob Member

I wonder if you could put a charger on the 12V battery before trying to start the update. Maybe the car will be fooled by this :)

7. SteveH

SteveH Member

As anxious as I am to get the update, I'm not quite that anxious. Would be interesting to see how someone else's care would handle that though... :)

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

This might be the first time in history that calm and reason has overruled the desire to get an immediate Model S software update.

9. CabaSw

CabaSw Member

I see this thread is over 1.5 years old but I am trying to update to 8.0 and getting the same error for several days now. I restarted both screens and have tried while plugged in and not and while on both strong WiFi and LTE. I've tried probably 15 time to install.

Called the 800 number and they had me restart screens again and still could not resolve or even diagnose, said a Service Center would call and they haven't. Seems the Service Centers never pick up their phones and I have left messages at multiple centers.

Obviously frustrated.

If anyone is readying this - how did your error finally resolve? Thanks.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

If you are reasonably close to a service centre, why not just drop in and let them look at it, at least the service advisor? I have done just that in Sydney Australia and it works really well.