Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to supercharge, normal charging ok

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unable to supercharge as of yesterday. I’m guessing some kind of fault state on the charger or hvjb. Anyone have any ideas?

Car is rooted and on a 2018 build so I’d rather not take it to the service center if possible, but not willing to work on the HV system beyond reflashing modules either. Already tried restarting the mcu/cluster/gateway. Car charges fine on wall charger at home. 2015 85D with 138k miles.

video of diag screen when attempting to supercharge:

Imgur

Unable to supercharge as of yesterday. I’m guessing some kind of fault state on the charger or hvjb. Anyone have any ideas?

Car is rooted and on a 2018 build so I’d rather not take it to the service center if possible, but not willing to work on the HV system beyond reflashing modules either. Already tried restarting the mcu/cluster/gateway. Car charges fine on wall charger at home. 2015 85D with 138k miles.

video of diag screen when attempting to supercharge:

Imgur

did you have tried a reset?

the two scroll wheels pressing including the brake paddle until you will see the Tesla logo on your mcu. This can take a minute or two.

second thing you can try is too shutdown the car by the menu —> security

Try different SuperChargerstations and sometimes it is nessasery too connect it more times before he will accept the charger.

Last attempt will be too disconcerting the 12V battery for 10 minutes and reconnect it.

Or your battery heater can be defect

Heck I couldn't super charge for 6 months after v9 was loaded. It was sw problem.
Go to super charger, plug in, call 877. 798.3752, they can trouble shoot it from Draper. That's easy, I've called 100 times. They will ask u where r u, number u r on, they will get in the charger and your car. I called 4 times this week.
They very helpful when u cant super charge. They can tell u exactly what is wrong.

Heck I couldn't super charge for 6 months after v9 was loaded. It was sw problem.
Go to super charger, plug in, call 877. 798.3752, they can trouble shoot it from Draper. That's easy, I've called 100 times. They will ask u where r u, number u r on, they will get in the charger and your car. I called 4 times this week.
They very helpful when u cant super charge. They can tell u exactly what is wrong.

Last time I tried this I was on hold for an hour before getting a human. You must have a better number than I do.

Going to try replacing the hvjb and see what happens.

I'm confused. When you supercharge, you bypass the onboard charger. If your onboard charger were faulty, you would be able to supercharge but not AC charge.
You have the general concept right, but there is a device called the High Voltage Junction Box (HVJB) that is the first "switching station" that the connection goes through. It checks what is on the communication of the cable that has just been inserted to determine if it is DC to go to the battery, or AC to go into the onboard charger unit.

The thing was, that HVJB used to be built in to the body of the onboard charger. So if the HVJB failed, it couldn't send the Supercharging to the battery, and it was inside the charger, which is why that needed to be replaced. I think it was in the mid-2016 refresh of the Model S that they switched some components around and got the HVJB outside to its own unit, so it could be replaced by itself.

I'm confused. When you supercharge, you bypass the onboard charger. If your onboard charger were faulty, you would be able to supercharge but not AC charge.

Not necessarily true. The charger is still hooked to the charge port so the HV is feed into the charger input and there can be a HV isolation issue in the charger that prevents Supercharging.

You have the general concept right, but there is a device called the High Voltage Junction Box (HVJB) that is the first "switching station" that the connection goes through. It checks what is on the communication of the cable that has just been inserted to determine if it is DC to go to the battery, or AC to go into the onboard charger unit.

The thing was, that HVJB used to be built in to the body of the onboard charger. So if the HVJB failed, it couldn't send the Supercharging to the battery, and it was inside the charger, which is why that needed to be replaced. I think it was in the mid-2016 refresh of the Model S that they switched some components around and got the HVJB outside to its own unit, so it could be replaced by itself.

Kind of, except I think you have it backwards. In the old cars (HVJB Gen 1) and my car (HVJB Gen 2), the HVJB is a separate box. These cars have either a single 40a or 2x40a on-board chargers. I think in newer cars (maybe when they went to 48a/72a charging?) it is built into the charger. Regardless, both need to be functioning correctly for supercharging to work. I replaced the HVJB already, and am now waiting for a replacement on-board charger to try that out.

Kind of, except I think you have it backwards. In the old cars (HVJB Gen 1) and my car (HVJB Gen 2), the HVJB is a separate box. These cars have either a single 40a or 2x40a on-board chargers. I think in newer cars (maybe when they went to 48a/72a charging?) it is built into the charger.
OK, I'll go with that. I remembered it being in and out, but wasn't sure which was the older or newer method.