Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to use sentry remote viewer despite having necessary hardware and software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sure about that? Telsa is upgrading 2021.36.8 (live sentry update) people to 2021.40.6. If this is true, then they'd be losing the feature.

I was just recently educated about this stuff on another Thread (FSD Beta vehicle trying to install 2021.40.6). What I think I now know:
  • See handy source Update Information for details about recent software downloads.
  • There currently appear to be two general software download tracks or branches: Production Build (no FSD Beta testing) and FSD Beta Testers (my name). (Other sub-branches needn't concern us for this discussion.)
  • The split originated around the September 2021 Software Version 2021.32.22 (containing the request to be a FSD Beta tester).
  • Roughly, software versions 40 and higher (Production Build) are for non-FSD Beta testers. Software versions 36 and higher are for FSD Beta testers. (There are some numerical exceptions to these guidelines.)
  • As peej mentioned, the latest Production Build track software is 40.6 (11/19/21).
  • The latest FSD Beta Test branch software is 36.8.8 (about a week ago).

• I'm told that people can voluntarily leave the FSD Beta testing track and be put back into the Production Build branch.
    • They should lose FSD Beta testing but gain certain features (like Navigation Waypoints, and added CCS and cellular network information in the Additional Vehicle Information popup).
  • Other knowledgeable TMC members didn't think Tesla should or would normally push 40.6 on FSD Beta testers. But at least one car had this happen accidentally apparently due to a software glitch during a five-day service period. And as mentioned, people can voluntarily opt out of the FSD Beta testing program.

• EVRider-FL already correctly informed us that the Sentry Mode Live Camera Access feature is currently only available in selected areas, and for refreshed Models S & X, and now Models 3 & Y.
  • It is also not yet available for Production Build cars, as Huskyf alluded to.
  • And as GeneralPlatty said, I assume that those selected FSD Beta testers who do have this feature and chose to re-enter the Production Build branch would lose it.

• As others have mentioned, at some point the two branches may rejoin, or perhaps before that the FSD Beta testing branch may gain missing Production Build features in a future download. No telling if or when.
Fascinating, but a little confusing.

I was just recently educated about this stuff on another Thread (FSD Beta vehicle trying to install 2021.40.6). What I think I now know:
  • See handy source Update Information for details about recent software downloads.
  • There currently appear to be two general software download tracks or branches: Production Build (no FSD Beta testing) and FSD Beta Testers (my name). (Other sub-branches needn't concern us for this discussion.)
  • The split originated around the September 2021 Software Version 2021.32.22 (containing the request to be a FSD Beta tester).
  • Roughly, software versions 40 and higher (Production Build) are for non-FSD Beta testers. Software versions 36 and higher are for FSD Beta testers. (There are some numerical exceptions to these guidelines.)
  • As peej mentioned, the latest Production Build track software is 40.6 (11/19/21).

• I'm told that people can voluntarily leave the FSD Beta testing track and be put back into the Production Build branch.
    • They should lose FSD Beta testing but gain certain features (like Navigation Waypoints, and added CCS and cellular network information in the Additional Vehicle Information popup).
  • Other knowledgeable TMC members didn't think Tesla should or would normally push 40.6 on FSD Beta testers. But at least one car had this happen accidentally apparently due to a software glitch during a five-day service period. And as mentioned, people can voluntarily opt out of the FSD Beta testing program.

• EVRider-FL already correctly informed us that the Sentry Mode Live Camera Access feature is currently only available in selected areas, and for refreshed Models S & X, and now Models 3 & Y.
  • And as GeneralPlatty said, I assume that those selected FSD Beta testers who do have this feature and chose to re-enter the Production Build branch would lose it.

• As others have mentioned, at some point the two branches may rejoin, or perhaps before that the FSD Beta testing branch may gain missing Production Build features in a future download. No telling if or when.
I also get very confused by this. I have a 2021 M3 MIC LR. I purchased FSD a few weeks after delivery and I’m only on 2021.36.5.5. (I live in France) that seems way behind or is it how it should be?

Well the certainly gets the prize for the most comprehensive answer! Thanks for that

I also get very confused by this. I have a 2021 M3 MIC LR. I purchased FSD a few weeks after delivery and I’m only on 2021.36.5.5. (I live in France) that seems way behind or is it how it should be?
You're not behind in France. You got rid of your monarchy before us. We are still waiting ;) TeslaFi shows there are certainly some cars in France on 2021.40.6. I once missed a software update i think because it failed to fully download. Maybe you'll skip a version and catch up.

• Funny
Reactions: elf9

This is a great answer and makes sense to me. Thanks for the info!

The app connectivity is just very flaky. The 2021.36.8 update did allow remote viewing in sentry mode for a couple weeks. But in the last week it’s failed to update the car’s location snd mileage for days at a time. Including when I’m standing next to the car. I restarted the car’s computer, nope. Finally uninstalled and reinstalled the iPhone app. It worked for about a day. Now same thing. Can’t start sentry mode, even when standing by the car. Just pitiful.

Hi

I haven't seen this asked and answered elsewhere but apologies if I have missed it. I have a Model S with AP2.5 hardware running 2021.40.6 My mobile app is IOS version 4.3.0 I have a premium connectivity subscription but I cannot use sentry mode remote viewer.

I'm aware that this needs to be enabled in the car but on the security page there is no option to enable remote camera access

This is a UK spec car - is that the problem? Or could it be because I don't have the PWS external speaker?

Any ideas?
It's probably becuase you are in the UK, privacy laws and such.

i think its inccorect, i have a new tesla model 3 2021 with fsd and connectivit. I never got the 36.8 version but the 2021.40.6.. strange thing is i do not have live sentry feature but do have all latest others including new fsd features. probably the live sentry is not allowed in my country netherlands ? tesla is very unclear about the live sentry mode “only in selected countries”, but thant list of countries can not be found :-(

What is the current availability for the live camera view feature from the iOS/Android App? Does older 2017 HW 2.0 Model S that buys the MCU upgrade get this feature? I'm considering paying the $2,250 or whatever it is for the upgrade after seeing no real benefit with the eMMC recall upgrade.