Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable transfer leased Model 3 from NY to NC.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am looking for advice on what to do here. I am in the middle of a Model 3 lease and I recently moved from New York to North Carolina. After 6 months I finally got my title from Tesla so I could transfer my registration. I went to the North Carolina DMV and they told me I am missing form Gross Receipt Declaration (MVR-608). Tesla is telling me I do not need this form is refusing to fill it out for me.

So now I am stuck unable to move my registration over to my new state. To make matter worse I am now paying double car insurance because I already started my North Carolina insurance, but I cannot stop my New York State insurance before the registration is changed, or New York is supposedly able to suspend my North Carolina drivers license.

Tesla financing is no longer answering my emails about this situation, and calling the number just sends me to a voicemail which tells me to send an email. What are my options here?

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the EXACT same issue. Went to the NC DMV today and was told Tesla needs to complete the MVR-608, which they didn't send me in the re-registration pack. They also need a fax number for Tesla finance which can't be found anywhere. I've called and emailed them but not getting a response.

NYS DMV cant suspend your NC or any other-state issued license/registration, or plates... but they do love to nickel and dime you (another exit tax/fee) for either:

a. ending your NYS tied insurance coverage prior to returning the plates (post mark or in-person at NY DMV)

b. trying to register a car currently registered in NYS without terminating the NYS registration

Not sure how all this plays out if you dont have a title in hand and outright own the car, but above applies when moving from NYS with a car you outright own.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
NYS DMV cant suspend your NC or any other-state issued license/registration, or plates... but they do love to nickel and dime you (another exit tax/fee) for either:

a. ending your NYS tied insurance coverage prior to returning the plates (post mark or in-person at NY DMV)

b. trying to register a car currently registered in NYS without terminating the NYS registration

Not sure how all this plays out if you dont have a title in hand and outright own the car, but above applies when moving from NYS with a car you outright own.
In my case I moved from FL and when I moved I switched insurance providers. By doing so it cancelled my FL insurance which suspended my FL license/registration. The license is no problem as I already got a NC license. The problem is getting the LEASED vehicle re-registered in NC because Tesla Finance is totally incompetent and acting like moving to a new state is like moving to a new country. It took them 2 months to send the re-registration package that I'm supposed to take to the DMV, only to find out they completed the forms incorrectly and are missing one crucial form that's needed to register a leased car. They can only reached by email and response times can take a while, if you get a response at all.

I ended up going to the local Tesla showroom and one of the sales managers was able to generate the required form for me and sign it on Tesla Finance's behalf. Fingers crossed the DMV will accept it....

Got it, yes the issues with state moves all boil down to Title transfers/re-issues and re-registration of cars (especially hard if leased).

To add insult to injury, if your car insurance company doesn't cover the new state... or even if they do, you are often forced to get a new state specific policy.... which almost always means a higher initial premium.

Another vote for 'moving to a new state is like moving to a new country'. Terrible.