Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unacceptable Powerwall fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your choice is to have waited 3 years for nothing, or wait 3.5 years for something. If the outcome is worth having I'd think the better ROI would be to wait the extra 6 months to get that outcome.... yes patience is a virtue but no one ever said it was easy nor fun. ;-)

There is no ROI. My electric bills average less than ~$60/month so the $30K "investment" takes 500 months or over 40 years to pay back, assuming $0 electric bill, which doesn't happen if you are connected to the grid at all. And I'm told NV Energy these days doesn't buy back excess at all, there is no longer NET metering for new installs. So without being able to spend the night+ entirely on storage, in the middle of the winter, you're going to buy grid power.

There is no ROI. My electric bills average less than ~$60/month so the $30K "investment" takes 500 months or over 40 years to pay back, assuming $0 electric bill, which doesn't happen if you are connected to the grid at all. And I'm told NV Energy these days doesn't buy back excess at all, there is no longer NET metering for new installs. So without being able to spend the night+ entirely on storage, in the middle of the winter, you're going to buy grid power.
Really confused here. If your power bill is only $60 why do you want to install solar?

Are you still going to do this with a non-Tesla solar installer?

Really confused here. If your power bill is only $60 why do you want to install solar?

Are you still going to do this with a non-Tesla solar installer?

To get as much off grid as practical, totally if possible. These several hour outages are not all that frequent but are very annoying.

There are no non-Tesla installers in the area that will do both the solar and the battery backup at the same time. Even without the tax credits I won't do it unless there is one bitch button for problems.

I spent 25 years in network engineering and for the first 10 years there was plethora of systems providers and when something didn't work right the thing that they were all best at was pointing the finger at the other guys. So we went to all Cisco equipment specifically so if there was a problem we called Cisco and said make it right; now. Even a single minute of downtime would end up with executives whining about how much this was costing and demanding minute by minute status reports. Hence retiring at the first possible moment.

I have given up trying to expedite. Order placed for 2 power walls on July 2, docs all submitted same day. Tesla says I have submitted everything in a response on July 6. At that time they said 5-8 weeks for plans. Now they are saying no guaratee for this year, Suggesting I check independent installers who charge $8K more. So far my only money at risk is the $100. Can't worry about it, Heading into fall and cooler temps. We have burned almost everything that can be burned here in California. Time to go fishing.