TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

unacceptable safety issue

Discussion in 'Model X' started by TOBASH, Aug 8, 2017.

1. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

My youngest son got into the back seat, and could not find his seatbelt latch/receptacle. I went to help him and I found that the seatbelt receptacle/latch had become detached from the seat because it was never properly fastened. the screw and mechanism was lying on the cars floor, only attached by a electric wires. God forbid I had been in an accident, my son would not have been restrained.

This is not just an issue about poor fitment and then finishing. this is a significant safety issue. I suggest all of you and check your safety belt mechanisms to make sure they are not defective.

This is a government reportable defect.

After spending fora P100D, I would expect proper fitment. I fail to see how the Government could assign a 5* crash rating to a vehicle with defective installation of safety belt mechanism.

T

• Disagree x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

First of all pump the breaks just a bit. Yes, it's absolutely unacceptable to ship a car with that kind of a manufacturing defect for sure. However, you're getting on thin ice quickly trying to extrapolate your issue as existing on every car...

Jeff

• Like x 12
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

I never stated this would be an issue on every car.

As an orthopedic surgeon I feel obligated to inform the community that there is a significant safety problem with my car, and that same problem may translate into issues and injuries with other cars. Please read my post carefully before misstating my purpose.

Please consider pumping your breaks yourself.

• Disagree x 10
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

This is bad indeed. Sounds somewhat like the symptoms behind the "Partial Recall" in the early days of the Model S: Partial Recall

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

First of all, thank you for sharing. I absolutely agree that this is a reportable safety defect and I would encourage reporting it to the NHTSA. Actual truthful reports of safety issues to the NHTSA benefits the consumer. The process has a bad rap thanks to one person's "wompy wheels" trolling.

• Like x 4
  6. Matias

Matias Active Member

Last time Tesla found a problem with one car's seat belt it recalled all the vehicles..

• Informative x 1
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. Never feel bad about reporting such clear safety issues to the NHTSA. Tesla and the NHTSA are both bound to read those. It helps ensure that one-offs don't turn out to be more serious.

As Matias noted, a previous seat-belt issue led to Tesla doing a check of all vehicles. In California they sent staff to Superchargers so owners didn't have to visit a service center.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

About how long did you have the car before you discovered this? (just curious)

9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Because orthopedic surgeons are experts on car safety? Or because it requires a surgeon to diagnose that the seatbelt isn't properly attached?

• Like x 13
    • Funny x 1
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Probably because the installation wasn't defective on the car that was crashed? That's quite a leap to extrapolate one instance to the whole fleet.

• Like x 4
  11. ToddS

ToddS Member

Although I can't speak for the TMC community, I can say I was with you up until this sentence. That is probably where some folks who have posted here felt like the post went too far.

Just because you had a SERIOUS issue (that I, likewise, encourage you to report) does not mean this is not the safest SUV ever produced and doesn't deserve a 5 star rating. Mistakes happen. If this were a significant enough problem to affect the safety rating, there would be many many more reports prior to yours.

That said, I applaud you for bringing it to our attention. The first thing I did was go check my X.

• Like x 4
  12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Can you post some pics? Curious on knowing what it looks like

• Like x 1
  13. outie

outie Active Member

Typical quality control issue. Unfortunately getting the top end model does not preclude it from QC issue at Tesla.

14. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

Thanks for this, sorry for all the shameful trolling...

i agree that you were probably a little shocked and taken aback thus not typing as clearly as you may have thought, but this is serious.

reach out to Tesla to have this resolved and report it, even if mistakes do happen we can't justify it just because we're blinded into thinking "Tesla's are the Best" at everything which they aren't... Good drive-train? check! luxury/comfort/QA...meh not so much...yet.

(let the bashing/trolling/"disagree" thumbs-down begin!) lol

• Disagree x 1
  15. scottm

scottm Active Member

#14 scottm, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Also, before or after reporting to the government (i.e. "us") please let Tesla know your complaint, it would be irresponsible otherwise and they are actually the entity that can DO something about it.

And with the VIN they'll find the persons on the line whose job it was:
    1) installing seatbelt equipment for that car
    2) inspecting for (1) at that time

Maybe process adjustments will be made so this doesn't happen again, but if it does, will be found before leaving the factory.

Even back in '06 my Subaru came delivered with a paint pen marking on every bolt or fastener on the car that needed to be checked, probably for safety but also build quality concerns. Don't know if my car was a random pull for checking, or if every car got the treatment. However, I was impressed.

Does your car have such markings on fasteners, is the mark missing on the defect part, is the fastener found rolling around on the floor, is it showing as stripped or suffering from being cross-threaded? These clues can help Tesla help everyone.

Hey - ever sewed anybody up leaving medical equipment inside? It happens and this completely baffles me. Whose job is it to account for every piece on the tray after the surgery?

• Like x 1
  16. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Um... Thanks for the credentials but I hardly see how that has any bearing on this issue. You ask me to read your post carefully? What exactly did I miss? You made a statement that the cars crash test rating was somehow suspect because YOUR car had this specific manufacturing defect...

Yikes...

Jeff

• Like x 10
  17. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Second row? Third? 5/6/7 Seat? Any pictures to help us understand?

• Like x 2
  18. jgs

jgs Active Member

I don't know if they did that nationwide, but they did it here in Ann Arbor at least.

19. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

As an automotive engineer, I feel obligated make you aware of the limitations of your depth.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 5
  20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like they can send you to your neighborhood service center. :p

21. rush6410

rush6410 Member

This will not rank to any level of attention from the government. Why? Because it is not a manufacturer's defect. There is nothing to recall. It was installed incorrectly. This is an issue with Tesla and their ability to QA.

If you would have put your $100K+ vehicle in reverse or drive, it would have told you that the belt was not buckled. So, you wouldn't have put him at risk. The over dramatic ego driven statement forced me to respond. You should assume everyone who is driving this vehicle are successful. We do not need to hear your resume to take you seriously. Allow the issue to speak for itself.

• Love x 1