Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unacceptable safety issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how 2 people gave the OP a disagree.

Umm? What's there to disagree with? This guy is reporting an issue with a seat belt not being properly installed. If I was him I'd raise all sorts of hell. I'd be practically livid, and I'd leave the evidence to have Tesla come out and document it while fixing it.

This is one area where a lot of heads will roll. I can be understanding of lots of QA problems, but not this one.

This is a government reportable defect.

After spending fora P100D, I would expect proper fitment.

Absolutely. This is a reportable defect. Not sure this is a design defect though. But that is for NHTSA and Tesla to decide. Even a lowly Corolla deserves a proper fitment of seat belts.

I fail to see how the Government could assign a 5* crash rating to a vehicle with defective installation of safety belt mechanism

This is where I got lost.

Did you report it to Tesla or to the federal government? Your post makes no mention of that.

I fail to see how the Government could assign a 5* crash rating to a vehicle with defective installation of safety belt mechanism.
That makes no sense at all. Federal govt safety ratings are not based on that sort of manufacturing error.

Reactions: MXWing
My youngest son got into the back seat, and could not find his seatbelt latch/receptacle. I went to help him and I found that the seatbelt receptacle/latch had become detached from the seat because it was never properly fastened. the screw and mechanism was lying on the cars floor, only attached by a electric wires. God forbid I had been in an accident, my son would not have been restrained.

This is not just an issue about poor fitment and then finishing. this is a significant safety issue. I suggest all of you and check your safety belt mechanisms to make sure they are not defective.

After spending fora P100D, I would expect proper fitment. I fail to see how the Government could assign a 5* crash rating to a vehicle with defective installation of safety belt mechanism.

T

I checked my seat belts. All good; looks like an unfortunate manufacturing oversight on your part. Good thing you caught it. Grab your wrench and secure it.

On another note:

First of all pump the breaks just a bit.

Please consider pumping your breaks yourself.

For christ's sake, it's brakes! Why does this bother me?

Reactions: mrpseudonym
On another note:

For christ's sake, it's brakes! Why does this bother me?

IMG_1913.JPG

My youngest son got into the back seat, and could not find his seatbelt latch/receptacle. I went to help him and I found that the seatbelt receptacle/latch had become detached from the seat because it was never properly fastened. the screw and mechanism was lying on the cars floor, only attached by a electric wires. God forbid I had been in an accident, my son would not have been restrained.

This is not just an issue about poor fitment and then finishing. this is a significant safety issue. I suggest all of you and check your safety belt mechanisms to make sure they are not defective.

After spending fora P100D, I would expect proper fitment. I fail to see how the Government could assign a 5* crash rating to a vehicle with defective installation of safety belt mechanism.

T

I agree with you. This is absolutely, uttterly, completely, unacceptable on even one car. This is a never event. Everyone should check their seatbelts and Tesla should make this a recall if this has occurred on additional cars.

I agree with you. This is absolutely, uttterly, completely, unacceptable on even one car. This is a never event. Everyone should check their seatbelts and Tesla should make this a recall if this has occurred on additional cars.

Dramatic much?

How many people work to keep a space shuttle from exploding yet it still happens once every few thousand launches?

How many wrong kidneys removed or wrong leg amputations happen in the operating room?
How many wrong medications are assigned with fatal consequences?

Where are the outrage for those "unacceptable even ONCE" events?

Dramatic much?

How many people work to keep a space shuttle from exploding yet it still happens once every few thousand launches?

How many wrong kidneys removed or wrong leg amputations happen in the operating room?
How many wrong medications are assigned with fatal consequences?

Where are the outrage for those "unacceptable even ONCE" events?

You could be right about me being dramatic if this is truly a one-time lack of quality control. But I have seen how poorly assembled my $155,000 car is, from incorrectly installed seals in the doors, trunk, HEPA filter. I've redone some of them myself since that way I know it's done right.

Tesla won't get the benefit of the doubt from me. If there is one of these failures, I bet there are more lurking. I don't trust Tesla anymore, unfortunately, on anything, and especially not on quality control.

Reactions: J__T and Peteybabes
You could be right about me being dramatic if this is truly a one-time lack of quality control. But I have seen how poorly assembled my $155,000 car is, from incorrectly installed seals in the doors, trunk, HEPA filter. I've redone some of them myself since that way I know it's done right.

Tesla won't get the benefit of the doubt from me. If there is one of these failures, I bet there are more lurking. I don't trust Tesla anymore, unfortunately, on anything, and especially not on quality control.
+1 we can only hope that it gets better, but right now...nah!

I know i'm going to sound dramatic now, but if we pass off safety issues like it's something small or not worth raising a stink, what's going to happen when somebody is seriously injured or killed?? unfortunately some on this forum will still be drinking the Tesla cool-aide into the ground believing that their car is "perfect", which it is not, or that there's some justification for it.

• Love
Reactions: bonnie
People need to lighten up on @TOBASH, seriously. He was understandably upset over something that could have had serious consequences if there had been an accident. Or sudden hard braking. So if he was a little over the top, think of how YOU would react if it were your child that might have been put at risk.

And yes, I love Tesla. You all know that. But mistakes happen. And this kind of mistake is exactly why there are reporting systems. It should be reported. My experience with Tesla is they take things like this very seriously. I think Elon is more proud of safety ratings than anything else. It's a non-negotiable thing.