Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unadvertised differences between model Y performance vs LR? 11/2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
besides the matrix headlights on the MYP, any unadvertised differences between MYP and long range?

My Long range (white with no options - the cheapest) is set to get delivered during the last week of 12/2022, but after reading about how the matrix headlights are supposed to be better on unlit/county roads at night, I'm thinking about getting the MYP

I have one of the first Model 3 dual motor from 4 years ago, and i want to have as much range as possible, but after thinking about the deer I hit with my Model 3, i think having better headlights will benefit me on a more regular basis, especially since i'll be gaining a heat pump.

I'm very bummed about losing ultrasonic sensors, especially since i also park in very tight spaces in Chicago, but that's cost cutting/progress......

Parking sensor feature is coming to the non-ultrasonic models. MYP rough ride and shorter range are dealbreakers for me personally considering acceleration boost is pretty fast.

Are they still not putting matrix on the MY LR? My ‘22 M3LR has them.

besides the matrix headlights on the MYP, any unadvertised differences between MYP and long range?

My Long range (white with no options - the cheapest) is set to get delivered during the last week of 12/2022, but after reading about how the matrix headlights are supposed to be better on unlit/county roads at night, I'm thinking about getting the MYP

I have one of the first Model 3 dual motor from 4 years ago, and i want to have as much range as possible, but after thinking about the deer I hit with my Model 3, i think having better headlights will benefit me on a more regular basis, especially since i'll be gaining a heat pump.

I'm very bummed about losing ultrasonic sensors, especially since i also park in very tight spaces in Chicago, but that's cost cutting/progress......
Getting a set of after market or even OEM matrix headlights once you have the car. MYLR exceeds MYP from ride quality to range and every other aspect as a daily car.

• Funny
Reactions: innos and bjhinkle
That’s cool but it doesn’t do the thing that is the purpose of the matrix lights, not blinding people when your high beams are on by selectively disabling pixels aimed at pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles. That’s the selling point for me at least. High beams at night all the time without blinding or being blinded.

Reactions: Watts_Up

MYP has;
  1. More acceleration
  2. Less Range
  3. 21" wheels that have very limited tire choices
  4. Firmer sport suspension (rougher ride)
  5. Better brakes
  6. Track mode (some day)
  7. Matrix headlights
  8. Spoiler
It's honestly a pretty good deal but for me personally the harsh suspension and 21" wheels are a deal breaker so I'm getting MYLR.

Do not make a decision just based on the matrix headlight. if it will delay your delievery and you had a pre increase price then just keep your current MY. I have both Plaid (non-Matrix) and MYP and I can tell you the normal lights are fine. The Matrix light as of today as Tesla did not still fully activated all the adaptive features are maybe 10% better.

Do not make a decision just based on the matrix headlight. if it will delay your delievery and you had a pre increase price then just keep your current MY. I have both Plaid (non-Matrix) and MYP and I can tell you the normal lights are fine. The Matrix light as of today as Tesla did not still fully activated all the adaptive features are maybe 10% better.
Thank you for that. I’m coming from a plain dual motor model 3, which I love the handling/acceleration. So I was planning on getting the acceleration boost for the LR.

I didn’t get it pre-price increase, so I don’t get that benefit. But I am eligible for the tax credit, if I can push off delivery until 2023.

I thought the performance is a good deal if I was already going to get the acceleration boost.

@Ash83, if you were to choose again, would you still get the performance or go back to LR?

Thank you for that. I’m coming from a plain dual motor model 3, which I love the handling/acceleration. So I was planning on getting the acceleration boost for the LR.

I didn’t get it pre-price increase, so I don’t get that benefit. But I am eligible for the tax credit, if I can push off delivery until 2023.

I thought the performance is a good deal if I was already going to get the acceleration boost.

@Ash83, if you were to choose again, would you still get the performance or go back to LR?
MYP for sure. just because of performance, 21 looks really good, suspension is not as bad as other say even for my wife, but her old car had sport suspension so she was ok with it.

so yeah, If no pre increase price and you just delay it 1 month and get the tax benefit then do it :)

Reactions: blinkme323
You will also need to get a set of winter or all-season tires for the Performance. Probably a 2nd set of wheels as well. You can get winter tires with wheels from Tesla for $4.7K.

Tire Care and Maintenance

Performance tires (summer applications) have reduced traction in ambient temperatures below 40° F (5° C), and are not recommended in snow/ice conditions. Performance tires can temporarily harden when cold, causing you to hear rotational noise for the first few miles (kilometers) until the tires warm up.

Tire Care and Maintenance
Performance tires (summer applications) have reduced traction in ambient temperatures below 40° F (5° C), and are not recommended in snow/ice conditions. Performance tires can temporarily harden when cold, causing you to hear rotational noise for the first few miles (kilometers) until the tires warm up.
oh geez! That’s not good! Esp since it can get that cold for 30-40% of the year where I live

MYP has;
  1. More acceleration
  2. Less Range
  3. 21" wheels that have very limited tire choices
  4. Firmer sport suspension (rougher ride)
  5. Better brakes
  6. Track mode (some day)
  7. Matrix headlights
  8. Spoiler
It's honestly a pretty good deal but for me personally the harsh suspension and 21" wheels are a deal breaker so I'm getting MYLR.

You can add a spoiler, different rims/tires and make it unique. 20” wheels with a square setup makes tire choices plentifully, ride smoother and protection from curb rubbing. Sub 5 second 0-60 is very fast.

You can add a spoiler, different rims/tires and make it unique. 20” wheels with a square setup makes tire choices plentifully, ride smoother and protection from curb rubbing. Sub 5 second 0-60 is very fast.
I agree but from a $ perspective to what you get for said $ even if you can buy something more unique, it is still a pretty good deal.

$1,500 for wheels/tires
$2,000 for the acceleration boost only gets you low 4 seconds, not under 4 but let's give that the same value
$500 for lowering springs, debatable if it's an upgrade or not because of the rougher ride but let's give it a value
$1500 for the brake kits, it's likely a lot more but let's just say it's this much
$200 for a spoiler
Matrix headlight we can skip because some 2023 are coming with them.

That's around $5700 on the conservative side.

What do you mean by this ? Only some 2022 LR came with matrix around October because Tesla ran out of regular. People are posting that their newly delivered lr model y teslas don’t have it.
Hmm, not sure about that. To clarify, the Matrix headlights are the ones with the ball on the corner of the lights, when you do lightshow, it says TESLA, correct?

If so, my 2023 MYLR Fremont build came with it.

Reactions: ord3r