Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bensalem, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
***Cross Posted from the Supercharger Thread***

I stopped for lunch at Wawa in Bensalem, PA this afternoon and noticed that they had a portion of the parking lot roped off for construction, including 6 posts (presumably for signage), 6 PVC stubs (presumably for power), and white Square D cabinets off to the side that all looked suspiciously like an EV charging install.

A quick look online shows no indication of this site as part of the "coming soon" Supercharger roll-out, but the location is very convenient to the PA Turnpike/Rt 1 and Wawa has committed to doubling the number of Superchargers at its stores.

I will try to grab a picture and post it for confirmation from the experts, but is there any precedent to construction starting on an "unannounced" location?

2280C21E-2935-454A-A1ED-4C3EC2746A65.jpeg E7351A8C-DFA0-45B7-AA2C-A889CA18F561.jpeg

Updated with pictures...What do we think?

This happened many times in the past that people saw a site under construction, sometimes even a completed one, without a coming soon pin on the Tesla map. Can you please provide the location of the site and more pictures of the equipment there? Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: lensovet and Chuq
I dug through Bensalem's zoning site but couldn't find anything, looks like their minutes don't go back far enough.

6 Stalls is a bit odd though, they aren't really doing 6 stall sites anymore. Its possible it could be another network's charger although I'm not sure Wawa has ever done that.

The layout and site details combined with it being at a Wawa, makes it an astoundingly safe bet it's a supercharger. Nice find and thanks for the pics, ae.

A Wawa in Delaware has Electrify America chargers. They are mostly at Walmart, Target, Sheetz, and malls. EA lists coming soon sites but this isn't one. Probably a supercharger.

I'm not convinced until I see the hardware. Tesla and EA are not the only companies installing DCFC.

Well done, @petey_boy...I was going to ask them when I stopped in for lunch this afternoon, but you beat me to it.

I work nearby, so should be able to provide some regular pictures on progress and see if I can get a better sense of timing from the hardhat crew...Super excited for the location since it seems like the Plymouth Meeting and KoP sites appear to be on indefinite hold.

Well done, @petey_boyI work nearby, so should be able to provide some regular pictures on progress and see if I can get a better sense of timing from the hardhat crew
Don't bother with asking the crews. They have no real idea and have been explicitly told by Tesla not to give out any info on scheduling. The most they could reliably tell you was when they might expect the construction part to be finished. Which, even if it turns out to be correct, often has little connection to when the site will actually be activated. Too much depends on outside factors--e.g. getting hardware from Tesla, inspection sign-offs, utility transformer installation and grid connection, Tesla commissioning the site, etc.

Don't bother with asking the crews. They have no real idea and have been explicitly told by Tesla not to give out any info on scheduling. The most they could reliably tell you was when they might expect the construction part to be finished. Which, even if it turns out to be correct, often has little connection to when the site will actually be activated. Too much depends on outside factors--e.g. getting hardware from Tesla, inspection sign-offs, utility transformer installation and grid connection, Tesla commissioning the site, etc.
That is PECO territory. Anyone know if they are slow to install and connect? I don't recall the length of time for the Philly SCers to be brought on line.

I dug through Bensalem's zoning site but couldn't find anything, looks like their minutes don't go back far enough.

6 Stalls is a bit odd though, they aren't really doing 6 stall sites anymore. Its possible it could be another network's charger although I'm not sure Wawa has ever done that.

Also depends on how much peak electricity PECO can provide. PECO is terrible. They should take a leaf out of Delmarva power’s playbook.

Quick update after my driveby this afternoon...

To all those that thought it was odd that they were building a 6 stall supercharger...It looks like you were right.

I am guessing that they weren't done digging trenches and laying conduit when I got my initial pictures, as they were back at it today digging holes at the 7th parking spot, and I assume that will be followed by the 8th shortly thereafter.

I couldn't get any pictures since they were actively working and I didn't want to be "that guy", but I will try for some tomorrow.

Progress is slow, but at least it is progress.