Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unannounced (surprise!) Tesla Delivery - Part 2: How to Deal w/ Delivery Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hi All,

I posted a thread last week about our experience moving to another state, and Tesla forcing us to accept delivery of a Model Y by dropping it off at our future house days before we had even moved into the house! (you can read more in the thread here),

Update since we finally got somewhat unpacked and things are a little more sane from the move: There are even more issues that I uncovered with the car in addition to what I posted in the last thread, and Tesla has not responded to any of my calls, voicemails or emails:
  • grease/handprints on the fabric next to the driver side door
  • cover for the beam next to the windshield (what is that pillar called?) on the driver side does not stay on (it's loose and rattles while driving) - you can see it through the windshield in the attached photo
  • loud heat pump (on a hot day it's louder than what i've heard in youtube video reviews)
  • gaps in the chargeport cover
  • gaps in the tail lights
I have left voicemails for the delivery rep the last two days this week and haven't gotten any response.

What do you think I should do about these issues? Is there another number or department that I should reach out to?

(edit, formatting)

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_190809.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190809.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20200709_190835.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190835.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200709_190848.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190848.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20200709_190940.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190940.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200709_190946.jpg
    IMG_20200709_190946.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200709_191010.jpg
    IMG_20200709_191010.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200709_191053.jpg
    IMG_20200709_191053.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200709_191104.jpg
    IMG_20200709_191104.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 118
  • grease/hand prints on the fabric next to the driver side door
  • cover for the beam next to the windshield (what is that pillar called?) on the driver side does not stay on (it's loose and rattles while driving) - you can see it through the windshield in the attached photo
  • loud heat pump (on a hot day it's louder than what i've heard in youtube video reviews)

* loud heat pump (on a hot day it's louder than what i've heard in youtube video reviews)

confirm the grill shutters open and close on the front of the vehicle. Should be visible and audible. If those don't move as they should get them fixed by Tesla. They'll do that well enough, I wouldn't worry. Even if it isn't the grill shutters, let them know about this one and they'll probably fix it.

Get Tesla to address these, be calm, firm, and polite until you get these addressed. Should be straightforward.

• grease/hand prints on the fabric next to the driver side door
This one I'd just pay someone to clean or clean yourself. Not worth trying to get Tesla to address, tack it on a list but don't freak if they don't fix it. Don't be surprised if when things above that you need fixed get fixed there are more smudges somewhere. Push it if the do something obvious but if you can clean it yourself that might be the best option.

Keep looking for more issues (use a flashlight and a checklist) but if you don't find any I'd keep this one and get them to fix what they can.

• Informative
Reactions: GeneParmesean
Is this something that you can request to be fixed using the tesla app to schedule a service? From what I have read, your best bet is to open a service request and they'll schedule an appointment to fix it. Unfortunately, you probably have to go to Dedham, MA unless the mobile truck can fix the issues.

I agree with the stain on the pillar. Get some Optimum No-Rinse and some microfiber rags. A quick detailing solution of ONR works wonders - I got 4 year old coffee off my wife's headliner in her outback!

Keep in mind that I am not 100% sure of this process but I'm watching as I hope that my Tesla shows up sometime in the next week (or 2?!?). I have a feeling that I'll have the same issues you do as our vehicles are pretty close in build times.

@GeneParmesean Raise a service request through your app, list all the issues in there. The delivery person is all about getting the vehicle delivered to you, service will take over with any issues and I'm sure they'll be able to help with all of this. Tesla isn't really a phone-based operation - using the app is quicker, more efficient and will capture your issues more accurately.

Hi All,

I posted a thread last week about our experience moving to another state, and Tesla forcing us to accept delivery of a Model Y by dropping it off at our future house days before we had even moved into the house! (you can read more in the thread here),

Update since we finally got somewhat unpacked and things are a little more sane from the move: There are even more issues that I uncovered with the car in addition to what I posted in the last thread, and Tesla has not responded to any of my calls, voicemails or emails:
  • grease/handprints on the fabric next to the driver side door
I have left voicemails for the delivery rep the last two days this week and haven't gotten any response.

What do you think I should do about these issues? Is there another number or department that I should reach out to?

(edit, formatting)

What's the VIN range on this and do you happen to know the build date? Should find that date on the inside, drivers side door (I think). Curious when this one may have been built and if it was part of the end of quarter rush.

Reactions: slamper
Welp, after leaving two voicemails in two days, I got another text message asking me to confirm delivery. I said no and asked for a call back and eventually one of the reps in New Jersey reached out. He said he'd take notes of the issues and asked me to schedule an appointment with the closest service center to get them rectified at no charge. But he also asked me to confirm delivery of the vehicle. I'm a little uncomfortable seeing as how terrible the delivery experience was, but i'm also thinking maybe i need to just let them know that yes, the car is in my possession.

What do you all think? Should I confirm delivery at this point or wait until the issues have been fixed?

Edit - Just saw the other responses, I will look up the VIN and build date at the end of the day, once i can get away from my desk.

Yep, i got pushed to go to the service center. Since it's down in Boston I had to set it up for a few weeks from now. Does anyone know how long these things take? Should the car be available again by the end of the day?

Oh and for those who asked, the VIN ends in 8501. June 2020.

* loud heat pump (on a hot day it's louder than what i've heard in youtube video reviews)

confirm the grill shutters open and close on the front of the vehicle. Should be visible and audible. If those don't move as they should get them fixed by Tesla. They'll do that well enough, I wouldn't worry. Even if it isn't the grill shutters, let them know about this one and they'll probably fix it

what do you do to make them open/close?

what do you do to make them open/close?

The louvers will open or close based on the amount of air the car needs to pull past the freon condensing coils (Otmar is correct in this placement).

As the Freon chilling system provides cooling for both the battery pack/drive-unit loop, and cabin Air conditioning, there are a number of circumstances where the car will command them open based on the needs of either.

The car will close them for better aero efficiency at speed if it doesn't need the airflow past the condenser coils. One example is that the ambient outside flow/temp is sufficient to provide "passive" battery cooling via center radiator, and there's no need for cabin A/C.

So to answer what do you do to make them open or close, just charge the car on a hot day while running A/C should make them open. But they shouldn't always be open.