Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things are getting bad.
Every time I drive my M3 after a bit I get the warnings that regenerative braking isn't available and HOLD isn't available etc. etc.

And, indeed, there is no regenerative braking.

Gives me a sick feeling in my stomach, like going over the top of a roller coaster, when I take my foot off the gas and it keeps going with no braking.

This is at least the 4th time. Maybe more.

I've only got a bit over 2,000 miles on it and the anniversary of her delivery is coming up on the 16th.

So it should be under warranty I would think.

Should I have mobile service or take it in to Scottsdale?

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
2,000 miles in a year? Need to drive a little more.

Reduced regen braking is to be expected in colder weather and with fuller batteries.
The Hold is a little suspicious though.

Really need to drive a little more, that car is costing you way too much per mile.

Normal for this to happen when battery is cold or almost full. If that is not the cause, perhaps get it into the shop for evaluation.
==========
Well it has been cold at night here lately but at the time I was driving the temp was in the 50's.
I have my charging set to stop at 80%, so the battery isn't full.
Strangely it lets me drive for awhile before things crap out. Everything should be warm enough.
I could see it if it happened immediately when I left the driveway, but I can go and park and come back out and WHAM then it happens or drive for a few miles and it happens.

They must have gone to Apple for their computers. :)

==========
Well it has been cold at night here lately but at the time I was driving the temp was in the 50's.
I have my charging set to stop at 80%, so the battery isn't full.
Strangely it lets me drive for awhile before things crap out. Everything should be warm enough.
I could see it if it happened immediately when I left the driveway, but I can go and park and come back out and WHAM then it happens or drive for a few miles and it happens.

They must have gone to Apple for their computers. :)

I'd classify this as probably abnormal. You're describing a complete loss of regen, not limited, correct?

This sounds like more of a fault related to wheel speed sensors or something. There's a note in the manual that switching tires (e.g. between winters/summers) can cause loss of regen for a bit while it determines how they behave compared to what it used to know. This is similar to how many cars will go into all sorts of faults with the traction control system if you install a different size tire than the rest.

Do you have the same tires all the way around? Tire pressures normal?

If you can somehow get into contact with service so they can remotely diagnose why your car turned off regen during those times, that would beat needing to drive out for sure. But in any case, definitely see if you can get mobile service to come out some day.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Why would you say this? I have used Mac computers for over 30 years and have virtually zero issues. The only time I ever even need to reboot is when I get an update.

Sounds like you haven’t had to support an enterprise environment with well over a thousand Macs. Trust me, they’re as problematic as anything else :D

Anyway, as others have said sounds like the battery is fully charged or cold leading to reduced regen. Since he’s in Arizona though I’d be surprised if the battery got cold enough to cause a significant temporary loss of regen.

Don’t want to keep derailing this thread. Sure, the end users are likely happier. Myself and others who have to support them? Not as much. Like I said, in my 16 years of supporting large enterprise environments the Apple machines have just as many problems as the ones running Windows. You’re just one of the lucky ones that don’t run into many issues.

Ok, back to thread topic! @Arizona Willie, what % do you typically charge to?

Anyway, as others have said sounds like the battery is fully charged or cold leading to reduced regen. Since he’s in Arizona though I’d be surprised if the battery got cold enough to cause a significant temporary loss of regen.

Depending where he is, and possibly parked outside, it’s been below freezing in a lot of the state at night...

Sounds abnormal imo.

Don’t want to keep derailing this thread. Sure, the end users are likely happier. Myself and others who have to support them? Not as much. Like I said, in my 16 years of supporting large enterprise environments the Apple machines have just as many problems as the ones running Windows. You’re just one of the lucky ones that don’t run into many issues.

Ok, back to thread topic! @Arizona Willie, what % do you typically charge to?
============
80%