TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unbelievable.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bthienthai, Apr 18, 2018.

1. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

Just randomly checked my account today and got this. It's surreal. They didn't email me at all. I wasn't counting days or anything, but when I got it, I had to really look again just to make sure that it's real. To be honest, I kind of lost faith when my estimate was moved from Jan-March to April-June. But I guess they weren't overestimating after all.
    Now the hard part is to decide if I should pull the trigger :)

Attached Files:

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 2
  2. LBusDoor90

LBusDoor90 Member

DO IT! All the cool kids are doing it!

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  3. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

And now it becomes real. Guess It's easier to drop a fully refundable $1K than it is to drop a non refundable $49k+.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Yeah I never got an e-mail when they unlocked my ability to configure either. Nothing was ever in my junk folder. For some reason they kept referring to the backup contact on my account for all communication (even when they called to confirm delivery).

Grats!

• Informative x 1
  5. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I also just got an invite today even though I purchased one exactly one month ago. Kinda tempted to buy another Model 3...

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  6. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Do it! Elon needs the money........and some sleep!

• Funny x 2
  7. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

It's just that the cost is a lot more than I anticipated. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me, you know with the 35K starting price now ballooning to almost 60k (with tax). I can totally afford it. I'm just trying to justify with myself. Agh...Anyone here wants to buy a Mercedes C class? :)

• Like x 3
  8. galbrecht7

galbrecht7 Member

Sounds very similar to how I found out today. I had just got home from running errands, and was thinking about the nice S that had passed me while out, day dreaming about being an owner soon... So thought what the hell, I’ll check my account for the 10th time today. I was shocked to see the Ready to Design button. Almost dropped my phone. Funny how all the back & forth on which color I wanted, if I should defer or not, all went away as soon as I could actually configure. It took me probably 60 seconds to complete the process haha. No hesitation. I thought 2 years of waiting was bad, these next few weeks will be excruciating...

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Same thing just happened to me... (even though my estimate on tesla.com yesterday said May-July)

Of course I had a turo rental scheduled for first week in May as a final "yes I'm sure I want it" thing so rational thought says to still wait on that at least.

10. Robwoodruff

Robwoodruff Member

Definitely buy it. You will like it way better than the mercedes. Driving a Tesla is much more fun than driving any other car I have ever owned.

• Like x 2
  11. sooner

sooner Member

Reservation dates for you lucky people?

12. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

It’s been 8 days since I got my VIN and I can tell you that the time from configure (3/22) to getting my VIN was bad but the time after VIN to delivery is so much worse...exponentially worse. These 8 days have felt like 30. I’m still only tentatively getting my car on 4/30...yet to be finalized.
    Speaking of “seems like”....

• Funny x 2
  13. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

You think so? My '15 C300 is the best one I have so far. I can't imagine how much better the M3 would be.

14. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

I reserved online on night of reveal. As soon as I saw the car, I clicked :)

15. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

My boss upgraded from a 2015 C300 (leased) to a Model 3 a few months ago. He said he likes his Model 3 a lot better than his old C300 and cited the smoothness and handling as major advantages of the Model 3. Of course, his primary reason for getting it was AutoPilot.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. bthienthai

bthienthai Member

Holy crap. AutoPilot is also the main reason why I'm considering M3. Other than that, I'm already happy with the handling of the Merc. Maybe mine has a sport package and your boss' doesn't? The handling is a world of difference between sport and non-sport. I had a base loaner from the dealer once and it was awful.

17. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I'm pretty sure he had a non-sport model. He's always hated driving so he was surprised by how much fun he had driving the Model 3. Still, he went as far as to get full self driving on it even if he has to wait years for it to be ready. First car he's ever bought instead of leased.

I can definitely relate to the AutoPilot excitement. Commuting on 405 traffic for an hour+ isn't exactly pleasant after a day of work. :)

• Like x 1
  18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#18 Xenoilphobe, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Every other ICE car I have is awful compared to my Tesla. My 16 year old son won't even ask to drive our 2014 Miata (Supercharged) or the FJ Cruiser also Supercharged - once I let him drive the Tesla once, all he talks about is how crappy all our other cars are and that we should sell them!!!!! Once you go Tesla you don't go back... believe me - I'm on my 3rd Model S, wife stole the first one, I bought another and then she wanted AP, so we got another one!.

Grasshopper - fear is the only darkness - that C300 will feel like a riding lawnmower after you have driven the Model 3. If you want a more sporty suspension (which I get - I drive a P85+ for a reason too), there are already aftermarket options for the 3 -- Vendor - Mountain Pass Performance Intro | Model 3 Coilovers + Rear Suspension Arms

When I get mine this is the first change, followed by the lightest 18 inch mono-block forged wheels I can find ~ 17 lbs each verses ~23 lbs for the stock wheels.

You can't hear the Grasshopper yet either because your perspective of good is really distorted by the glorified steam engine you have been driving your whole life.

• Like x 2
  19. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Yep. Right now I’m frozen, torn between the red and Midnight Silver colors. Going to have to decide soon, but damn it’s hard.

20. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

The Model 3 truly handles extremely well. Subjectively I think it's more responsive than my old BMW M3. The car reacts at the most subtle turn of the wheel. The steering wheel diameter is small, meaning even smaller distances needed to turn to get the same response. It's also a very stiff wheel in sport mode so the car is very easy to control.

You take those characteristics and then add in the instantaneous torque, the tight turning radius, and the quiet, single speed motor of a quality EV... I don't know. I don't think I can do the experience justice by trying to describe it with words. You'll get it once you take the car for a spin. Driving an ICE will be forever painful.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1