Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbiased 2-month review of 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Cargo capacity is significant considering the overall size of the vehicle.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Winter handling is pretty good overall.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).
- There are many other minor pros but they aren't necessarily game-changers.

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.
- Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

received_641836400730277.jpeg

snip
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
snip
I generally agree with most of what you've got. I love not going to gas stations anymore!

Big drop in range when cold out (-15C or lower); I had two recent trips in -20C and lower (1000km + each trip). But I was expecting that and the SC network here was great (AB). I'm not sure where you are located but I thought the costs were very reasonable compared to gas (for the same trip). In my ICE vehicle it would have been around 220$ +/- but the Tesla was 95$. This will only improve with better weather.

My experience so far with AP has been great, I used it the entire trip (without a single event). But I understand that other peoples' experiences have not been the same so that is unfortunate. I agree though, it would be nice to have a "dumb" cruise control option as well. I found that the AP would engage the wipers several times when not necessary.

Yeah, the fan control button is a little small, I try and set it and forget it as I have sausage fingers lol.

Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable
Agreed, and being forced to stop and stretch, etc.. every couple of hours is best, along with all that storage!
As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE.
Was better before updates, has sucked for me recently too so hoping for software fixes soon...
Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.
Used to be a fan, now he's really off the rails - needs to focus.

I generally agree with most of what you've got. I love not going to gas stations anymore!

Big drop in range when cold out (-15C or lower); I had two recent trips in -20C and lower (1000km + each trip). But I was expecting that and the SC network here was great (AB). I'm not sure where you are located but I thought the costs were very reasonable compared to gas (for the same trip). In my ICE vehicle it would have been around 220$ +/- but the Tesla was 95$. This will only improve with better weather.

My experience so far with AP has been great, I used it the entire trip (without a single event). But I understand that other peoples' experiences have not been the same so that is unfortunate. I agree though, it would be nice to have a "dumb" cruise control option as well. I found that the AP would engage the wipers several times when not necessary.

Yeah, the fan control button is a little small, I try and set it and forget it as I have sausage fingers lol.
Thanks for your feedback, great perspectives. I am located in SE B.C. and that cold drive was across highway 3 in Southern Alberta and Highway 1 in Sask. I have also experience that AP wiper glitch - wish I could override the wipers to manual even when using AP... haha.

You are correct about the cost relation for ICE to Y. The frustration is just that in unfavorable weather the charging requirements increase while the cost savings decrease... but like you said it is still reasonably good, and will get better.

Agreed, and being forced to stop and stretch, etc.. every couple of hours is best, along with all that storage!

Was better before updates, has sucked for me recently too so hoping for software fixes soon...

Used to be a fan, now he's really off the rails - needs to focus.
Great responses, thanks! I do love being forced to take breaks and stretch. It also helps reduce my travel anxiety of trying to get where I'm going as fast as possible while eating the worst food and making the quickest stops along the way. Now I accept from the get-go that I will be stopping here and there and I enjoy the breaks rather than try to rush back to the road. Your last comment is awesome, haha.

Minor CONS:
--Snip--
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
--Snip--

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.
- Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.
You can adjust the headlight position in the Service Menu. I got flashed relatively often when I first got the car. After a while I decided to try lowering the headlight beam position and don't think I've been flashed since.

AP phantom braking seems to be a bit location specific. I haven't really experienced any in my one year+ of ownership, but I have a friend that has and obviously we read about it here a lot. Hopefully they can continue to tweak the software to improve this.

I haven't gotten the holiday update 44.25 yet, but apparently the fan speed control has adjustment buttons again instead of slider in this update. I never adjust the fan speed so I don't really know how hard it is to adjust while driving.

Yes, I too think Elon is a tool. Hopefully his antics never get to the level where it makes me not want to drive Tesla, because I really love the car.

You can adjust the headlight position in the Service Menu. I got flashed relatively often when I first got the car. After a while I decided to try lowering the headlight beam position and don't think I've been flashed since.

AP phantom braking seems to be a bit location specific. I haven't really experienced any in my one year+ of ownership, but I have a friend that has and obviously we read about it here a lot. Hopefully they can continue to tweak the software to improve this.

I haven't gotten the holiday update 44.25 yet, but apparently the fan speed control has adjustment buttons again instead of slider in this update. I never adjust the fan speed so I don't really know how hard it is to adjust while driving.

Yes, I too think Elon is a tool. Hopefully his antics never get to the level where it makes me not want to drive Tesla, because I really love the car.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback and the recommendations. I'll try the headlight fix! The fan speed adjustment buttons were before my time - I think that would help a lot. 100% agree with your final comment, I have the same thoughts haha.

Reactions: electric_three
You're welcome!
You’ll learn that anyone who says anything at all negative here about the vehicle is immediately labeled as a troll.

The climate control is a lot less user friendly than it used to be. Last year the holiday update brought a new GUI that changed how the user interacts with the vehicle. If you have a spare 72 hours or so you can search the forum for all of the discussion (rants) related to that.
FSD is vaporware. I was part of the beta til this month and have very little confidence that it’ll be anything more than a party trick any time in the near future.

Despite those annoyances (and I agree with pretty much all of your cons) I love the vehicle; no product is perfect.

This is a fair review, and pretty closely mirrors my experience. A lot of positives, a few minor issues that are easily overlooked, but that TACC/AP issue is still really bad. It startles you as the driver having to deal with all this random braking, but to my wife and daughter it's even worse. On road trips they are often dozing off in their seats, then getting awakened suddenly when the car feels like it's stabbing the brakes. Naturally, you flash awake thinking something has gone wrong and get that sudden adrenaline rush, your heart rate spikes, then you realize that it's just the dumbass car doing its little freakout...again. Sigh, try to relax, start to drift off to sleep...BOOM, happens again. It has me right on the edge of selling the car, really. At some point you just can't trust that the computer isn't going to betray you at any given moment. To your last point, it's getting hard to be associated with Elon and his insane cult.

Thanks for the balanced review!

In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles).
You might want to check out the products from the Canadian company EVinsulate. They can cut your wintertime range loss in half. Not cheap but well engineered.

IMO if Teslas were designed and built in Canada then these would be standard equipment. I'm still surprised Tesla missed these easy opportunities to boost efficiency.

Autopilot works well for me here in rural New Mexico. I use it for most of my driving. It is one of my favorite features. It's been a long time since I've experienced phantom braking. Back when it was more common I would rest my foot lightly on the accelerator and push it gently when the car started to slow down. I still use this technique when I see the car is probably going to slow down due to a vehicle braking to turn or a vehicle crossing my lane.

Oh yes, a few months ago autopilot saved the life of a young deer that darted in front of my car. AP started emergency braking before I even saw the deer and we missed hitting it by inches.