Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this setup to be much better than cat/exhaust humps leading to crap posture. Specially a lack of clutch pedal. With autopilot on I notice I'm sitting flat which after a road trip feels way better. Also guilty of buying cheap office chairs and finding out later in my 30's those chairs were not designed for 6'+ tall guys.

6'3" 225. I'd consider getting a trigger roller or ball, and check your quads for knots/muscle shortening due to recent activity. Getting old sucks. I always look at new things (pillows, beds, office chairs, couches) as adjustments for better or worse. Good luck sorting out the irritation.

Reactions: Noflash
Oh crap. This is only my 4th day with the car and today I drove the most miles so far - 30 miles? Both sides of my hips are sore! I'm 6'3", 200 lbs. Please tell me the seats break in.
Ok so we have a model we just got about a month ago. Car is ridiculously awesome, our first Tesla. I’m 6’2 and 235lbs athletic build. The side bolsters on the drivers seat NOTICEABLY press against my hips. It’s not very comfortable but it’s somewhat tolerable until we did a 400 mile trip. I definitely was not liking it.

So here’s the solution I found and it 100% solves the problem for me. I purchased a seat cushion from Walmart and I’ve included a picture. It does raise you up just about an inch but with all the headroom it’s no problem. It raises me up just enough that it relieves the pressure on my hips and it is extremely comfortable. Hopefully this works for you bigger people.

Attachments

• AA4A21D9-E8A3-4D0F-A9AF-43D30D521554.jpeg
    AA4A21D9-E8A3-4D0F-A9AF-43D30D521554.jpeg
    653.8 KB · Views: 551
  • BEAA14D5-8E8E-4604-B850-F50B4A770BB3.jpeg
    BEAA14D5-8E8E-4604-B850-F50B4A770BB3.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 412
I’m the original poster and have had my MYP for 5 months. I commute 60 miles a day and still experience hip pain. I’ve tried several seat pads to make the left bolster less pronounced but have yet to find one that alleviates the pain. I found that the best position is all the way up, flattened and a seat pad. This configuration however puts my head 3 inches from the glass roof.

I’m the original poster and have had my MYP for 5 months. I commute 60 miles a day and still experience hip pain. I’ve tried several seat pads to make the left bolster less pronounced but have yet to find one that alleviates the pain. I found that the best position is all the way up, flattened and a seat pad. This configuration however puts my head 3 inches from the glass roof.
Have you considered going to a seat upholsterer? The could build up the bottom or remove from the bottom side bolster.

You are joking right? Tesla has most comfortable seats I have ever seat in. I owned about 16 cars including luxury brands.
Like people have said, it subjective. If you have a narrow butt/hip/upper thigh then I am sure it is just fine.
I'm a middle aged woman and have that area a bit bigger. It is the bolsters on the sides that do it. I had that issue on the Bolt too but not as bad as the MY. I just dropped off an over night testing of the MY. Not only does it set off my Sciatica but also numbs my right arm and right side face (it's a pinched nerve thing).
On the bolt I put a memory foam piece under the middle sections between the bolsters. This helped a great deal and didn't interfere with the heated seats.

And that headrest..... no, just no. I like to sit up straight and you just can't with the head rest.
I so wanted to love this car but if driving over an hour in it does this to me then maybe it would not work out in the end :(

I definitely echo your thoughts. Just my left side and it is actually painful on my left foot. 6ft 210. Been driving decades and never had a car seat this uncomfortable.

I can feel a ridge inside the foam bolster that I'm wondering if it is the issue. I seriously may take the seat apart or go to an upholster down the street to modify this.

There may be some kind of thin seat cushion that may work also. My commute is only a few miles each way for now but I am still feeling it and it's ****ing annoying

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and Noflash
I'd hate to start messing with shaving the seat cushion, but I suppose this is an option.

I did :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
This seems like a Jekyll & Hyde thing regarding seat comfort. Could there be some defective cushions going out?

6'2" 200ld 67 yr. old male picking up my Fremont MYLR on March 29th (10 days). This has me nervous since I'm buying sight unseen and without a test drive (nearest showroom is 2-1/2 hours away). Panel gaps, fit/finish, paint, etc. seem to have greatly improved from reports I'm reading, but were my main worry until reading this thread.

My model 3 seats are extremely uncomfortable. In 1 week I have developed sciatic pain and have stopped driving the car. I’m searching for upholsters who can help with the seat. My previous Honda Accord had better seats than Model 3. I never had this problem with any of my cars. I see many people have complained about the quality of the seats and lower back pains, yet there is no action. Perhaps a class action is the way to go.
I’m having the same problem. I just got my model 3 last week and my left thigh/butt is bothering me from the holster. I have been having an issue with my left hip for sometime and this made it very uncomfortable. I traded in a 2011 Infiniti G37x I had for 8 years and never had this problem. I’m really kicking myself for trading in my old car. I love everything else about the model 3 but I don’t think I can keep this car if it’s this uncomfortable to drive.

We’re you able to find a solution to your problem? I wondering if the Gen 1 seat for the mode 3 would be a better option. I’d be curious to know.

I've had my MYP for several days now and am experiencing discomfort with the driver seat. Specifically the left bolster seems to dig into my left hip. I'm 6'/200lbs with white seats. The best position so far was to raise the seat to flatten the seat pad. Is there a break-in period or will this be persistent?
I am 6"4" and 240 pounds. On Test drives I found the Black Y seats OK. However, I have ordered the white seats. I hear that the white cushion is much softer than the black and wonder therefore, with my weight, whether I will over compress the cushion. I have been an X3 driver for 10 years. The seats have always been very comfortable without any deterioration or sunken cushions but that's BMW. Any heavy weights with white seats out there? Your feed back will be appreciated.