Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently picked up 23 MYP and the driver seat is uncomfortable. The bolsters dig into my hip and make it bad after like 20 min. I sat in passenger seat and it’s fine. I had a 22 LR and the driver seat was soo comfortable. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the problem is. The bottom seat cushion doesn’t have enough padding??? My wife thinks I’m crazy because she sat in both and said they are the same. Ugh

Recently picked up 23 MYP and the driver seat is uncomfortable. The bolsters dig into my hip and make it bad after like 20 min. I sat in passenger seat and it’s fine. I had a 22 LR and the driver seat was soo comfortable. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the problem is. The bottom seat cushion doesn’t have enough padding??? My wife thinks I’m crazy because she sat in both and said they are the same. Ugh

the issue is likely that theres multiple generations of seats but only gen 1 and 2 differ visually enough to easily differentiate them. I know the german teslas actually have quite different bolsters which the germans described as "less american" (whatever that means....)

I wouldnt think of the passenger seat being different. I can sit in my seat all day if its not in a driving position. its in a driving position when it starts digging into the tighs etc...

This could be just due to slightly different seat position. I noticed that I’m also very sensitive to seat comfort and usually there is one very specific position in which they don’t bother me. If you’re transferring your settings between cars using your Tesla account, the seats may still be slightly offset. (Run calibration first)

Reactions: Bob2C
Recently bought this aftermarket seat bottom cover with leg extender to reduce side bolster pinch. It’s foam padded and not as stretchy as the OEM vegan so it raises me up enough to feel comfortable now. I have only used it around town, no road trips yet. It may break in and sink in after a while so will update in a couple months after trip to Cali in March.
This did not raise me up high enough on my trip to Cali where I put 1300 miles on the trip. Still sore. Still sinking in.
I bought a memory foam seat pad on Amazon and cut it to fit under seat bottom cover.
I cut it to fit the back half of the seat.
This eliminates the tear down of the OEM seat and allows for easy seat cover removal to adjust sizing, modification of the memory foam. So far it has been outstanding for around town. Will update after 800 mile road trip at end of May.

As I've aged, I notice that I'm senstive to most automotive seats with aggresive side bolsters. For me, it's just sensitivity in the socket where my hip joins my leg (I'm sure there's a name for it, but if I used it, it might make me sound smarter than I am). Actually, the most comfortable drivers seat I've been in lately was in my recently departed Nissan Leaf. And I'm not going back from a Model 3 to that car just for the seats! I just put up with it. I notice that after an a little while, I grow to ignore it as it doesn't worsen as I sit in the seat over time. I imagine, after awhile, the seats will break in a bit more and it might be less noticeable.

This did not raise me up high enough on my trip to Cali where I put 1300 miles on the trip. Still sore. Still sinking in.
I bought a memory foam seat pad on Amazon and cut it to fit under seat bottom cover.
This eliminates the tear down of the OEM seat and allows for easy seat cover removal to adjust sizing, modification of the memory foam. So far it has been outstanding for around town. Will update after 800 mile road trip at end of May.
Are you putting the additional foam under the aftermarket seat bottom cover with leg extender? Looking to do something similar.

Are you putting the additional foam under the aftermarket seat bottom cover with leg extender? Looking to do something
Are you putting the additional foam under the aftermarket seat bottom cover with leg extender? Looking to do something similar.
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_1961.jpeg
IMG_1959.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg

Reactions: TydalForce
BMW sport seats 10 way adjustable . The BMW thigh support adjustment is the
best part for me . Just need a little more from the model y, The Y seats fit me pretty well and are soft enough just not long enough to get comfortable on long trips . I bought one of those basenor's but it's a pain to mount it mostly due
to the cover that comes under from the seat back, making it nearly impossible to
work with.

Going to talk to a local auto upholstery shop tomorrow to see if they have any ideas. I’ve had my model 3 since Christmas and till this day every time I drive in the car I have lower back or hip pain. I’ve tried, adjusting the seat, 100 different ways, and if it feels better for a little while it eventually gets worse again.

Do you have a link to the seat cushion you got off Amazon?

I'll add this. my 2019 White seats are one of the most comfortable seats I've owned. With that said, three rented Teslas, 2 M3 and 1Y and I would never buy a Tesla based on those seats. In fact, I hated the 2021 Y so much I canceled my own Y order and just ate the 250USD fee. The two M3s ( 2019 and 2020) were black interior and seem much stiffer than the white.

Reactions: Sans-gas
Whoops, that’s the seat cover. The cushion in link here:
Tsumbay Seat Cushion for Office Soft Memory Foam Seat Cushion with Carry Handle,Washable Cover,Comfortable Coccyx Cushion for Home Office Chair Pad, Car Seat, Wheelchair -Black https://a.co/d/4wXDgg5
Thank you! So you just bought this and cut off the sides and used the middle piece under the rpm cover and it worked fine? Do you have a pic of it all on the seat. Does it look bulky or pudgy?

I'll add this. my 2019 White seats are one of the most comfortable seats I've owned. With that said, three rented Teslas, 2 M3 and 1Y and I would never buy a Tesla based on those seats. In fact, I hated the 2021 Y so much I canceled my own Y order and just ate the 250USD fee. The two M3s ( 2019 and 2020) were black interior and seem much stiffer than the white.
So you think there’s a difference for sure between the white and black seats?