Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find these seats to possibly be the most comfortable seats in any car I have owned. And that is a lot in 55 years of driving. The next closest may have been my '08 Pontiac G8 GT. Or my '67 Mercury Park Lane Brougham.

Last summer I ran into a man at a supercharger sitting in a Plaid. I asked how he liked the car. He said "yeah, it's pretty quick but I may sell it because I don't like the seats." I asked "Really? I thought they were pretty comfortable." He replied, " I weigh 290. It feels like I'm sitting on a beer case."

I guess someone like that may have a problem. Also, "pretty quick" won the understatement of the year award.

I find these seats to possibly be the most comfortable seats in any car I have owned. And that is a lot in 55 years of driving. The next closest may have been my '08 Pontiac G8 GT. Or my '67 Mercury Park Lane Brougham.

Last summer I ran into a man at a supercharger sitting in a Plaid. I asked how he liked the car. He said "yeah, it's pretty quick but I may sell it because I don't like the seats." I asked "Really? I thought they were pretty comfortable." He replied, " I weigh 290. It feels like I'm sitting on a beer case."

I guess someone like that may have a problem. Also, "pretty quick" won the understatement of the year award.
Yeah I’m 6’1, 205. Average frame. Like I said the Y seats are fine. The 3 are just stiffer

I thought the seats in the 3 and Y are identical?
You would think so. But, the seats feel different on my 21 SR+ than my 22 M3P. The 21 SR+ feel softer and the sides don't gouge my hips.
I'm 6' but I have a wide frame so to speak and the side cushion's push into the sides of my glutes/hips. Not horrible, but definitely noticeable. But overall, the seats are great ergonomically and they have great adjust-ability.

You would think so. But, the seats feel different on my 21 SR+ than my 22 M3P. The 21 SR+ feel softer and the sides don't gouge my hips.
I'm 6' but I have a wide frame so to speak and the side cushion's push into the sides of my glutes/hips. Not horrible, but definitely noticeable. But overall, the seats are great ergonomically and they have great adjust-ability.
Did the sides get softer with time?

Are these both new vehicles?

Kinda curious what your waist size is honestly because I'm a big guy and I have absolutely no issues. I mean I came out of a Miata with Recaro seats for crying out loud...

Also I confirmed that the 3 and the Y seats have the same part number in Tesla's parts catalog and that only happens when items are the same (i.e. they don't use the same parts sequence for the type of thing on different vehicles i.e. a seat isn't always part XX; they're literally the same part). So this is pretty weird, what you're describing.

Are these both new vehicles?

Kinda curious what your waist size is honestly because I'm a big guy and I have absolutely no issues. I mean I came out of a Miata with Recaro seats for crying out loud...

Also I confirmed that the 3 and the Y seats have the same part number in Tesla's parts catalog and that only happens when items are the same (i.e. they don't use the same parts sequence for the type of thing on different vehicles i.e. a seat isn't always part XX; they're literally the same part). So this is pretty weird, what you're describing.
Yes, both were new vehicles.

That's kind of personal....lol...
I wear a 34-36 depending on the seamstress. I too came from a Miata and my hips fit fine in it, but my shoulders would kill me on a drive over an hour. Like I said, I have a wide frame. I have to get an XL shirt to fit my shoulders but the mid section of the XL shirt is too big and hangs like drapes.

Bumping this back up in hopes of getting some ideas
If the issue is the bolster butting in too much, some have actually shaved the seat foam under the seat:
Uncomfortable Front Seat(s) / Thigh Bolster Mod

This is not reversible however (other than replacing the seat), and might not be what your particular issue is. There also people that said in that thread that the bolster broke in after a while.

Reactions: rpiotro
Some info first: I have lower back surgery so a seat could make or break my desire to stay with a car.
When I first got my 22 LR in September 2022 I did a 280 miles trip and the seat was killing me. No matter how much I changed the hight, lumbar, back position, etc. it never felt right. It was extremely uncomfortable. Fast forward few months from there, and I feel the seats to be one of the most comfortable ones I have ever have. I don't know if the seats broke in or I did but now it fits like a glove. I recently took another trip of about 280 miles each way plus a lot of local driving. Put over 800 miles in 2 days and it felt great. On the passenger side, my fiancé gets bad (right) leg pain when doing long trips. So I did what any sensible guy would do for his fiancé. I replaced my fiancé and no more leg pain (just kidding, she will kill me if she reads this 😅 )
It could be that she doesn't ride in my car for long trips that much so she isn't used to it and that she is used to her Rav4 much wider seats position.

Hope it gets better for you.

It’s just like there isn’t enough padding in the butt area and it diggs into it. It’s not comfy after a whole
I have a Y and I drove a 3 2 months ago and neither have issues
So, just looking at your problem again and some of your comments.

Before the Y, did you drive an SUV or pickup? The reason I ask, is that the lower leg angle is more vertical in a vehicle with a higher seating position.

Well how does that affect the butt? Well, it means the thigh is more horizontal pressing on the lower seat cushion and distributing the weight over your legs and not just concentrated on your butt. In a 3, the seating position is lower than in a Y or other high-seating position vehicle. That means the legs extend out more, oftentimes the thighs angle up, off the cushion, instead of on the cushion. Thus, the weight of the upper body presses on the butt.

It's not the first time someone has come here complaining about the seat, AND, saying they've tried all the seat positions. The problem is seat discomfort takes time, so you adjust the seat, and it seems no better or worse. You have to drive it, for a while to determine whether a position is better or worse.

So, I had a BMW, it had the best red leather sport seats ever. It had a thigh extension, which made sure I had proper thigh support and distributed the load of my upper body. The seat cushions were actually quite hard, but it was the most comfortable seat ever.

On my Tesla, I had to increase the lower seat cushion angle, raising the front up, so the cushion provided more support to my thighs. Before, I'd get a slight cramp in my right buttock, back when I first got my 3, and after figuring out the problem, I haven't given it a 2nd thought.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
So, just looking at your problem again and some of your comments.

Before the Y, did you drive an SUV or pickup? The reason I ask, is that the lower leg angle is more vertical in a vehicle with a higher seating position.

Well how does that affect the butt? Well, it means the thigh is more horizontal pressing on the lower seat cushion and distributing the weight over your legs and not just concentrated on your butt. In a 3, the seating position is lower than in a Y or other high-seating position vehicle. That means the legs extend out more, oftentimes the thighs angle up, off the cushion, instead of on the cushion. Thus, the weight of the upper body presses on the butt.

It's not the first time someone has come here complaining about the seat, AND, saying they've tried all the seat positions. The problem is seat discomfort takes time, so you adjust the seat, and it seems no better or worse. You have to drive it, for a while to determine whether a position is better or worse.

So, I had a BMW, it had the best red leather sport seats ever. It had a thigh extension, which made sure I had proper thigh support and distributed the load of my upper body. The seat cushions were actually quite hard, but it was the most comfortable seat ever.

On my Tesla, I had to increase the lower seat cushion angle, raising the front up, so the cushion provided more support to my thighs. Before, I'd get a slight cramp in my right buttock, back when I first got my 3, and after figuring out the problem, I haven't given it a 2nd thought.
Before the y I drove a 540i. What you’re saying makes sense. I’m hoping the break in period comes sooner rather than later. I’ll also keep playing around with the settings to see what works better

My complaint about the seats is the side boosters. They press into my right thigh, aggravating an existing condition, and it hurts - especially over long drives. I'm pretty skinny/small, 30" waist, and fit pretty much right between them on the seat
I was using a Purple Portable Seat Cushion (used it on my previous car, too) which worked very well for keeping me off the sides, but it's a little "jiggly" and I never had that firm "butt in the seat" feeling.
As suggested by a friend, I got some EVA Foam. Made a trace of the inner parts of the seat, used the trace to cut the foam, and now I have a 10mm (.4 inch) boost. It's very firm, maybe will be a little uncomfortable on a long drive (haven't done one yet). I'm tempted to cut another segment out of the remaining piece to double up for a little more height.
I'm also tempted to try to figure out how to get this stuff >under< the seat cushion so I get a boost without sacrificing so much softness, but apparently that's best done by removing the seat from the car entirely and I can't get those bolts to budge.

My complaint about the seats is the side boosters. They press into my right thigh, aggravating an existing condition, and it hurts - especially over long drives. I'm pretty skinny/small, 30" waist, and fit pretty much right between them on the seat
I was using a Purple Portable Seat Cushion (used it on my previous car, too) which worked very well for keeping me off the sides, but it's a little "jiggly" and I never had that firm "butt in the seat" feeling.
As suggested by a friend, I got some EVA Foam. Made a trace of the inner parts of the seat, used the trace to cut the foam, and now I have a 10mm (.4 inch) boost. It's very firm, maybe will be a little uncomfortable on a long drive (haven't done one yet). I'm tempted to cut another segment out of the remaining piece to double up for a little more height.
I'm also tempted to try to figure out how to get this stuff >under< the seat cushion so I get a boost without sacrificing so much softness, but apparently that's best done by removing the seat from the car entirely and I can't get those bolts to budge.
The side bolsters are def the issue. I wanna see a auto upholster to see what he can di