Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncomfortable driver seating compare to passenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife first experienced and then I and I bring an experience car friend and he also confirm it. When we seat in the driver side i feels a little uncomfortable seating, tighter and squishy… and when we seat at the passenger side, it immediately feels the difference. More roomy and specious and seat a little more comfortable.

FYI The car was delivery at the beginning of the month. Model Y 2022, 3 rows.

Anybody have same experience? Did got fix by Tesla?

Reactions: Georgesb2 and HSATD
Since it's a new delivery, I would open a ticket with Tesla. Worse case they say no but at the very least, you can have them review it. You can even sit on one of their Y to do a comparison to see if it's there's an actual difference. I wouldn't put it past them to have missed something on your driver seat.

Also, assuming you played around with the lumbar support?

I noticed for my car that the driver seat bottom was more to the right than my passenger side. This means when I sit down I’m a little off center. Also the plastic part on the chair hits me at times depending on how I get in.

I put a service request about this issue. Maybe you’re having this issue as well? When I sit on the passenger side it is definitely more centered and I feel better supported.

I know what you mean...

I have a 2022 Tesla Model 3 P.
I've rebuilt both front seats.
The differences and the only differences are this:

The passenger seat has a thick piece of plastic over the springs and underneath the cushion. (It's a complex weight measuring device) The driver's seat doesn't have one. This has the effect of moving one's bottom upwards, but only in the passenger seat! That in turn allows for a bit more width because your hips are just slightly higher relative the the metal frame that the bolters protect you from, especially towards the rear.

Also,
The passenger seat doesn't have the lumbar air pumps support.
This gives your hips a bit more room. And if you sit a bit higher in the seat it's an additional bonus.

Hope this helps some.
Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Crystal River Florida

Reactions: Bob2C
I know what you mean...

The passenger seat has a thick piece of plastic over the springs and underneath the cushion. (It's a complex weight measuring device) The driver's seat doesn't have one. This has the effect of moving one's bottom upwards, but only in the passenger seat! That in turn allows for a bit more width because your hips are just slightly higher relative the the metal frame that the bolters protect you from, especially towards the rear.

Also,
This gives your hips a bit more room. And if you sit a bit higher in the seat it's an additional bonus.

Hope this helps some.
Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Crystal River Florida
Interesting that the two seats are different. I definitely notice the passenger seat is more comfortable than the drivers side, and if it doesn't sink in as much, that would make a lot of sense.

I was thinking of getting some HD foam and putting a 1/2 -1" layer of it under the driver's seat to help raise the middle portion of the seat in order to remove the pressure from the side bolsters. Do you think that would work George? I know you have a lot of experience with these seats. My plan was to take the 4 bolts off and remove the seat cover as you suggested, seems like a lot of work, but I'm also very sick of the side bolsters digging into my legs.

This was the foam I was considering:

Thanks!

Interesting that the two seats are different. I definitely notice the passenger seat is more comfortable than the drivers side, and if it doesn't sink in as much, that would make a lot of sense.

I was thinking of getting some HD foam and putting a 1/2 -1" layer of it under the driver's seat to help raise the middle portion of the seat in order to remove the pressure from the side bolsters. Do you think that would work George? I know you have a lot of experience with these seats. My plan was to take the 4 bolts off and remove the seat cover as you suggested, seems like a lot of work, but I'm also very sick of the side bolsters digging into my legs.

This was the foam I was considering:

Thanks!
That might help.

On the driver's seat on the Model 3/Y there's a sensor attached to the top off the foam. The wires go through the foam thfough a hole in the foam, underneath the metal frame Z springs and connect underneath the springs to the car wiring.

I cut two foam blocks so there's a slot in between to pass that wire through.

You have to remove the seat bottom from the frame to create enough space to insert the foam.

I found the foam block wasn't enough for me. It might work for you.

The passenger side is different…

Follow up with me if you have more questions or issues.

George Borrelli

Reactions: ev_go123
I know what you mean...

Also,

Hope this helps some.
Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Crystal River Florida
Thanks for the info. I can see now the passenger seat bottom sit slightly higher than the driver seat. My seat is not uncomfortable, just that I can feel the side bolsters for than the passenger side. Snug feeling. You would think the seats would be the same.

Thanks for the info. I can see now the passenger seat bottom sit slightly higher than the driver seat. My seat is not uncomfortable, just that I can feel the side bolsters for than the passenger side. Snug feeling. You would think the seats would be the same.
The seats (driver's and passenger's) are identical but they had to implement a required super sensor in the passenger seat but not in the driver's seat. The way Tesla did it was to insert a rather large "pad" on top of the of the metal springs and under the foam of the seat bottom. I believe that "pad" is part of a sensing system between the sensor and wiring in the faux leather cover on the passenger side. It detects person in the seat but also can differentiate size for safety. The pad isn't all that thick but it illustrates how very small changes, very small, in the seat can be detected by the body of the person.

Reactions: Bob2C
I noticed for my car that the driver seat bottom was more to the right than my passenger side. This means when I sit down I’m a little off center. Also the plastic part on the chair hits me at times depending on how I get in.

I put a service request about this issue. Maybe you’re having this issue as well? When I sit on the passenger side it is definitely more centered and I feel better supported.
Did you ever get a conclusion for this? I'm in the same boat, where I'm sitting about two inches to the right of the steering wheel.

I have the Model 3 and I went to the car to specifically explore this. I feel quite centered. 2" is quite a lot in that sense. I wonder if the Model Y is off center where the other models are not???
Its funny, we also have a model 3 in addition to our Y, and im centered on that. I also sat in a few other model Ys and those are centered as well.

Something i noticed is the seating position. My wife is much shorter than me and in her closer seating position, shes dead centered with the wheel. I sit pretty far back. Maybe the seat rails were installed slanted?

Reactions: Georgesb2
Its funny, we also have a model 3 in addition to our Y, and im centered on that. I also sat in a few other model Ys and those are centered as well.

Something i noticed is the seating position. My wife is much shorter than me and in her closer seating position, shes dead centered with the wheel. I sit pretty far back. Maybe the seat rails were installed slanted?
I sit far back in my model 3, it’s centered.
The track rails are bolted with four bolts to the floor.
I can’t imagine it not bolted.
It world be rather unusual for it to be racked.
But worth looking into.

I just got a new model y and this happens to me. Did the ticket help?