Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncork 90 kWh HV Battery ($750) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good points, thx.

On your buffer point, my understanding from the Tesla Service Center is that the way the 90 is limited to 85 is 5 kWh of the battery pack is simply not used. For example there is 90 kWh of batteries in the pack but only 85 is used, meaning I'm carrying an extra 5 kWh worth of unused battery. So by buffer you mean there's more usable upper and lower buffer if I uncork to 90 kWh?

On your "inconsistent" comment, could you elaborate?
Well if you charge to say 95 you’re really only charging the pack to like 90

So these 1014116-00-C 90kWh 350v packs have an upper buffer to make up the difference to 90 kWh?

No. It's been Tesla's practice of rounding up the real capacities. It goes back to when S85 was introduced. Those cars did not have 85kWh capacity either.

I believe your pack, if it's unlocked, would have ~87.5kWh nominal capacity. But you are locked and ~270 miles RR. That to me means, you have 5kWh of buffer at the bottom and ~6kWh locked at the top. BTW, I'm in the same boat.

No. It's been Tesla's practice of rounding up the real capacities. It goes back to when S85 was introduced. Those cars did not have 85kWh capacity either.

I believe your pack, if it's unlocked would have ~87.5kWh nominal capacity. But you are locked and ~270 miles RR. That to me means, you have 5kWh of buffer at the bottom and ~6kWh locked at the top. BTW, I'm in the same boat.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Reactions: Droschke
or your stomach is churning and you just within range

Great discussion all around but the prairie dogging comment got me. 😂

Sounds like keeping the limit to 85kWh is the way to go. I know the Chevy Volt (and possibly Bolt?) are similar in this matter where 100% charge is really only around 80% of the actual battery capacity to allow for a buffer at the high and low end.

Reactions: NV Ray