Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking 75Ds in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enquired of Weybridge service centre about the status of my VIN (171xxx) in regards to performance upgrade and was informed that my car did not have the hardware required and thus not eligible to be uncorked.

Does anyone in the UK have experience with enquiring on Uncorking of their 75D? It would be useful to know what VIN number you have and the associated outcome (uncorkable or not).

I am hopeful that the UK is just behind the times, compared with out US friends and my car will in fact qualify once new corporate memos are received by the service centres

I've called Leeds and Manchester service today enquiring about by 168XXX VIN 75D. Both told me I was not eligible.

I'm not convinced they are aware of the change in eligibility. Does anyone know if they need to check a different system to the one they generally use to check for uncorking?

The earliest VIN in the States is something like 155XXX and @TEH75D a 171XXX Dec 16 build has just reported being uncorked. Mine is also 171XXX and I too have been told no. A number of people on the FB forum have also had a "no".

The system they need to check, I believe, is called the WARP service system, and I double checked that they had looked at this. The answer was yes they had but no I couldn't have the upgrade.

I cannot believe so many in the States are a yes but we are all no's other than it's a case of the Tesla system not being updated as quickly as the news travels.

I understood you need to have the higher rated inverter for this. Its not just software, but a major change to the DU. You either have the hardware already, or you don't.
In the US you do not need the new drive unit to be on the new uncorking list or for the previous list for an AWD, but the only RWDs we have seen delivered uncorked have the new drive unit. We have not seen any RWDs uncorked after delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Additional info from Tesla Service email...take it for what it’s worth:

“In the past, there were 2 variants of the 75kWh battery pack, while it is true that some 60kWh vehicles were equipped with software limited 75kWh battery packs, there's also another component, similar to a larger fuse, within the high voltage system necessary in order for the performance upgrade to happen. Not all 75kWh battery pack equipped dual motor vehicles have this upgraded component.

Albert ***** | Assistant Service Manager, Mid-South Internal Service, Tesla Motors, Inc.”

In the US you do not need the new drive unit to be on the new uncorking list or for the previous list for an AWD, but the only RWDs we have seen delivered uncorked have the new drive unit. We have not seen any RWDs uncorked after delivery.

@Krash the post above would suggest a rather random nature to the cork or not uncork situation. I’ve seen VIN’s in the same range getting different answers. All rather unsatisfactory if it’s chance that determines whether your car can uncorked or not

So another "DENIED" on my UK S75D... Its a Dec16 deliver with VIN 160XXX... what I find interesting is 2 things talking to both SC and Tesla Support in email: 1. My battery's part number is identical to vehicles being approved elsewhere in the world 2. The language from both is a very specific line, "At the particular time your car was built, the power train was not designed for an enhanced level of performance." Hopeful that for whatever reason, our UK cars have not been added to the database yet and they are trotting out the same line that was in place before we started older cars being uncorked... but what will be, will be...

So another "DENIED" on my UK S75D... Its a Dec16 deliver with VIN 160XXX... what I find interesting is 2 things talking to both SC and Tesla Support in email: 1. My battery's part number is identical to vehicles being approved elsewhere in the world 2. The language from both is a very specific line, "At the particular time your car was built, the power train was not designed for an enhanced level of performance." Hopeful that for whatever reason, our UK cars have not been added to the database yet and they are trotting out the same line that was in place before we started older cars being uncorked... but what will be, will be...

I don't buy the "at the particular time your car was built.." line. My VIN is 171XXX and other 171XXX's built at the same time have both been uncorked and given the "not eligible" line. The earliest uncorked I have seen is an early 2016 VIN150XXX running AP1! The age spread of the cars is far too wide.

The explanation I believe, and based only on what I have read, is that Tesla were using two different parts at the same time. I'd call them fuses but it's probably a bit more technical than that. One is man enough for higher current and the other isn't. It was a matter of luck which one you got and for newer cars they've only been using the better one. Until Tesla provide some clarity this is the only logical explanation.

Those of us that aren't lucky have the inferior component that can't take the higher current and so no upgrade. Needless to say I'm not happy with the current position and have made that known. I have no problem with Tesla making improvements, that's what the brand is all about, but not when it is retrospective and leaves customers who have bought the same product spec with a materially inferior product.

More clarification from Corporate. I don't get the impression that any of the service centers outside of North America have been briefed yet.

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 (clarified Tuesday, October 24, 2017)​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.
  • This update is focused exclusively on 75D. 60D and 70D customers need to pay for the range upgrade to 75D to even be eligible for uncorking as the enhanced performance update.
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.

Last edited:
More clarification from Corporate. I don't get the impression that any of the service centers outside of North America have been briefed yet.

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S and X built before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.​
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.​
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.​

Great update @Krash many thanks. As far as I can tell nobody in the UK has a “yes” so far despite being prompted to check the WARP service schedule. Seems unlikely that list hasn’t been updated but maybe more will unfold over the next few days.

I guess it depends on what the part in question is and where it lives, the other threads on here seem to suggest its battery related or a fuse which I read (and stand to be corrected) which lives in the battery... I checked my battery part no. 1088794-00-A earlier which is the same as a part code of an uncorked car in the US (I think it was, so many scattered threads on this subject)... mine was also previously a 60D which I upgraded the same day the price drop kicked in... guess time and more information will reveal all!

Longshot: Any chance that the relevant part was added locally after the car arrived in Europe (for final assembly)? My thought was that there seems to be negligible number of cars in EU that are eligible (although I haven't read all the threads, so that may be incorrect assumption)

Well the pack is added in Tilburg so that’s a possibility for sure.

So no one from the UK qualifies?

2 potential reasons:
1. either UK owners are being denied upgrade because Tesla USA don't like us and we smell
or
2. they made our cars badly compared to the USA's cars

And we are OK with this?