Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking 75Ds in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly no news for our UK/EU cars.
No reasonable answer as to why either, just the usual BS/party line about eligibility
I don't know what else I can do other than pester Gatwick SC and Tesla escalations.
It is a real pity and I feel let down. However it is Tesla HQs gift to offer it and we are just the unfavoured children not invited to play
I have a small but dwindling hope that HQ will come back to us...

Sadly no news for our UK/EU cars.
No reasonable answer as to why either, just the usual BS/party line about eligibility
I don't know what else I can do other than pester Gatwick SC and Tesla escalations.
It is a real pity and I feel let down. However it is Tesla HQs gift to offer it and we are just the unfavoured children not invited to play
I have a small but dwindling hope that HQ will come back to us...

A member of the Facebook Group has just had his first service done and they uncorked his car!

This was at Gatwick where I’m heading on Thursday morning for an uncorking appointment.

Looks like it is happening in the UK now.

For reference his VIN is 184XXX and mine is 171XXX

Reactions: culverwood
I had a service appointment a few weeks ago from a very friendly ranger, who replaced a door handle.
I was joking that he should give me 10 mins with his laptop to tweek the car, and he confirmed that any 75d could be uncorked by their software, however, the laptop was ”tracked to hell and back” and no amount of bribery or offers of beer money would be enough to make hime do it.
The laptop could also switch on any features such as AP, etc.

Looks like UK are falling behind with uncorking, but its not because they cant, its probably a case of understaffing, as they are very short staffed at my nearest SC

Had a great chat with the overworked Service Department at Gatwick today. I am pleased to report that they are happy to see me for a physical examination of the car to assess for a potential uncorking. So although this is not a guaranteed yes, it is a world on from the blanket no from 3 weeks ago. Going in for a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: DJP31 and BartJ
By arrangement with the excellent Gatwick SC I took my Dec ‘16 VIN 171XXX in to see if it was uncorkable. It was, and has been and OMG the difference is palpable. It wasn’t slow before but now it is extremely quick indeed. I can only imagine what the P100D feels like.

Trying to make sense of the last few weeks since Tesla announced, seemingly only to the Press, that older 75D’s were uncorkable, the only conclusion I can reach is that they just didn’t expect owners to be queuing up for the upgrade on the way that they/we have.

The VIN database is not at all conclusive and if you get a ‘not eligible’ but are a facelift 60D/75D there is a very good chance you are eligible. The only way to be sure is the visit the SC and they do a quick diagnostic test. This will, at least for Gatwick SC and I imagine all others, now be a routine part of the annual service so no need to make a special trip. Yeah right!

I believe the diagnostic test is this, as reported on TMC a number of times:

“PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER has to be greater than 3, in CarLogs.“ Battery pack configuration was about as technical as I could get.

Once this is established the update takes about 90 mins and is software and settings, no hardware (as long suspected).

If you use TeslaFi in the raw data files under ‘performance config’ corked is P3, as mine was until 9.07 this morning. Uncorked is P1 which mine now is.

I asked about the 60D’s and certainly Gatwick’s view is take it in and they will run the diagnostic to double check you are uncorkable before you shell out for the range upgrade.

I do think Tesla could have handled this terrific free upgrade with much better PR and communications, but it is what it is.

Hope this is of help

By arrangement with the excellent Gatwick SC I took my Dec ‘16 VIN 171XXX in to see if it was uncorkable. It was, and has been and OMG the difference is palpable. It wasn’t slow before but now it is extremely quick indeed. I can only imagine what the P100D feels like.

Trying to make sense of the last few weeks since Tesla announced, seemingly only to the Press, that older 75D’s were uncorkable, the only conclusion I can reach is that they just didn’t expect owners to be queuing up for the upgrade on the way that they/we have.

The VIN database is not at all conclusive and if you get a ‘not eligible’ but are a facelift 60D/75D there is a very good chance you are eligible. The only way to be sure is the visit the SC and they do a quick diagnostic test. This will, at least for Gatwick SC and I imagine all others, now be a routine part of the annual service so no need to make a special trip. Yeah right!

I believe the diagnostic test is this, as reported on TMC a number of times:

“PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER has to be greater than 3, in CarLogs.“ Battery pack configuration was about as technical as I could get.

Once this is established the update takes about 90 mins and is software and settings, no hardware (as long suspected).

If you use TeslaFi in the raw data files under ‘performance config’ corked is P3, as mine was until 9.07 this morning. Uncorked is P1 which mine now is.

I asked about the 60D’s and certainly Gatwick’s view is take it in and they will run the diagnostic to double check you are uncorkable before you shell out for the range upgrade.

I do think Tesla could have handled this terrific free upgrade with much better PR and communications, but it is what it is.

Hope this is of help

Thanks for the update - great news for you! And hope for the rest of us!

My service happens to be booked in for next Thursday so I will wait until then.

Out of interest, did they confirm you were 'eligible' over the phone (e.g. did their WARP list get updated) or did they just say 'come in and we'll run the diagnostics to find out whether you are eligible'?

When I phoned my SC this morning it was the same - ineligible. My car is only one month older than yours.

Thanks for the update - great news for you! And hope for the rest of us!

My service happens to be booked in for next Thursday so I will wait until then.

Out of interest, did they confirm you were 'eligible' over the phone (e.g. did their WARP list get updated) or did they just say 'come in and we'll run the diagnostics to find out whether you are eligible'?

When I phoned my SC this morning it was the same - ineligible. My car is only one month older than yours.

After my Executive escalation fell on deaf ears I sent an exasperated email back and copied in my SC. They replied saying I should make an appointment with them for a hardware check. I think they had done a couple by then and realised the VIN WARP list was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

By arrangement with the excellent Gatwick SC

Glad you've got that sorted, and its all that you hoped it would be :)

I do think Tesla could have handled this

Sorry, but I'm at "should" on that. The longer you are a customer the more often you see this sort of shoddy communication happening, and every one of them has been foreseeable, unnecessary and damaging to the brand.

I want Tesla to succeed - big time - and as long as owners are FanBoys this type of thing is usually quickly forgotten. But the imminent wide ownership via M3 is just not going to work with this sort of lousy COMMs.

What a waste of time for all the Support people who have been repeatedly asked the same question, and then had to eat humble pie when they found the answer they had been giving was complete crapola.

And what a waste of your time too (but pleased your badgering has achieved this, I don't suppose anyone, you included, could have dreamt on Day One that the actuality was "99.9% of 75Ds will be eligible")

If you have got time & energy I suggest you get Tesla to recompense you for your time & trouble. Something has to be done to annoy them into doing a better job in future.

Infotainment still in a shocking state, compared to where it should be, and what a wonderful upgrade and PR coup that would be for the whole fleet if they did an outstanding job on Version-2 - rather than the software-facellift we actually had, which a large percentage of the audience hated.

All the talk (maybe that was all it ever was) of replacing NAV with Waze has gone away. Dunno if USA is still on Slacker instead of the real thing :)? but if so that's another major negative.

AP2 is hugely late, I'd be really pissed if I had ordered an AP1 and got AP2 instead ... and still, 12 months later, it was not on-par with AP1, and so it goes on.

Any yet the Model-X OTA release of the Easter-Egg with Dancing-Doors and Flashing-Lights was astonishing ... misplaced priorities from where I sit though.

I have two issues with car which multiple visits to service have not solved. Static on the radio (cured by one software update, returned with the next - if its a software issue then fine, I'll sit and wait for a fix - but not forever ...) and cold-feet - Tesla say the car is working fine and they can't find a problem, every loaner I've had (several now ...) has worked just fine, so clearly Tesla haven't tested it properly. I've told them to give it to the workshop junior for a weekend and tell them to take a road trip, that's fine by me; I'm sure that WOULD enable them to realise that there was a problem, anything so long as it comes back fixed ... anyway, its going back in again in a couple of weeks, I won't take it back this time until they have found a fault and think they have fixed it.

Sadly it aint just me ...

Yours truly, Old Grumpy from East Anglia ...

@mj88 thats excellent news! Did they confirm after having physically looked at the car, or by checking your car against the so called “eligible list”? If it’s the latter that’s a break thorough.
I wrote to them last night following your post and got an email back this AM saying they had checked with an engineer and that I was eligible... read into that what you will... in next Thursday for its boost

I wrote to them last night following your post and got an email back this AM saying they had checked with an engineer and that I was eligible... read into that what you will... in next Thursday for its boost

I’m coming to the view that they made the announcement about the older 75D performance improvements 1. Before telling the staff and 2. Before updating the VIN list to show pre July 17 cars as eligible.

• Informative
Reactions: mj88 and BartJ
I’m coming to the view that they made the announcement about the older 75D performance improvements 1. Before telling the staff and 2. Before updating the VIN list to show pre July 17 cars as eligible.

Birmingham SC appear to be some way behind Gatwick SC - I'm just getting a blanket 'no' and they don't seem to have a clue about uncorking. My car is booked in for a service on Thursday and they have said there is no point carrying out a physical check for uncorking as the system says the hardware is not up to the requisite spec.

Is there a particular person at Gatwick I can speak to (or a name I can give to the Birmingham SC)? Also, is anyone aware of a car older than a 167xxx VIN in the UK which has been uncorked?

Frustrated of Birmingham.