Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking 75Ds in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Birmingham SC appear to be some way behind Gatwick SC - I'm just getting a blanket 'no' and they don't seem to have a clue about uncorking. My car is booked in for a service on Thursday and they have said there is no point carrying out a physical check for uncorking as the system says the hardware is not up to the requisite spec.

Is there a particular person at Gatwick I can speak to (or a name I can give to the Birmingham SC)? Also, is anyone aware of a car older than a 167xxx VIN in the UK which has been uncorked?

Frustrated of Birmingham.

@AMSUK I can understand your frustration. I'm sure there's a couple of owners on the facebook forum who are booked into Birmingham. I'd go back to the SC and I'm sure Ben Nuttall & Julian Smith would be quite happy to speak with them.

When this program was announced via the press Tesla said there was no need to make a special trip as the diagnostic and subsequent uncorking where possible would now be part of the routine servicing, so Birmingham should be doing it routinely anyway.

The test that needs to be run, and the techies there will know what it means is the: "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than3, in CarLogs". I have seen this referred to a few times on different posts across the forums and when I mentioned it at my appointment there was a slight look of "bloody hell how does he know about that." On the occasions I've seen this quoted the quote is concluded with "and yours was a 5".

I'm not sure about the earliest UK VIN but plenty of 167XXX and earlier in the States, so I'd be betting you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
@AMSUK I can understand your frustration. I'm sure there's a couple of owners on the facebook forum who are booked into Birmingham. I'd go back to the SC and I'm sure Ben Nuttall & Julian Smith would be quite happy to speak with them.

When this program was announced via the press Tesla said there was no need to make a special trip as the diagnostic and subsequent uncorking where possible would now be part of the routine servicing, so Birmingham should be doing it routinely anyway.

The test that needs to be run, and the techies there will know what it means is the: "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than3, in CarLogs". I have seen this referred to a few times on different posts across the forums and when I mentioned it at my appointment there was a slight look of "bloody hell how does he know about that." On the occasions I've seen this quoted the quote is concluded with "and yours was a 5".

I'm not sure about the earliest UK VIN but plenty of 167XXX and earlier in the States, so I'd be betting you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks David.

I'm pleased to report that, after repeatedly being told my car is ineligible (including being told on Tuesday that new information has come to light about reliability issues, they've updated the eligibility list and my car is DEFINITELY not on it)...I've just been uncorked at Birmingham SC.

MS75D VIN 167xxx delivered Dec 16.

Hope that gives some hope to others in the same boat!

I'm pleased to report that, after repeatedly being told my car is ineligible (including being told on Tuesday that new information has come to light about reliability issues, they've updated the eligibility list and my car is DEFINITELY not on it)...I've just been uncorked at Birmingham SC.

That's really good news :).

What a pity that Tesla made such an almighty balls up of the whole thing. A massive PR opportunity neatly turned into a communications debacle :(

Here's the tracker for updating/addition to, if you haven't already.

Tesla Uncorking 75D Tracker

Reactions: arg
What are the uncorked 75d performance figures vs a regular 75d?

Is a 70D uncorkable?

The "older" 75D's had a 0-60mph of 5.2 secs and after uncorking this is now 4.2. The "newer" one i.e. post July are 4.2 straight off the production line. It is a huge improvement and very noticeable. Based on PowerTools my power output precorking was 280kW and after being uncorked it's 333kW. I have only had the chance to run a couple of test runs and I've a 4.2 under my belt at 65% state of charge and with a wet road. :)

I've seen 350kW's been reported on other forums so I think with a higher state of charge there's possibly even more in the tank :D

If the 70D is a software locked 75D then after a battery unlock you may be able to have it uncorked, but I'd take it into a Service Centre and see if they can run the diagnostic check before you shell out for the battery unlock. If it's a 70D then I don't think it's uncorkable at all.

Excellent thanks, I haven’t actually bought a Tesla yet (test drive tomorrow) and I’m just trying to work out which is the best one to get for my budget (£50k max really)

The "older" 75D's had a 0-60mph of 5.2 secs and after uncorking this is now 4.2. The "newer" one i.e. post July are 4.2 straight off the production line. It is a huge improvement and very noticeable. Based on PowerTools my power output precorking was 280kW and after being uncorked it's 333kW. I have only had the chance to run a couple of test runs and I've a 4.2 under my belt at 65% state of charge and with a wet road. :)

I've seen 350kW's been reported on other forums so I think with a higher state of charge there's possibly even more in the tank :D

If the 70D is a software locked 75D then after a battery unlock you may be able to have it uncorked, but I'd take it into a Service Centre and see if they can run the diagnostic check before you shell out for the battery unlock. If it's a 70D then I don't think it's uncorkable at all.

Do you know how long the actual procedure took ??

Do you know how long the actual procedure took ??

Mine took about 90 minutes and they say to allow a couple of hours. There are quite a few settings that need to be altered and software loading/ew loading. I noticed that I had a new software update message which was actually reinstalling one I had already had, and then I had the most current one installed straight after that.

Well worth it though! Would just like some dry road to coincide with an opportunity to have another go. I’m sure there’s more in mine, 4.2 sec with 60% ish SoC on a wet road has to be beatable. :D

Sad visit to Gatwick service centre today. It was booked in for physical examination and uncork.

On ringing to check the progress Julian reported that he "had checked the list" and I was ineligible and thus he could not uncork my 75D (Vin 171xxx Jan 2017). I collected my car (also in for a warranty repair for rattle in passenger door) and drove home with passenger door still rattling. Not a good visit.

Looking over the emailed report that Tesla send after the visit it read "update configuration variables and vehicle firmware not possible. Car not on list for uncork, unable to do at this point"

Not sure I can face using Gatwick ever again...

Sad visit to Gatwick service centre today. It was booked in for physical examination and uncork.

On ringing to check the progress Julian reported that he "had checked the list" and I was ineligible and thus he could not uncork my 75D (Vin 171xxx Jan 2017). I collected my car (also in for a warranty repair for rattle in passenger door) and drove home with passenger door still rattling. Not a good visit.

Looking over the emailed report that Tesla send after the visit it read "update configuration variables and vehicle firmware not possible. Car not on list for uncork, unable to do at this point"

Sounds like you've had a crap day. "Unable to do at this point" suggests to me that they can actually do it if they want. I would be surprised if not and would remain hopeful. Sounds like you might need to take it back in anyway for the rattle so perhaps another bite of the cherry...

@TEH75D I really don’t get this. My VIN is also 171XXX 22/12/16 build date. As I’ve reported before I was rejected due to not being on the infamous list, took it to Gatwick and hey presto it’s uncorked. Did they plug the car in do you know? Certainly doesn’t sound like it and I’d be mighty miffed if they haven’t. As well as not dealing with the issue you took the car in for! Unlike Gatwick, in my experience anyway.

When I spoke to Julian yesterday (reminder of the appointment) he was dismissive of the uncorking and only focused on the warranty work on the door rattle. I expressed my primary reason for attending was the uncorking and response was "yea, yea". When I arrived at 8am, Ben wasn't there, only a new chap who was very nice but knew nothing about anything. Julian must have arrived after I had dropped the car off but I had, again, made it very clear to the new chap that the purpose of the visit was the uncorking and the rattle was an after-job.

When rang to check up on the "progress" at lunchtime, I spoke to Julian on the phone, he was immediately on the "unfortunately your car isn't on the list and doesn't have the required hardware". In return I was rather abrupt on the phone, as seriously annoyed at being turned down, and explained that colleagues of similar vintage cars had, at Gatwick, only a week earlier, been uncorked without issue "where is the difference?". He then played the "we are concerned about reliability issues and there is a lot of internal discussion over the uncorking" card.

When I turned up to pick the car up it was still in the workshop. Julian was clearly not happy and said little. Just went to get the car to bring it to the front. It hadn't been cleaned and was still covered in road crud ("no valeters in today", he said). I noticed the car had done an extra 14 miles on the milometer (somewhat of a long road trip to locate noise; or are we running some errands into Crawley?), considering they didn't fix the rattle, I'm not convinced they even took the rattling door card off.

Considering all this I would be stunned if they even considered physically looking at the car for the uncorking. I believe they had made their mind up prior to my arrival not to uncork the car. Perhaps I had blotted my record card...

The difficultly is that it is that the uncorking is a gift from Tesla and I have no right to it. So it is impossible to complain.

Hence with my first service coming up, I think my time with Gatwick should come to an end. Has anyone any experience with Brooklands?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Same. Dropped car in yesterday for FWD realignment at Gatwick. Asked for X75D to be uncorked. Collected today and was told they cannot uncork cos VIN not currently eligible. But they said try again in the future and the VIN might be eligible then. Confusingly was told earlier today that my battery serial number was not uncorkable. But I have same battery model as loads of 75Ds that have been uncorked. It feels very much like excuses are being made up as they go along. A few weeks back I got the standard drive train not up to it excuse. I just wish they would be honest and just explain the real reasons rather than feeding me BS.