Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking for RWD 75 (Non-D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately if it's really under investigation I doubt they'll tell us, due to how upset people would be if they officially say no (as opposed to keeping quiet). I would be thrilled with that kind of performance update, especially since my <1 year old Model S is slower than the Model 3 as it stands.

More clarification from Corporate. I don't get the impression that any of the service centers outside of North America have been briefed yet.

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 (clarified Tuesday, October 24, 2017)​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.
  • This update is focused exclusively on 75D. 60D and 70D customers need to pay for the range upgrade to 75D to even be eligible for uncorking as the enhanced performance update.
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.

Last edited:
Yes, it is really sad to see how poorly this matter has been handled by Tesla since the performance upgrade has become public knowledge in July. :(

Not even the service center managers seem to know what the real deal is, despite that service bulletin from last Thursday. The information from various SCs is very inconsistent, so much guesswork, clearly lacking an official public announcement from Tesla management.

It it really that difficult to simply explain the real reasons behind that performance upgrade and which vehicles are eligible or not, @JonMc ? Or is it that this matter is still under further investigation for RWD 75 vehicles so that an announcement is to be expected later on, when those examinations have come to a final conclusion?
or is it a way to also get 60d owners to pony up 2k to get eligible? Seems very confusing. Thought it may be a diff battery part yet 2 people with 75d each having the same battery part only 1 was eligible...strange? a 70d from 2016 owner that updated to 75d last year was eligible...
No 60d are eligible yet maybe if you update to 75d from 60d you "may" be eligible?In this case i would hope that the SC lets the person who is willing to pay 2k to update from the 60>75 know FIRST if afterwards they are eligible for uncorking.

Reactions: gabeincal
More clarification from Corporate

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S and X built before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.​
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.​
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.​
So it looks like the S75 RWD will not be receiving any sort of performance upgrade if they stand by this claim.

I'm cross posting this from the longer 75/75D uncorking thread now what I see there is a separate thread on the RWD.

I tried to have the upgrade done on Wednesday at the Palo Alto service center while they were fixing a bubble on my dashboard which was an original mfg defect. My 75S RWD was built around June 9th, and delivered on June 17th, so it was prior to the June 19th build date when they changed drive unit. There was some confusion at the service center as to whether my model was upgradeable. When I called to make the appointment, the service adviser said she believed that it was eligible for uncorking. When I dropped the car off, the adviser said he believed it was upgradeable, but later that day I got a txt message saying "unfortunately the acceleration upgrade is only for 75D vehicles at this time." I called the service center later in the day to explain that I had a June build and ask if they could look more closely at my specific model to confirm, and the adviser said they had already checked, and they found that it was in fact upgradeable, and that they had already performed the upgrade. I very happily picked up my car, but didn't notice a significant difference in performance. I tried the Performance Tools app, and the peak output power was capped at 286 (ie. a sign of no upgrade, it should have been 340+) and then after I learned how to do the API call, my S75 shows perf config = P1 which is non performance. I also did a 0-60 run, which was 5.2 seconds.

The irritating part of this is that my build date was only 10 days from the starting date of the new drive unit, and Tesla had complete control on whether it would be made on that date or a later date which would still have been within my "late June to mid-July" delivery window. They actually made it sooner than expected. Also, the Model 3 specs started emerging in July/August and I saw that my $78k car was slower (or at least no faster than) a $40k model 3. IMO, Tesla should find a way to upgrade all model S cars so that they are faster than a model 3, it makes no sense given the price premium to have it otherwise.

On the positives, my dash board bubble required a dash board header replacement, and the service center took care of this no questions asked on one day which was really impressive, and it looks great.

I have a follow-up request into the service manager. If anything new emerges I will update this thread.

Just heard back from my second escalation email on this topic. Not sure what I'll do with my time now that I won't be watching a dozen threads on uncorking.

Customer Support Tesla
To: xxxxx
RE: My Tesla Escalate email
Unfortunately, the performance upgrade is only applicable to dual motor cars. At the particular time your car was built, the powertrain was not designed for an enhanced level of performance.

We don't have anything available for single motor vehicles at this time to compete with the upgrade that the dual motor 60D's and 75D's are receiving, but we thank you for your support and investment in Tesla! We hope that you will continue to enjoy your Model S for years to come. As always, we will continue to look for ways to improve the functionality of your Tesla over time.

Thank you for your time,
Alli Gillespie | Executive Care
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538
24/7 Support 1-877-79-TESLA

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 10/27/2017 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]

Subject: My Tesla Escalate email
I am following up on my inquiry with additional information that is now making my request all the more urgent. There are now reports of 60D models being eligible for the performance upgrade (uncorking) in addition to most of the 75Ds. Now that even 60D cars purchased as much as a year before my 75 (May build, June delivery) is also eligible, is extremely concerning. If nothing is offered to the S75 RWD owners, our resale value will plummet faster than any other model made in the last few years. I am very interested in hearing what options Tesla will make available to S75 RWD owners, who were willing to fund the efforts for affordable EV cars (Model 3), but have little to nothing to show for it except for significantly decreased resale values compared to other 60 and 75 variants.

Here is the response I got from the service center this week. I believe the service center did everything they could but overall this is not good news. If I'd known I was being sold a non-upgrade-able drive unit and battery, and that by waiting 10 days I'd have had upgrade capability, I certainly would have waited, and even paid more for the upgrade option. I really don't need all wheel drive, and still think the $5k isn't worth it for me. If I'd just waited a short time, I would have also had the air suspension (I've bottomed-out hard twice-didn't realize how low this battery sits) and turning lights. Oh well.

Response from Service Center:

"I have confirmed that the conditions under which a vehicle is deemed uncorked per our Factory Service Bulletins have been met. In regards to your inquiry there is no mention of a change in power cap per our factory bulletin and perf config = P1 does indicate that the Performance option is selected. I have confirmed with our Master Technicians that if your perf config = P3 that it would indicate a non-performance configuration, and the Performance add-on config would be standard. You’re vehicle’s current configuration, as you have already confirmed, is perf config – P1 and Performance add-on config is uncorked. Our Factory Service Bulletin specifies that only dual motor vehicles are available for uncorking but we have done everything in our power to make sure that your vehicle’s configuration matches that of an uncorked vehicle."

• Informative
Reactions: xborg and llirk
5.2s 0-60 is faster than standard S75 which I think is 5.6. Also your power matches a corked 75D. So they did something but it isn't as much as the 75D got. Still if it was a .4 s reduction in 0-60 they should do that for all S75 owners to at least make it slightly faster. I still think there is yet more performance room for the RWD S75. It might take Tesla time to acknowledge that (it took months for them to roll this out for 75Ds).

The RWD S was discontinued. Only dual-motor is available for purchase (new).

I just purchased an "inventory" car this morning and was told by my OA that it's still in the factory, slated to leave this week. I suspect this will be one of the last S75 RWD to get built, hence I'm curious if it'll have the slower DU or the Faster one.

The other note he mentioned few weeks ago, was that Tesla had some left over RWD parts left over and thats why they are still producing small batches of 75 RWD currently (and they are the deals to go after if you're in the market for new MS at a budget).

Here is the response I got from the service center this week. I believe the service center did everything they could but overall this is not good news. If I'd known I was being sold a non-upgrade-able drive unit and battery, and that by waiting 10 days I'd have had upgrade capability, I certainly would have waited, and even paid more for the upgrade option. I really don't need all wheel drive, and still think the $5k isn't worth it for me. If I'd just waited a short time, I would have also had the air suspension (I've bottomed-out hard twice-didn't realize how low this battery sits) and turning lights. Oh well.

Response from Service Center:

"I have confirmed that the conditions under which a vehicle is deemed uncorked per our Factory Service Bulletins have been met. In regards to your inquiry there is no mention of a change in power cap per our factory bulletin and perf config = P1 does indicate that the Performance option is selected. I have confirmed with our Master Technicians that if your perf config = P3 that it would indicate a non-performance configuration, and the Performance add-on config would be standard. You’re vehicle’s current configuration, as you have already confirmed, is perf config – P1 and Performance add-on config is uncorked. Our Factory Service Bulletin specifies that only dual motor vehicles are available for uncorking but we have done everything in our power to make sure that your vehicle’s configuration matches that of an uncorked vehicle."
Like me, you should have quit reading Tesla news and forums after you purchased your car. Would you really have any regrets about your car and it's acceleration if you didn't know about the faster 0-60 times that other people got with their cars? I just keep reminding myself that my car accelerates to 60 quicker than the Lamborghini Countach that I use to be so in love with. That, and actually driving my car, helps the pain and regret go away.

The irritating part of this is that my build date was only 10 days from the starting date of the new drive unit, and Tesla had complete control on whether it would be made on that date or a later date which would still have been within my "late June to mid-July" delivery window.
They actually made it sooner than expected. Also, the Model 3 specs started emerging in July/August and I saw that my $78k car was slower (or at least no faster than) a $40k model 3. IMO, Tesla should find a way to upgrade all model S cars so that they are faster than a model 3, it makes no sense given the price premium to have it otherwise.

On the positives, my dash board bubble required a dash board header replacement, and the service center took care of this no questions asked on one day which was really impressive, and it looks great.

I have a follow-up request into the service manager. If anything new emerges I will update this thread.

Welcome to tesla. 10 days or even 4 days or 3 months doesnt matter to tesla.Many people have felt the same as you about the drive units and other upgrades people got within 4 days to 3 months of ordering the same car- even worse is for those who ordered the 60d and came to find out with 2-3 months that the 75d price dropped below what they paid for the 60d and many things the 60d customers paid for were also included then in the 75d so the 2-3 month owners cars dropped in resale like a rock because of the typical tesla antics.
Leaves/left a bad taste in the mouthes of many who paid down 85-95k for the 60d at that time...

Tesla is all over the board with updating willy nilly and adding this and changing that so there is really nothing one can do about it in the scheme of things-its just the way tesla operates. After you pay you just have to deal with this happening whenever.

5.2s 0-60 is faster than standard S75 which I think is 5.6. Also your power matches a corked 75D. So they did something but it isn't as much as the 75D got. Still if it was a .4 s reduction in 0-60 they should do that for all S75 owners to at least make it slightly faster. I still think there is yet more performance room for the RWD S75. It might take Tesla time to acknowledge that (it took months for them to roll this out for 75Ds).

I haven't run multiple 0-60 times to confirm if this is accurate, my understanding is that the powertools app, because of it's low sampling rate, is only accurate +/- 0.2 seconds. The max current draw peaked at 281 and flat lined from there, so that would indicate it did not reach the same level as the 75D models that are reaching 320+ uncorked current levels, so I don't think anything was accomplished with my "uncorking" procedure. The standard 0-60 spec for the 75S RWD was 5.4.

Last edited: