Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking for RWD 75 (Non-D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To TwitchAD:

Interesting- sounds like a good way to save on the cost of a new Model S. I don't know if it works for a car that is on order, but there is a way to right click on the image of the vehicle on your mytesla page, and paste it into a site that will tell you the options on the car. I can't find the teslamotors how-to link on that right now. If it has "DU00/01" that would indicate a new drive unit that may be uncorkable. You can check with your salesperson too.

There are three major aspects of uncorking: power acceleration (probably a torque limit), power limits and current limits. I put them in chronological order of when they impact from a standing start, but it is also the order of most to least noticeable by most drivers.

For example on a 75 AWD the three increase about 50%, 30% and 13% respectively when uncorked: 80kWs2 to 120kWs2. 270kW to 350kW. And 1150A to 1300A.

On the 100 we don't have enough data to know exactly which aspects of performance change, but the increases between corked and uncorked have to be smaller.

On the 75RWD the difference might be 50%, 10% and some unknown amount of current change (if any), comparing corked old drive units and uncorked new drive units, which are the only two types for which we have data. 70kWs2 to 100kWs2. 280kW to 310kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60 and mnpT
On the 75RWD the difference might be 50%, 10% and some unknown amount of current change (if any), comparing corked old drive units and uncorked new drive units, which are the only two types for which we have data. 70kWs2 to 100kWs2. 280kW to 310kW.

What would these numbers translate to in terms of 0-60? Or were these numbers (50%, 10%) derived by assuming a 4.3s 0-60?

I bought a software limited 60rwd in april, right before they dropped the price of the 75, Buyer's remorse immediately. Upgraded to the 75 (to make me feel better, I suppose) did little for the buyer's remorse. Saw the stats on the model 3 and realized I'd have an issue with my, soon to be outdone by a 35k car at resale time (I got a solid roof, manual trunk, coil suspension car). More buyers remorse. Found out that the 75rwd 0-60 times dropped by over 1 sec about a month after I got my car... even more buyer's remorse. Uncorking of the 75d announced (I almost got a 75d, but changed my mind at the last minute). That did me in. I traded my car into tesla for a CPO p85d with ludicrous upgrade and I've had a huge grin on my face ever since.

I took a bit of a financial hit, but not as bad as I thought I would, and I'm sure that my P85DL will be worth much more than my base 75 would have been at resale time, which will more than make up for the cost difference. The car is an absolute blast and I actually think (as many others do) that AP1 feels quite a bit smoother than AP2 did.

Things I've noticed...

Insurance went up a bit...
P85D uses a lot more power (average wh/mi in 75 was 295 over 7k miles, getting 330-350 in P85d) I think the heavier battery, roof, suspension and maybe my driving style really effect efficiency. Totally worth it though

Anyway... I went though all of this in my head. I don't see tesla ever "uncorking" the 75rwd to the same extent that they did the D models. If it was a simple software upgrade they would have done it already. I just couldn't get over the sick feeling that I bought the wrong car. I love my new P85d. That was the solution for me

I bought a software limited 60rwd in april, right before they dropped the price of the 75, Buyer's remorse immediately. Upgraded to the 75 (to make me feel better, I suppose) did little for the buyer's remorse. Saw the stats on the model 3 and realized I'd have an issue with my, soon to be outdone by a 35k car at resale time (I got a solid roof, manual trunk, coil suspension car). More buyers remorse. Found out that the 75rwd 0-60 times dropped by over 1 sec about a month after I got my car... even more buyer's remorse. Uncorking of the 75d announced (I almost got a 75d, but changed my mind at the last minute). That did me in. I traded my car into tesla for a CPO p85d with ludicrous upgrade and I've had a huge grin on my face ever since.

I took a bit of a financial hit, but not as bad as I thought I would, and I'm sure that my P85DL will be worth much more than my base 75 would have been at resale time, which will more than make up for the cost difference. The car is an absolute blast and I actually think (as many others do) that AP1 feels quite a bit smoother than AP2 did.

Things I've noticed...

Insurance went up a bit...
P85D uses a lot more power (average wh/mi in 75 was 295 over 7k miles, getting 330-350 in P85d) I think the heavier battery, roof, suspension and maybe my driving style really effect efficiency. Totally worth it though

Anyway... I went though all of this in my head. I don't see tesla ever "uncorking" the 75rwd to the same extent that they did the D models. If it was a simple software upgrade they would have done it already. I just couldn't get over the sick feeling that I bought the wrong car. I love my new P85d. That was the solution for me
As long as they feel they can get more people to follow your footsteps and trade in a new car less than a year old, they have no reason to upgrade the performance. At the end of the day they want (and need) to sell as many cars possible. Keeping recent customers happy won't necessarily pay off until years later.

Reactions: Foxyboy