Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking, Ludicrous, and Performance Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With these upgrades happening to non performance Teslas, what is going to happen to those of us who opted for the performance versions?

We know Ludicrous is just a software unlock, so will it be made available? It's not even a purchase upgrade currently.

It doesn't seem right that those of us who paid for performance Teslas are getting left behind.

This will just trickle down the line.

First it was recent 75d owners who were upset thinking they missed the uncorked window. Then it was 90/100d owners who felt robbed

Now it’s going to be the P owners.

If they uncork P models to near ludicrous levels, how will those that previously spent thousands on ludicrous feel when Tesla can’t uncork them anymore?

There will be individual losers in this. Collectively, I believe it’s a big win. Easy for me to say as I’m an uncorkable 75d owner.

I don't think Tesla will "uncork" past models and as the only current model is a P100D, there is currently no non-Ludicrous version available...

I think the reality here is, current Performance cars (P100D) are already "pushing it" (see: performance counter conversation/limitations). Ludicrous+ was already ekeing out what little there was left...

75/100 were artificially limited (beyond just having some lesser hardware), so software uncorking them was "easy" for Tesla. P100D they had already "uncorked" for maximum PR effect...

Of course there could be some surprise, but I wouldn't count on it.

There was a difference at one point for some of us who got the P without the L. As in, performance Teslas, but did not opt to pay an additional sum for Ludicrous.

That's why it's interesting that these cars now are getting their own "Ludicrous" upgrades for free beginning their performance very close to those of us who have Ps with no Ls. You would think that paying since a premium for performance would at least make Ludicrous software unlock available again, especially for free now.

That's why it's interesting that these cars now are getting their own "Ludicrous" upgrades for free beginning their performance very close to those of us who have Ps with no Ls. You would think that paying since a premium for performance would at least make Ludicrous software unlock available again, especially for free now.

It’s a tricky one this. If they now gave you Ludicrous mode for free, where would that leave those who paid for Ludicrous in the first place? There is little or no scope to make their cars even faster than they already are. The fact that the newer non-P models are getting close to your older P is almost inevitable. The sensible thing would be to offer you P guys a reasonably priced Ludicrous upgrade option.