Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I don't understand in all of this is how a car MUST be upgraded from 60D to 75D before they can confirm uncorking. If it's just software, they should be able to emulate it, no?

I'm wondering if it's a case of "someone would have to more manually look into it for you and, frankly, we're busy".

Through the escalation feature I received a phone call confirming my 60D was eligible if I upgraded to 75D. Which I did as soon as we hung up. Scheduled to get uncorked 11/13. 169xxx built Nov 16.

As far as why it has to be a 75D when we all know a 60D is clearly capable of the performance as well, my guess is the fact that they’re a pubclicly traded company in the business to make money, which unfortunate they desperately need...

On my way home i was at Tesla’s Service Center in Amsterdam today. Friendly staff but couldn’t give me more info. They talked about it depends on wich power train is build in for upgrading 75d and I shall ask at my service center in Stuttgart??? (No response from support yet)
As I understood they had a few 75D already uncorked in the Nederlands.

Can you ask the service manager for his/her thoughts on the S75 RWD if it's also software or likely hardware difference when you stop by please?

I definitely will. It was early morning when I met him and he was quickly slammed with owners coming in for service. They said my car will not be done today, so I'm enjoying the loaner and will drop by and hopefully he will be free tomorrow when I pick up my car.

I'll ask for more details. He, like most employees, was guarded about providing too many details. This was the same location that told me that uncorking my 75D was a "Massive internet rumor" 2 months ago so I'm still skeptical but I see no reason why the international owners can't get uncorked.

The RWD cars are a different story but I also can't imagine that they can't see some improvement from the current power.

Reactions: MIT_S60
The one thing I don't understand in all of this is how a car MUST be upgraded from 60D to 75D before they can confirm uncorking. If it's just software, they should be able to emulate it, no?

I'm wondering if it's a case of "someone would have to more manually look into it for you and, frankly, we're busy".
they CAN uncork 60d cars but choose not to because they want 2k from 60d owners 1st to unlock then they will add the performance update to it AFTER. I think they should just also uncork 60d owners as well who dont really want/need 40 extra miles and who dont have 2k just laying around and who already gave tesla 80+k for a 60d before the price drop of the 75d~!!

Last edited:
Can you ask the service manager for his/her thoughts on the S75 RWD if it's also software or likely hardware difference when you stop by please?

Ok, manager wasn't there when I got my car but second in command guy was there. He was very friendly but said that the RWD motor cannot handle any more current than it is rated for (the standard company line). I mentioned that I called them all out 2 months ago on the uncork for older 75Ds like mine and they denied it was possible then and he sorta apologized for that and said that they went with the info they were provided and had no idea older 75Ds could be uncorked. So I asked him if the same applies for the RWD 75 (and 60s) and he said it was possible but less likely because the hardware, per his information, was maxed out.

I remain skeptical but that's the company line so far.

On international owners, he said he has no idea and that they should be able to uncork any 75D that is eligible. For the record, mine is an early Dec 2016 build, 174xxx.

As far as the uncorking. Holy cow! Its definitely exactly like the 100D loaner. Power goes farther along spectrum than before (to end of the line (way past 200)). I can feel its way more acceleration. No need for immediate API check though I will confirm it later. The motors whine louder and my tires slip now when flooring. Thank you Tesla! Thanks Tesla Highland Park service!

• Informative
Ok, manager wasn't there when I got my car but second in command guy was there. He was very friendly but said that the RWD motor cannot handle any more current than it is rated for (the standard company line). I mentioned that I called them all out 2 months ago on the uncork for older 75Ds like mine and they denied it was possible then and he sorta apologized for that and said that they went with the info they were provided and had no idea older 75Ds could be uncorked. So I asked him if the same applies for the RWD 75 (and 60s) and he said it was possible but less likely because the hardware, per his information, was maxed out.

I remain skeptical but that's the company line so far.

On international owners, he said he has no idea and that they should be able to uncork any 75D that is eligible. For the record, mine is an early Dec 2016 build, 174xxx.

As far as the uncorking. Holy cow! Its definitely exactly like the 100D loaner. Power goes farther along spectrum than before (to end of the line (way past 200)). I can feel its way more acceleration. No need for immediate API check though I will confirm it later. The motors whine louder and my tires slip now when flooring. Thank you Tesla! Thanks Tesla Highland Park service!

I know for a fact that RWD motors can handle more than they're currently allowed. Whether Tesla ever uncorks them is unlikely

• Informative
UK S75D 177XXX given the same response by 3 different SC & My Tesla Escalation.

Unfortunately your Tesla does not meet the specifications required for this update.

At the particular time your car was built, the power train was not designed for an enhanced level of performance.

Went to go to find my build date sticker on the driver side "door jam" to update the tracker and cannot find it anywhere!

I have 2 stickers, one for tyre pressure & one for VIN/Weight of car. Nothing that implies what month the car was built. Any ideas?

UK S75D 177XXX given the same response by 3 different SC & My Tesla Escalation.

Unfortunately your Tesla does not meet the specifications required for this update.

At the particular time your car was built, the power train was not designed for an enhanced level of performance.

Went to go to find my build date sticker on the driver side "door jam" to update the tracker and cannot find it anywhere!

I have 2 stickers, one for tyre pressure & one for VIN/Weight of car. Nothing that implies what month the car was built. Any ideas?

I don’t have an answer to your question I’m afraid, but think you are referring to me iro the 3 rejections to date. Just to correct a typo my VIN is 171XXX not 177XXX. Build date Dec 16.

I’m sure the answer would be the same whatever the VIN tbh!

they CAN uncork 60d cars but choose not to because they want 2k from 60d owners 1st to unlock then they will add the performance update to it AFTER. I think they should just also uncork 60d owners as well who dont really want/need 40 extra miles and who dont have 2k just laying around and who already gave tesla 80+k for a 60d before the price drop of the 75d~!!
While this could be true, I don't think you can state that with certainty. Personally I think it is quite possible that Tesla simply didn't write and/or test the new performance profile for the software limited 60. A lot of people say "it's just software" being completely ignorant of the fact that software creation, testing, and maintenance all cost money. So maybe in this case Tesla decided they will not invest in writing, testing and maintaining this new configuration for software limited 60's because there aren't enough of them to justify the cost.

@Xenius, while I understand your desire for more performance, I wouldn't attribute malice on Tesla's part to something which can have a much more benign explanation. Funny thing, I actually didn't see the value in the $2K upgrade for range alone (it being at the very top of the battery which we practically never use anyways), BUT I decided to upgrade mostly because I figured that the software limited 60 will become a minority configuration given that a large number of people upgraded and it was no longer offered, which means less testing and potentially some features may be skipped (like uncorking). See my post from a while back of why I chose to upgrade (it may help you bite the bullet, especially if you can confirm your 60 would be uncorkable as a 75) : Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

I'm referring to myself haha, I'm in the exact same boat as you with a 177XXX VIN

How do I find my build date?
LOL. I don’t know how you find it out, I wrote all the relevant dates down at the time. Maybe ask the Service Centre, they might have a log under your VIN. They must know to be able to tell you you can’t have the upgrade!

@whitex Don't get me wrong, wasn't really attributing anything to Malice on Tesla's part. I just haven't found a case where we NEED the extra 15KwH (and we've put on about 23k miles in a little over a year). It would be nice to know ahead of time if I was eligible for the performance upgrade because that would help to sway the decision.

I don't really foresee the price dropping further, but it's hard to justify 2k further on an already overly expensive car. Maybe in time, or if I can see that it comes back directly as an additional 2.1k of value on a sale price (not that we're selling).

@whitex Don't get me wrong, wasn't really attributing anything to Malice on Tesla's part. I just haven't found a case where we NEED the extra 15KwH (and we've put on about 23k miles in a little over a year). It would be nice to know ahead of time if I was eligible for the performance upgrade because that would help to sway the decision.

I don't really foresee the price dropping further, but it's hard to justify 2k further on an already overly expensive car. Maybe in time, or if I can see that it comes back directly as an additional 2.1k of value on a sale price (not that we're selling).
I completely understand you here. Just to clarify, I wasn't assuming you attributed malice to Tesla, I was just countering alehbaba's advice to do so. Worth is always relative "to whom". I caved and upgraded for the reasons stated in the linked post, but those may not apply to you. I will tell you though, I would have done it now for sure for the acceleration, so it worked out well.

PS> Barring some aggressive inflation, you will never make money on the upgrade, but it shouldn't depreciate any faster than the rest of the car. So if you upgrade, it needs to be worth it TO YOU.

I had my X75D (late 2016 delivery) in for service a few weeks ago. Is it possible they uncorked me but didn't mention it? How can I tell?

Without an API check or using TeslaFi, there is no way for the car to tell you directly. An S is easy to notice the difference though. Not sure about the X but its noticeably faster, the motors make a more pronounced whine, and the front end lifts up when you slam on the accelerator.