Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely understand you here. Just to clarify, I wasn't assuming you attributed malice to Tesla, I was just countering alehbaba's advice to do so. Worth is always relative "to whom". I caved and upgraded for the reasons stated in the linked post, but those may not apply to you. I will tell you though, I would have done it now for sure for the acceleration, so it worked out well.

PS> Barring some aggressive inflation, you will never make money on the upgrade, but it shouldn't depreciate any faster than the rest of the car. So if you upgrade, it needs to be worth it TO YOU.
The range alone was not worth $2,165 to me. It was probably worth $500 or $1,000 to me.

The performance of uncorking may or may not have been enough on its own to justify the $2,165 to me. Key modifiers here being “to me.”

When they told me this week I could be uncorked once I upgraded the range, I had to pull the trigger. Scheduled for uncorking and rebadging on 11/7.

The range alone was not worth $2,165 to me. It was probably worth $500 or $1,000 to me.

The performance of uncorking may or may not have been enough on its own to justify the $2,165 to me. Key modifiers here being “to me.”

When they told me this week I could be uncorked once I upgraded the range, I had to pull the trigger. Scheduled for uncorking and rebadging on 11/7.

In the exact same boat. The $2k for both...sold. Schedule for uncorking on 11/6.

My S75D was uncorked 2 days ago. It took about an hour and a half.
Accleration is much stronger, not quite violently strong but impressive. Before, acceleration was good, plenty for about any driving I do but since uncorking, the car is wickedly quick. It is easy to control, there is just a lot more available power when accelerating. I didn't care for the violent acceleration of the P100D. The uncorked 75D is in my mind thrilling without being violent. I'm happy. Really happy.

As far as why the 75D is being uncorked but the 60D isn't, I think it might be because the 75D is now the entry level S. When the 3 reaches full production and the masses, it'll be compared to the entry level S. The S will have a premium price and it will have a performance advantage. That is, I assume, until I the performance 3s become available. The 3s can have 0-60 times in the high 4s to low 5s which will make them quick. By then the other car makers will be entering the market with electrics. The option of strong performance for the Tesla 3 series will make them very desirable. By uncorking the S75Ds, there is more flexibility in the performance of the 3s without overlapping the performance range of the entry Ss.

Whatever the reason, I couldn't be happier with my S75D. I was very happy before, now I'm ecstatic. There is an old joke: How do you tell if a motorcycle rider is happy? It's by the bugs in his teeth.
Well, I don't have bugs in my teeth but I am grinning just the same.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Without an API check or using TeslaFi, there is no way for the car to tell you directly. An S is easy to notice the difference though. Not sure about the X but its noticeably faster, the motors make a more pronounced whine, and the front end lifts up when you slam on the accelerator.
Actually, besides felling it there is an easy way, at least on the S. The power meter in the instrument cluster pegs out at the max after uncorking. Before uncorking it would never even come close to the end of the scale (with uncorking power is beyond the scale but the meter can't show it).

Actually, besides felling it there is an easy way, at least on the S. The power meter in the instrument cluster pegs out at the max after uncorking. Before uncorking it would never even come close to the end of the scale (with uncorking power is beyond the scale but the meter can't show it).

That's true, I noticed that when my SoC was higher. Even with a low SoC and power not maxxing out, you can feel it. Its just a different car.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I went to the service center in Amsterdam last week. They currently can't give information about uncorking. They said I could send an e-mail so the technicians can look in to it. Haven't done it yet, because my 60D --> 75D upgrade which I did purchased about a month ago, is still not updated in the My Tesla account. I want to make sure my 75D upgrade is synced with all of their internal systems and databases so I don't get denied because one of the systems still thinks I have a 60D. Will check this thread to make sure more EU customers are getting an update (hope so!).

My VIN is 177xxx. Ordered it around 15-12-2016, got it delivered 28-02-2017.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I went to the service center in Amsterdam last week. They currently can't give information about uncorking. They said I could send an e-mail so the technicians can look in to it. Haven't done it yet, because my 60D --> 75D upgrade which I did purchased about a month ago, is still not updated in the My Tesla account. I want to make sure my 75D upgrade is synced with all of their internal systems and databases so I don't get denied because one of the systems still thinks I have a 60D. Will check this thread to make sure more EU customers are getting an update (hope so!).

My VIN is 177xxx. Ordered it around 15-12-2016, got it delivered 28-02-2017.
Probably a good idea to wait with uncork query until the car is officially a 75D. You could ping them about why the 75D upgrade is now showing up though - IIRC our upgrade showed up really soon, if not immediately (since you actually purchase it from the MyTesla page). Maybe in Europe the upgrade process is different?

Probably a good idea to wait with uncork query until the car is officially a 75D. You could ping them about why the 75D upgrade is now showing up though - IIRC our upgrade showed up really soon, if not immediately (since you actually purchase it from the MyTesla page). Maybe in Europe the upgrade process is different?

Thanks. I just sent a support question from the MyTesla page asking about this. My upgrade process: Called the service center, made an appointment, waited for about 45 minutes and then it was done. New badge and new config (tech guy said it's just two clicks with a mouse, rest of the time went in changing the badge, lol). Also, in MyTesla the upgrade-to-75 button is gone, therefore I assume at least one system knows I've upgrade to a 75D. I'll check in again when I've got a response.

Thanks. I just sent a support question from the MyTesla page asking about this. My upgrade process: Called the service center, made an appointment, waited for about 45 minutes and then it was done. New badge and new config (tech guy said it's just two clicks with a mouse, rest of the time went in changing the badge, lol). Also, in MyTesla the upgrade-to-75 button is gone, therefore I assume at least one system knows I've upgrade to a 75D. I'll check in again when I've got a response.
Was the OTA upgrade not available for you (or everyone in Europe)? In the USA, our upgrade was, log into MyTesla, click "Upgrade", enter credit card number information, click "Confirm", few minutes later car performs an OTA and a 60D became a 75D.

Was the OTA upgrade not available for you (or everyone in Europe)? In the USA, our upgrade was, log into MyTesla, click "Upgrade", enter credit card number information, click "Confirm", few minutes later car performs an OTA and a 60D became a 75D.

Hmm not sure. When I asked this, the tech guy said they can do it OTA but it was safer to just check in at the service center.

Same here. Saw the price had reduced, obtained domestic approval and hit the button. Updated with 1/2 hour and went to the SC the next day for a shiny new badge. Happy days.

Reactions: jjh1234
Yes, go to your MyTesla and select the "executive escalation" option and send a communication through that. Emailing your service center is clearly not doing the trick (I never got a response to my emails when the news first broke).

Also, if you're in a pinch, I called Tyson's Corner SC in VA and Michael looked up my car. A bunch of us did that and some contributed to buying them pizza as a thank you because Michael was one of the first who researched this uncorking and could immediately tell you whether your car was actually eligible (he said yes and my SC responded 4 days later with a "maybe but your car is probably too old" response that has morphed into a "of course your car is eligible" response).

So do both, escalate through MyTesla and call Michael (and send him a small thank you gift if he says you're eligible) after you get your SC appointment.

I just submitted an escalation through my tesla. I'm not getting my hopes up though. I think the only thing I can learn here is if hope can be removed from other people reading this hoping there is another chance.

I just submitted an escalation through my tesla. I'm not getting my hopes up though. I think the only thing I can learn here is if hope can be removed from other people reading this hoping there is another chance.
Well the nail is in the coffin. Denied at executive escalation.

The technical reason given was that PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER must be greater than 3 and mine is exactly 3.

I guess this means that version 4 and up of a sensor in the battery management system is the determining physical factor.

Well the nail is in the coffin. Denied at executive escalation.

The technical reason given was that PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER must be greater than 3 and mine is exactly 3.

I guess this means that version 4 and up of a sensor in the battery management system is the determining physical factor.

That’s a shame, but I suppose at least you now have a proper answer rather than a bland “not eligible”. Is yours an early facelift presumably they could look at your car remotely to see you had a version 3 sensor?

That’s a shame, but I suppose at least you now have a proper answer rather than a bland “not eligible”. Is yours an early facelift presumably they could look at your car remotely to see you had a version 3 sensor?
Yes, it's a very early facelift. While it's good that a got a definitive answer it still leaves the question of which specific part and can it be replaced.

I hope one of the talented tesla enthusiasts can id the part that it relates to. I hope even more that it's something tesla can upgrade. A sensor doesn't sound like it would be impossible to swap but just because that key sounds like a sensor doesn't mean it is.

I've driven most of the performance levels (75, 90, P85DL) and my favorite of those was the 90. Would love to have that level without buying a new car. I'd absolutely pay something to have this done too. Not exactly sure how much I'd be willing to pay but I know I would strongly consider it if it were ever offered.

Reactions: Swift
@whitex Don't get me wrong, wasn't really attributing anything to Malice on Tesla's part. I just haven't found a case where we NEED the extra 15KwH (and we've put on about 23k miles in a little over a year). It would be nice to know ahead of time if I was eligible for the performance upgrade because that would help to sway the decision.

I don't really foresee the price dropping further, but it's hard to justify 2k further on an already overly expensive car. Maybe in time, or if I can see that it comes back directly as an additional 2.1k of value on a sale price (not that we're selling).
It may drop in price down the road as the final push from tesla to get everyone to the 75d...never know...but we would rather put the 2k towards the service plans/extended warranty at this point

Whom in Dallas did you talk to? I in the same boat and am not getting a clear answer. I don't want to upgrade until I'm 100% sure I'm going to get the uncorking. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's a very early facelift. While it's good that a got a definitive answer it still leaves the question of which specific part and can it be replaced.

I hope one of the talented tesla enthusiasts can id the part that it relates to. I hope even more that it's something tesla can upgrade. A sensor doesn't sound like it would be impossible to swap but just because that key sounds like a sensor doesn't mean it is.

I've driven most of the performance levels (75, 90, P85DL) and my favorite of those was the 90. Would love to have that level without buying a new car. I'd absolutely pay something to have this done too. Not exactly sure how much I'd be willing to pay but I know I would strongly consider it if it were ever offered.

How early is your facelift? I thought mine was pretty early and it qualified for the upgrade.