Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon me if am straying here but I just called my SC and was told that 70D's don't come with the 75Kwh battery pack and so cannot be upgraded/uncorked? Is that not true? I am looking at purchasing a 7/16 build S70D but will only consider buying it if it can be upgraded and uncorked.

Pardon me if am straying here but I just called my SC and was told that 70D's don't come with the 75Kwh battery pack and so cannot be upgraded/uncorked? Is that not true? I am looking at purchasing a 7/16 build S70D but will only consider buying it if it can be upgraded and uncorked.

I believe the older 70D’s from 2015 with the nose cone have the 70 battery that can’t be unlocked to 75. The newer 70D’s from 2016 with the new face lifted front end have the 75 battery that can be unlocked.

Reactions: Anssi and croman
If it comes with the new front end (around April 2016 I believe) it should be eligible for battery upgrade for $500 to a S75D then can possibly be uncorked (verify with Tesla, my comment does not guarantee it is able to be uncorked).

If it's a Tesla CPO, offer to pay for the upgrade and uncork before delivery ($500 for the upgrade). If private party, ask the owner to check if upgrade is available, and if so whether uncorking is available. Maybe even agree on a higher price if the owner will upgrade before the sale ($500+tx for upgrade, plus some $ for their troubles to get it uncorked).

If it's a Tesla CPO, offer to pay for the upgrade and uncork before delivery ($500 for the upgrade). If private party, ask the owner to check if upgrade is available, and if so whether uncorking is available. Maybe even agree on a higher price if the owner will upgrade before the sale ($500+tx for upgrade, plus some $ for their troubles to get it uncorked).
It is a private sale. What is frustrating is that the owner called Tesla and was told it could not be upgraded leave alone being uncorked. I called the SC as well and was told that the 70Ds did not come with the bigger battery pack. It is a new facelift built in July ‘16. Not sure what to do next? Is there a specific number to call? Pretty sure it can be upgraded and uncorked but want to make sure before taking the next step.

It is a private sale. What is frustrating is that the owner called Tesla and was told it could not be upgraded leave alone being uncorked. I called the SC as well and was told that the 70Ds did not come with the bigger battery pack. It is a new facelift built in July ‘16. Not sure what to do next? Is there a specific number to call? Pretty sure it can be upgraded and uncorked but want to make sure before taking the next step.

Have the owner check the battery part number. It is supposedly visible inside the front passengers side wheel well. If it's a BTX5, it's a 75 battery.

If the upgrade doesn't show up in the current owner's "My Tesla" page, and SC says it's not upgradable, then there is a very good change it is an actual 70KWh battery, which is not uncorkable at this time. You could check the part battery part number as @jjh1234 suggested, but even if you determine it's a 75 battery, you still have an uphill battle as Tesla's systems don't seem to know this (or the update would show up in MyTesla online) - this means that even if you finally convince them to upgrade you for $500, the car's VIN will probably not be on the uncorkable list since it wasn't on the 75 battery list. Maybe look for a different car if that is s deal breaker.

Original 70 had the same cell chemistry as 85 pack which is far superior to 90/75 pack (which is crap) that's why tesla throttle supercharging on 90/75 packs

Comparison charging graphs for various batteries as logged by A Better Route Planner

A Better Routeplanner

seem to show that BT85 battery in S85 starts off close to 120kW but is below 100kW by 20-25% and tails off fast, whereas the BTX4 in the S90 only peaks at maybe 115kW, but stays above 100kW until 55%, so I'm not sure about the throttling of 90 packs?

There is a BTX5 S75 graph too, but too little data to be able to draw conclusions.

I upgraded and uncorked my 60 to 75D. Have been driving on the uncorked system for about a week now- and two things I notice. 1) it is noticeably quicker when one points their toes (WOW factor for driver, but choose Chill when I have passengers) 2) there is a growling/grinding noise on hard acceleration. Almost the sound of spinning the tires in loose sand. It concerns me that hard acceleration may be overtaxing the motors and suspension - as if I'm doing damage using the uncorked power.

Has anyone else experienced drive train growl on their uncork? Is it a lurking problem?

I upgraded and uncorked my 60 to 75D. Have been driving on the uncorked system for about a week now- and two things I notice. 1) it is noticeably quicker when one points their toes (WOW factor for driver, but choose Chill when I have passengers) 2) there is a growling/grinding noise on hard acceleration. Almost the sound of spinning the tires in loose sand. It concerns me that hard acceleration may be overtaxing the motors and suspension - as if I'm doing damage using the uncorked power.

Has anyone else experienced drive train growl on their uncork? Is it a lurking problem?

You have the same car as a 100D / 90D (sans the battery) which handles the power just fine!

What is the correct terminology to ask the service center to verify the car? I'm dealing with somebody in Charlotte who can't figure out what I'm talking about. He keeps on telling me to go check my tesla page or that I will get an OTA update to take car of it. I'm pretty sure he has no idea.

What is the correct terminology to ask the service center to verify the car? I'm dealing with somebody in Charlotte who can't figure out what I'm talking about. He keeps on telling me to go check my tesla page or that I will get an OTA update to take car of it. I'm pretty sure he has no idea.

You'll likely have better luck sending executive customer service a message through your tesla.com/mytesla page. Here's what I sent them word for word, and they got back to me the next day and said I would be eligible if I FIRST did the software unlock of the battery.

Hello Tesla, Would be able to look into and tell me if my current Model S would be eligible for the performance "uncorking" if we first did the software unlock to a 75D? Thank you very much for the information, it's incredibly cool that things like this are even possible. Cheers.

@zjfk2 Ask them to check the ‘BMS I SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER’ is higher than 3. This can be done remotely by checking the car logs, or be the car being plugged in at the SC.
60D here, built around 03/2017. Asked about uncorking from the service center two months ago, he checked the VIN number and said that it wasn't eligible but he didn't know if it was from it being 60 currently or if it couldn't be done.

Today was at the service center for the 20k service, the person checked the VIN again and said that it wasn't eligible. Then I asked them to check the "BMS I SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER". He said that he'll check if he can divulge the information to the customer. Now the service is done and he said that he cannot divulge the value of "BMS I SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER" to the customer i.e. me.

Anyone else run into this? Are the VIN lists only for 75Ds? Do the lists specifically say that it cannot be done or just that it is not on the "it can be done" list?

The BMS I SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER gets divulged to customers all the time. You may need to do an executive escalation in order to push the service center to reveal it as corporate may not know the value.

No 60Ds are on the VIN list. You will need to upgrade to 75 before uncorking.

Likely your service center is just behind. Maybe due to the difficulty in translating service center bulletins into Finnish. Grin. Love my Hakka 8s by the way.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DKPowers and Anssi