Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote Service tech tried to uncork my Sept ‘16 75d (formerly 60d) (VIN 153xxx) but couldn’t (something to do with the battery pack). As far as I can tell, there was some manufacturing deviation during some window where eligibility for uncorking could’ve changed from week to week based on supply chains or whatever. I guess I’ll close the book on this.
You need a new pyro fuse so it can handle the current draw which can only be changed by dropping the battery pack. I’m in the same boat as you but we have a 70d that had the pack upgraded to a 75kwh pack.

Reactions: Amstel44
Not really, I actually had to delay my appointment by a week due to the MCU2 parts not being there yet. Supposedly the parts are scheduled to arrive on 02/09, so i moved my appointment to that day. I didn't see the uncorking on my service estimate, but I called the Service Center and the adviser said he sees something in "the notes" (whatever that is) to see if my car could be uncorked.

I also tried to reach out to online support chat, once through the "Questions about upcoming service appointment" route, and then again through "software/firmware questions". The first rep told me "the service centers can check for you", and the second rep told me "your car got the Performance Upgrade in February 2018". I bought my car used in December, so I have no real way of verifying the performance upgrade, other than timing my own 0-60 (busy schedule). But I can definitely feel the difference in pull versus the loaner 75Ds I had during past service visits
Sounds promising :)

You need a new pyro fuse so it can handle the current draw which can only be changed by dropping the battery pack

I don’t doubt it, but FWIW, when the tech said the problem is a hardware issue with my battery pack, I asked if it’s the pyrofuse & he said no and added that pyrofuses are only about Ludicrous Mode (he had already confirmed that everything else was ok, such as the sensor protocol # which was greater than 3).

In any event, he confirmed the same thing the SC said two weeks ago: That “Engineering” says my car is ineligible. The tech said it wouldn’t matter how many SCs I go to bc the bottom line is that I lack a certain piece of hardware in my battery pack that would be cost prohibitive to retrofit. I wasn’t expecting this given all the successful uncorkings of 75d’s (including former 60d’s) that were built prior to my Sept ‘16. Maybe this is partly why it was a good price.

Last edited:
Reactions: fcastrillo86
Update: brought my car in for the MCU2 upgrade, and also requested uncorking. This is my second time having the Service Center look at the car for an uncorking request, but I'd spoken with a bunch of different Tesla employees (online chat reps and local Service Advisors) about uncorking between visits.

Dropped the car off yesterday, got it back today. MCU2 is awesome. And so is the newly uncorked performance :) acceleration is wild now, can't imagine what the Performance model folks with their Ludicrous acceleration get to experience!

Dropped the car off yesterday, got it back today. MCU2 is awesome. And so is the newly uncorked performance :) acceleration is wild now, can't imagine what the Performance model folks with their Ludicrous acceleration get to experience!

That’s awesome - good for you! I haven’t asked online chat reps about uncorking yet...what was that like? Did they provide helpful info?

One of my DRLs recently went out (will cost $1500, ouch), so was planning to add my third request for uncorking to that service request.

That’s awesome - good for you! I haven’t asked online chat reps about uncorking yet...what was that like? Did they provide helpful info?

One of my DRLs recently went out (will cost $1500, ouch), so was planning to add my third request for uncorking to that service request.
Online chat has been hit or miss. When I spoke to them prior to my first service appointment, they asked for my odometer reading and said my car was eligible. But when the car finally went into service, they said the Uncorking wasn't available for my car. I asked two different chat reps about it last week; one told me that the Service Center would be there one to determine eligibility, and the other chat rep said I had the previous owner had the "performance uncorking" find in February 2018. I can only assume they were really referring to the battery/range unlock, I have the feeling my car started life as a 60D. So I called my Service Advisor, and he said "did you actually tell you the car was eligible? My tech can look into it when you come in." Fortunately they were able to successfully uncork it in the end. My invoice says:

Concern: Customer States: Vehicle eligible for 'Uncorking' performance upgrade. Confirm installation.
Technician performed uncorking performance software update.
Correction: General Diagnosis

Online chat has been hit or miss. When I spoke to them prior to my first service appointment, they asked for my odometer reading and said my car was eligible. But when the car finally went into service, they said the Uncorking wasn't available for my car. I asked two different chat reps about it last week; one told me that the Service Center would be there one to determine eligibility, and the other chat rep said I had the previous owner had the "performance uncorking" find in February 2018. I can only assume they were really referring to the battery/range unlock, I have the feeling my car started life as a 60D. So I called my Service Advisor, and he said "did you actually tell you the car was eligible? My tech can look into it when you come in." Fortunately they were able to successfully uncork it in the end. My invoice says:

Concern: Customer States: Vehicle eligible for 'Uncorking' performance upgrade. Confirm installation.
Technician performed uncorking performance software update.
Correction: General Diagnosis

That's good news in the end! I have my 2017 75D (previous life as a 60D) going in for service in a week and am hoping they can uncork it.

I don’t doubt it, but FWIW, when the tech said the problem is a hardware issue with my battery pack, I asked if it’s the pyrofuse & he said no and added that pyrofuses are only about Ludicrous Mode (he had already confirmed that everything else was ok, such as the sensor protocol # which was greater than 3).

In any event, he confirmed the same thing the SC said two weeks ago: That “Engineering” says my car is ineligible. The tech said it wouldn’t matter how many SCs I go to bc the bottom line is that I lack a certain piece of hardware in my battery pack that would be cost prohibitive to retrofit. I wasn’t expecting this given all the successful uncorkings of 75d’s (including former 60d’s) that were built prior to my Sept ‘16. Maybe this is partly why it was a good price.
Pyro fuse is the part that’s needed. There is no difference between 75 kWh packs from the same years produced when its corked or uncorked. The older ones that were installed before the uncorking was offered had the non pyro fuse and some had it hence why there is so many different answers. There is not a special pack that is needed.

It's pretty awesome that uncorking can be done via some sort of firmware update. But I hope that's not grounds to lose it just as easily, i.e. newer updates gets pushed to the car that can "recork" the performance.

Yes, they certainly *could* take it away just as easily. It seems unlikely they would do that without a good reason though (e.g., if there was some sort of safety concern). In fact, haven't they taken away range on certain older MS due to battery fire concerns?

Forgot to mention that, during my second, failed uncorking attempt (with a remote tech), he said a technical bulletin about uncorking was issued in January ‘21, but he didn’t recall the details offhand...and it seemed clear to me that he wasn’t going to share more.

Does anyone have any contacts who could confirm whether this bulletin exists, and if so, what it says?

I’m still skeptical that my car is ineligible. I thought I was ready to let this go, but I’ve read too many posts by other 75D (former 60D) owners - with builds months older than mine - who were eventually uncorked after being told “no” more than once (and not necessarily related to false advertising). It still doesn’t make sense to me why cars built in, say, July ‘16 have the right hardware, but one built in Sept ‘16 wouldn’t. I can’t discern a pattern (btw, my car doesn’t have the air suspension...any correlation there?).

Forgot to mention that, during my second, failed uncorking attempt (with a remote tech), he said a technical bulletin about uncorking was issued in January ‘21, but he didn’t recall the details offhand...and it seemed clear to me that he wasn’t going to share more.

Does anyone have any contacts who could confirm whether this bulletin exists, and if so, what it says?

I’m still skeptical that my car is ineligible. I thought I was ready to let this go, but I’ve read too many posts by other 75D (former 60D) owners - with builds months older than mine - who were eventually uncorked after being told “no” more than once (and not necessarily related to false advertising). It still doesn’t make sense to me why cars built in, say, July ‘16 have the right hardware, but one built in Sept ‘16 wouldn’t. I can’t discern a pattern (btw, my car doesn’t have the air suspension...any correlation there?).
Keep at it. I was the same way, more or less ready to give up, especially after a chat rep told me the previous owner did the "performance uncorking" in Feb 2018. However, every service visit I made I would pester them, and they finally made it happen during my MCU2 upgrade. Also, I have the coil suspension, so I don't think that's a factor in all this

Reactions: Amstel44
So I went and took my 2017 75D in for service two weeks ago and while it was there, I asked to have it uncorked. When I got it back from service, the receipt said the car was not eligible for uncorking. My 75D was previously a 60D. Is there a way to tell if it is actually eligible for the uncorking? The VIN is 5YJSA1E28HF19XXXX

So I went and took my 2017 75D in for service two weeks ago and while it was there, I asked to have it uncorked. When I got it back from service, the receipt said the car was not eligible for uncorking. My 75D was previously a 60D. Is there a way to tell if it is actually eligible for the uncorking? The VIN is 5YJSA1E28HF19XXXX
General consensus is late 2016s (August and onward I think) are all eligible. You'll just have to be persistent with it. Don't give up! For me, it took a combination of chatting with online support reps and bugging my Service Center about it. It took a few tries, but they finally uncorked mine during the MCU2 upgrade. I had been told all sorts of things leading up to that, like "you're eligible", "it was already done", and "we'll see."

Based on this tracking list another member put together (not sure if they are from here or Reddit), your VIN ending in 19XXXX should be eligible.

Reactions: CaliSurfer