Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my annual service done Thursday (2017 MS 60D, 18,000 miles)...for some reason they kept the car overnight. I just called & they did not automatically do this to my car, I’ll need to make another appointment and bring it in. I was told I needed to request it, which is why is wasn’t done.
Can you tell us your VIN? (Omit last 2 digits for privacy).
I’m hoping my 1517xx S75D will be eligible (Aug 16 build). Anyone know?

The words "the majority" scare me. My 75D is 138XXX built in April '16. That's about as early as a 75D can get. I'm going to get my tires rotated and my loose door panel fixed next month so I'll investigate illegibility then. It would suck to be in the minority.
Keep us informed! Mines a 1517xx built Aug 2016 so I’m nervous too...

Called my service center. She was very helpful.. I explained I have a 198xxx VIN.. and she said I do NOT qualify. She said in the entire state of California only 4 cars are currently flagged for the update.

She said there's even SIGNATURE models that are even eligible which blew me away.

Anyway I can only assume the list she had is old, as she knew exactly what I was talking about and pulled up a list. I mentioned the email posted a few days ago on here, the article by Electrik and this thread saying is very recent as of the last few days. She hasn't had any updates recently.. so maybe it's being rolled out slowly to different service centers.

I want it so baaddd
That can’t be right. If you have dual motor. Someone here already got uncorked with VIN 170xxx.

9DDFD583-2B3A-46E4-BBE9-881F3738B0CB.jpeg
I'm going in on Monday for a confirmed 145 Facelift 75D. Hopefully the CA service center knows what they are doing... Confirmed in VA at (703) 749-1203
Do you know your build month and year? It’s on the little panel inside the front right door

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: gabeincal and BartJ
I’m a bit jealous, but it’s not like the car isn’t already super fast without the uncorking. I’ve always thought it had the perfect acceleration, even if it wasn’t as exciting as ludicrous. I had a P90DL loaner for a couple of weeks, but I got kind of tired of my phones flying out of the cubby hole, all of the time:). Still for some perverse reason I’m holding out hope for an uncorking of my S75. For the sake of my tires and the safety of those around me, I hope it doesn’t happen. ;)

@appleguru @Krash

Quite an interesting turn. So if the contractors are inside the batter pack, but there is only one part number for the 75 kWh 350VDC battery pack, the hardware difference making pretty much all 75D eligible for uncorking can not be the contractors, right?

What about the (pyro?) fuse? Is there more than one version / part number for it? Does that mean the RWD 75 does not have that or the same fuse as a 75D?

With the current amount of information it still seems highly unlikely that any RWD 75 produced before July 1 (or around that date) will get uncorked, because there has to be a hardware difference, otherwise they would not have made the uncorking AWD only now.

My understanding is that the rear drive motor since the D was unveiled is only capable of producing 285kw, so the classic 60 and 85 RWD would have more chance of being uncorked as the motor is rated at 310kw which should be just enough for the recent new RWD times. I'd expect 70D would be uncorkable too which would be cool for those owners but probably unlikely, unless they get a 91 page thread going or something...

My understanding is that the rear drive motor since the D was unveiled is only capable of producing 285kw, so the classic 60 and 85 RWD would have more chance of being uncorked as the motor is rated at 310kw which should be just enough for the recent new RWD times. I'd expect 70D would be uncorkable too which would be cool for those owners but probably unlikely, unless they get a 91 page thread going or something...

If we speculate that this may be the case, how would that explain the faster 0-60 times for inventory cars built prior to June but after the unveiling of of the 75D? Do we think they replaced the rear drive motors on each inventory 75 to achieve these faster times for inventory 75 RWDs?

I think Jason Hughes is correct in his analysis that the performance and non performance motors are currently produced with identical parts. This would lead me to think that most motors are capable of much higher performance and that the motor inverter combo is not the limit. Also the Jalopnik article about the contactors talks about wiring as well.

Seems like a great move on Tesla’s part overall! Still not crystal clear on whether 60Ds are eligible. Mine is a Nov 16 build VIN 169xxx which I will happily upgrade to a 75 if needed to qualify for the upgrade, just haven’t had a compelling reason to do so yet as I typically drive 50 miles a day round trip. For the extra ~100HP I would happily fork over the dough. Any 60D owners with succcess doing so please report back.

Seems like a great move on Tesla’s part overall! Still not crystal clear on whether 60Ds are eligible. Mine is a Nov 16 build VIN 169xxx which I will happily upgrade to a 75 if needed to qualify for the upgrade, just haven’t had a compelling reason to do so yet as I typically drive 50 miles a day round trip. For the extra ~100HP I would happily fork over the dough. Any 60D owners with succcess doing so please report back.
See my posts in this thread. I was a 60D upgraded to 75D and was uncorked yesterday. You'll find my date of purchase/VIN if you scroll back a few pages.

I think Jason Hughes is correct in his analysis that the performance and non performance motors are currently produced with identical parts. This would lead me to think that most motors are capable of much higher performance and that the motor inverter combo is not the limit. Also the Jalopnik article about the contactors talks about wiring as well.
If wiring is the difference, can you speak to the difficulty for a retrofit (ignoring if Tesla will ever allow this or support it, which I'm sure is unlikely). Is it a theoretically hard or easy thing to swap?

I was told that the service centers will not uncork a yet to be upgraded (to 75) 60. It will be interesting to see if that is true and whether the 60s appear on the uncorking list.
I'm going to upgrade from 60 to 75 anyways. If that helps qualify for uncorking somehow, or get me part way towards a hardware upgrade to allow uncorking, all the better.

Reactions: caltechkid