Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got ahold of a SC and they told me my car was not eligible but could explain nothing more. My car is currently a 60D and I am willing to upgrade on the drop of a dime, but don't want to if they cannot guarantee I am eligible if I do so. Can any current 60D owners who had validation without upgrading please share which SC they might have called? My build is Nov 16.

Were those two variants used alternatively? Ie could my March built 75D be ineligable despite much older vehicles being eligable?
That’s how I read the communication. He said my VIN was not eligible, but the reason for not being eligible was NOT because it was a 60D. The reason it was not on the list was the 75 battery variant I have (March 2017).

Additional info:

“It is not the capacity of the battery itself that limits the upgrade, it's the existance of the high amperage "fuse" within the high voltage circuit, which is not replacable/upgradable. I checked and 185*** is not eligible at this time. If there's a future list sent to us by engineering and your VIN happens to be on it, I'll reach out to you.”

Hey everyone. Just joined to ask this question: I bought an inventory S75D end of September, VIN 210XXX. In Europe. Would it be eligible for this update? The car already feels so fast when accelerating, I wonder if it already has this update or not. Current firmware is 2017.38.

That’s how I read the communication. He said my VIN was not eligible, but the reason for not being eligible was NOT because it was a 60D. The reason it was not on the list was the 75 battery variant I have (March 2017).
Great post btw but what I've quoted above isn't actually correct according to you! It's not the battery variant but the fuse, right?

Additional info from Tesla Service email...take it for what it’s worth:

“In the past, there were 2 variants of the 75kWh battery pack, while it is true that some 60kWh vehicles were equipped with software limited 75kWh battery packs, there's also another component, similar to a larger fuse, within the high voltage system necessary in order for the performance upgrade to happen. Not all 75kWh battery pack equipped dual motor vehicles have this upgraded component.

Albert ***** | Assistant Service Manager, Mid-South Internal Service, Tesla Motors, Inc.”

Now that is some semi-useful information. If we could just get more details on what this "similar to a larger fuse" is.

Great post btw but what I've quoted above isn't actually correct according to you! It's not the battery variant but the fuse, right?
What I was saying is I thought I would be ineligible because I had a 60D and had not upgraded to the 75D. The service manager said that assumption was incorrect, and the reason my VIN wasn’t eligible was because of the variant of the 75 battery in my car. Apparently some 75kwh batteries had one kind of fuse and others had a higher capacity one. It appears some of the 60D cars had a higher capacity fuse and would be upgradable, just not mine. At least that’s how I’m interpreting what I was told.

They still may make 60D owners with the “better” 75 battery upgrade to 75D to get uncorked, but that’s just my speculation.

What I was saying is I thought I would be ineligible because I had a 60D and had not upgraded to the 75D. The service manager said that assumption was incorrect, and the reason my VIN wasn’t eligible was because of the variant of the 75 battery in my car. Apparently some 75kwh batteries had one kind of fuse and others had a higher capacity one. It appears some of the 60D cars had a higher capacity fuse and would be upgradable, just not mine. At least that’s how I’m interpreting what I was told.

They still may make 60D owners with the “better” 75 battery upgrade to 75D to get uncorked, but that’s just my speculation.
Ok so we're clear that it's not battery but the battery/HV fuse

Finally got ahold of a SC and they told me my car was not eligible but could explain nothing more. My car is currently a 60D and I am willing to upgrade on the drop of a dime, but don't want to if they cannot guarantee I am eligible if I do so. Can any current 60D owners who had validation without upgrading please share which SC they might have called? My build is Nov 16.

Same here. 60D, 195XXX, April 2017 build, June 2017 delivery. Told I'm not eligible. Unable to guarantee eligibility if I upgraded to a 75D. I'd upgrade in a heartbeat only if they can guarantee performance upgrade, not range alone.

Definitely doesn't appear to be accurate. Call the denver littleton service office and ask them if you're eligible. They will look up your VIN and let you know. Then perhaps you can get back with your local service team to inform them of the hopefully good news.

I called today and they said my 60D was ineligible (VIN 171***), and it would make no difference if I upgraded OTA to 75D. :(

I called today and they said my 60D was ineligible (VIN 171***), and it would make no difference if I upgraded OTA to 75D. :(

This really blows! I am afraid I am probably in the same boat. As a reasonable person, I get it if a range of VIN #s cut off and qualified and didn't qualify at a certain point, but to find out there really is no rhyme or reason other than luck on what fuse etc was used, really chaps my ass! Here, you get a free upgrade and you over here, you get a huge bag of dicks...

I just called my SC, the tesla gentleman was very nice even looked the uncorking eligibility on two locations/lists. But Said mine was not eligible! He also reference what he was reading, and mentioned the July 1st date 201 cutoff. Which as we know from the previous post here the uncorking are going way back past that date. I will wait a few weeks and ask again.
I am happy for you guys getting it done and thank you for posting your vin# so I can keep track on how far back these are taking place. A one second improvement in 0-60 times is HUGE! Performance upgrades on cars that deliver those results cost big $ I am impressed Tesla is just doing this for free!

Reactions: Gur814 and Dan60D
Yesss!!!

Good morning,

Your Model S is eligible for the upgrade you are inquiring about. We actually have several clients asking about this update on their vehicles so we would like to address as many of these at the same time as possible. Are you available on Monday, October 30? Currently I have every 15 minutes between 8:00am and 11:45am available. Please let me know what time works best with your schedule.

VIN 172XXX