Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a phone call right after I left the SC this am that I would definitely have to upgrade to make it happen, and that I am eligible based on the fuse, etc. Read the bulletin in detail myself - pretty clear that you have currently exist as a 75D (not a 60, 60D, or 75) to be eligible, no explicit VIN range or production date specified. I weren't ahead and upgraded since they will also be doing a power test to verify increased performance.

Can I just clarify what you're saying here. The bulletin said you need to be a 75D, but that the VIN wasn't crucial - other than to prove you are a 75D? Or was it a combination of 75D and the right fuse?

• Helpful
Reactions: Windy City S
They said they just got the bulletin and wasn't familiar with the procedure. they apologized and asked me to bring it back.

I am in the same VIN range as you, 171XXX and so very interested in your experience. I've been told I'm not eligible. I was a 60D and unlocked to 75D in April when the price dropped. Really struggling to understand what the difference is between mine and yours (apart from I'm RHD and in the UK).

For those with the upgrade completed, what does your power meter show as highest KW available? 200? 300? or 400? If the performance is improved by increasing the maximum current delivered to the inverter and motor, then I have to believe the range on the meter has changed. Wouldn't this be an easy way to verify the update was applied?

IMG_5411.jpg

The Model X upgrade is still $4500 which makes no sense to me. I’ve sent an ‘escalation’ on this topic asking why and their response was kind of like “just ‘cause”
The pricing is fairly arbitrary. The price difference between a 75D and a 100D is $19,500 for the Model S, while only $16,500 for the Model X--two different prices for exactly the same change.

Can I just clarify what you're saying here. The bulletin said you need to be a 75D, but that the VIN wasn't crucial - other than to prove you are a 75D? Or was it a combination of 75D and the right fuse?

Sure - I am not saying that the VIN isn't critical. What I am saying is that there is no explicit VIN cutoff (e.g., past 175XXX), nor a VIN range (e.g., 170XXX-190XXX) specified in the bulletin. The VIN is used as a lookup method of identifying whether or not that particular vehicle is has the correct fuse. Thus, one must be a 75D and have the correct fuse - the connection to VIN is merely used to identify whether or not one has the right fuse.

Reactions: DJP31
For those with the upgrade completed, what does your power meter show as highest KW available? 200? 300? or 400? If the performance is improved by increasing the maximum current delivered to the inverter and motor, then I have to believe the range on the meter has changed. Wouldn't this be an easy way to verify the update was applied?

IMG_5411.jpg

The power meter is still at 200 but the gauge will peg at max when accelerating at full from a stop.

• Informative
Reactions: chris5639
Called one service center nearby today, and they told me that they can't check if my car is eligible over the phone, and that I have to bring it for them to check. Decided to stop by another service center on the way back, they checked and my car is eligible and going through the uncorking now. VIN 150xxx, originally 60D upgraded to 75D when the price dropped. They also said that they can only uncork 75Ds at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
Received a phone call right after I left the SC this am that I would definitely have to upgrade to make it happen, and that I am eligible based on the fuse, etc. Read the bulletin in detail myself - pretty clear that you have currently exist as a 75D (not a 60, 60D, or 75) to be eligible, no explicit VIN range or production date specified. I weren't ahead and upgraded since they will also be doing a power test to verify increased performance.
so is the fuse thing a myth? I would hope any 75d can be uncorked but it has to exist now as a 75d..

i guess the fuse thing isnt a myth? so a same car in saME VIN range built in same month as some here have stated may have a diff fuse thats not compatible with the uncorking? wow. This car sounds more chinese every day. Why wont/cant they just replace the fuse to whatever is standard? I mean did they have a box of old fuses laying around they decided to use on 50 cars that day/month?

Last edited:
Sure - I am not saying that the VIN isn't critical. What I am saying is that there is no explicit VIN cutoff (e.g., past 175XXX), nor a VIN range (e.g., 170XXX-190XXX) specified in the bulletin. The VIN is used as a lookup method of identifying whether or not that particular vehicle is has the correct fuse. Thus, one must be a 75D and have the correct fuse - the connection to VIN is merely used to identify whether or not one has the right fuse.

so is the fuse thing a myth? I would hope any 75d can be uncorked but it has to exist now as a 75d..

I think based on the above it is both, only 75D’s and the correct fuse. Which explains why not all 75D’s are ‘eligible’. Totally unsatisfactory IMO but an explanation nonetheless.

I think based on the above it is both, only 75D’s and the correct fuse. Which explains why not all 75D’s are ‘eligible’. Totally unsatisfactory IMO but an explanation nonetheless.
Maybe this is why there is no charge -- some cars would have required hardware changes, so the charge would have to cover those, as well as the cost of the upgrade. It got to be a mess, so they decided to just make it free (there isn't much labor involved in hooking the car up to a computer and re-flashing the change) and not even offer it to the people with the wrong hardware.

When the dust settles, they will probably come up with a solution for the other 75Ds with the hardware issue. I don't know if it will be free.

Maybe this is why there is no charge -- some cars would have required hardware changes, so the charge would have to cover those, as well as the cost of the upgrade. It got to be a mess, so they decided to just make it free (there isn't much labor involved in hooking the car up to a computer and re-flashing the change) and not even offer it to the people with the wrong hardware.

When the dust settles, they will probably come up with a solution for the other 75Ds with the hardware issue. I don't know if it will be free.

Having bought, on the face of it, the same car at the same time as the guy next door, I wouldn’t be impressed if he got his upgrade free and I had to pay for mine. At the moment in the UK at least we currently have a level playing field - nobody has the upgrade o_O

Reactions: BerTX
75D #200***.
Syosset, NY SC. I was told they are testing mobile uncorking. I was placed on a list, will get notified when ready. I guess they don't want a bunch of cars clogging the SC just for the update.
Hopefully it works and will save me a trip.

Reactions: BerTX