Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No and no, just a VIN check was needed (after being told no a bunch of times early on as you've likely read by now). I made the point about the fuse and had them check to make sure I had the correct fuse and they said I did after taking a few hours to look into it (be suspicious of an immediate answer). The funny thing was I was originally told keeping it as a 60D would be just fine and I wouldn't need to upgrade....but within 10 mins of leaving the SC I was called and told it was for upgraded models only...so yeah, sold some stock to pay for the upgrade =)
I’m being persistent. I was given the fuse explanation almost immediately after pushing back on incorrect information (“only cars ordered as 75D are eligible”).

I just called and the guy said he’d open a concern inquiry or something like that to dig into it further. It sounded like he couldn’t tell one way or another with the information at hand if it was uncorkable after upgrade to 75D. My fingers are crossed for uncorkability while my wife probably prefers keeping the $2k plus tax and me driving a “fast enough already” car.

Thank you for contacting Tesla regarding your Model X being uncorked. I apologize for any inconvenience the delay in response has caused. Unfortunately your Model X is not eligible for the uncork upgrade as the build date on your vehicle falls before December 2016. I hope this information is useful and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us 24/7 at 877-798-3752.

Thank you and have a great day,

That is what I got from emailing about a 60D. The inconsistency seems to be getting worse.
What did your SC say? My SC manager confirmed that once I upgrade the range it’s capable of the performance update.

I have a S75D (VIN 198xxx) with the BTX8 battery, delivered June 30th, 2017. Was informed by SC that it is not eligible for uncorking... Following I sent an elevated inquiry via MyTesla and at first they responded that the SC must have thought I had a RWD vehicle. Shortly after the SC mailed me that they had checked again and still saying it is ineligible. I just find this hard to believe...
No, your service center just doesn't have the updated list yet. You will certainly be on it. @rmr and @kwillers have uncorked cars similar to yours. Has anyone gotten uncorked 2 in Norway yet? Sweden just started. Part of the holdup may be that Tesla corporate may translate service bulletins into Norwegian and other languages before sending them out. I realize that most Norwegian's English skills are excellent but I am sure there are other country locations where technicians need them localized.

As a commission for my amazing advice, Grin, any chance you'd do a runlog for the Performance Metrics Tracking while waiting? Especially a quarter mile (400M) runlog from iOS Powertools (use vehicle tracking) or on Android's Dashboard for Tesla? We don't have any matched "before and after" runlogs for the BTX8 for 0-60, and we don't have any longer 75 runlogs at all except mine. Yours would be especially interesting because the battery current limits in Amperes would be different (seen in the downward power kW curve starting around four seconds). The car doesn't run into those limits in a 0-60 (0-100) run. It'll look better than my 12.75 sec 99mph (159kph) run, which is at a weak 50% state of charge anyway...

upload_2017-10-27_15-57-44.png

Last edited:
No, your service center just doesn't have the updated list yet. You will certainly be on it. @rmr and @kwillers have uncorked cars similar to yours. Has anyone gotten uncorked 2 in Norway yet? Sweden just started. Part of the holdup may be that Tesla corporate may translate service bulletins into Norwegian and other languages before sending them out. I realize that most Norwegian's English skills are excellent but I am sure there are other country locations where technicians need them localized.

As a commission for my amazing advice, Grin, any chance you'd do a runlog for the Performance Metrics Tracking while waiting? Especially a quarter mile (400M) runlog from iOS Powertools (use vehicle tracking) or on Android's Dashboard for Tesla? We don't have any matched "before and after" runlogs for the BTX8 for 0-60, and we don't have any longer 75 runlogs at all except mine. Yours would be especially interesting because the battery current limits in Amperes would be different (seen in the downward power kW curve starting around four seconds). The car doesn't run into those limits in a 0-60 (0-100) run. It'll look better than my 10.75 sec 93mph (150kph) run, which is at a weak 50% state of charge anyway...

View attachment 256496
Great, thanks for your comforting advice. I'd be happy to provide that for you tomorrow morning. Did these guys get their car uncorked after delivery, so we know there aren't required any hardware modifcations to the vehicle?

• Love
Reactions: D.E.
Good news!!! Tesla contacted me and said all 60d owners who upgrade to 75d are eligible and same with people for 70d that upgrade to 75d. I will post the emails here when I get home
Could someone ask (or tell me who to ask) in the US if there is any info available regarding Dutch, Belgium or UK based cars? We're currently only hearing the "your hardware is not supported" answer, outside of post-July17 cars...

$$$ time for Tesla to boost some cash.

I see that as Tesla’s plan all along.

Then I'm #2. New iPhone X or unlock the battery. I have to pick one or the other.

Funny you said that. I was in the Apple Store looking at the new watch and put it back when I read all 60Ds would be eligible. Said no thank you to the watch. ;)

I did a quick analysis of the Uncorking tracker, mentioned earlier in this thread multiple times. All ineligible cars, apart from 1 (you're #2) are from outside the US or Canada. Based on earlier posts, I would probably ask another SC or get details on why not...
I did ask and they said "The drive train was the problem". Whatever that means, but I interpreted that as the motor(s).

I figure I'll give it a few more weeks and ask again.

There are definitely 85kwh batteries in some 75 cars in europe - you can even select on the battery on my tracker. It appears to be a small batch of them for a short period and then it reverted to 75
That was sort of my point. They only did this for a small number of cars while there are a ton of people being told they are not eligible for uncorking, so the two are likely not related.

So after being told no by 6+ SCs my relentless pursuit for an answer paid off. HQ reached out to me and confirmed that if I did indeed upgrade my car from a 60D to a 75D I would be eligible (11/16 build - 169xxx). They are being bombarded left and right as you can assume and are slowly, but surely adding more VINs as many of us have suspected.

From what I've seen and from what he said is that most qualify, but they do need to confirm as it is not a blanket yes for all. He would not elaborate much more as expected, but did not deny when I mentioned the high amperage fuse and/or drive train unit. The good thing is that they are willing to put it in writing via an email after all which means I will be "investing" $2K in my car tonight. In summary, don't safely assume if you have a 75D or the ability to upgrade your car into one that you qualify, but according to the tracker, I have noticed that all post ~Aug 2016 and on have qualified for what it's worth...