Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but this “pre-July 2017 uncorkable” thing feels like an urban legend. I’m sure cars delivered late June 2017 probably have the identical HW as those delivered July and later, but what is the source indicating cars built much earlier are “uncorkable”?
Well, we uncorked one, is this enough of a source?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but this “pre-July 2017 uncorkable” thing feels like an urban legend. I’m sure cars delivered late June 2017 probably have the identical HW as those delivered July and later, but what is the source indicating cars built much earlier are “uncorkable”?
No, not at all. This is a well known thing, with plenty of people having letters back from Tesla confirming it.
The new 75 and 75D cars are about 1s faster 0-60.
Older (facelift) 75D cars have been 'uncorked' to have this same faster time when they are being resold by Tesla.
Also, some people whose cars were made months before 1st July but delivered afterward were able to get uncorked.

Basically at this stage it seems Tesla is only uncorking cars delivered after 1st July, regardless of build date.
I remain hopeful that they will uncork all cars, if only to cause 50,000 simultaneous orgasms around the planet.

...it's a whole new electric motor that's enabling those new performance numbers

this “pre-July 2017 uncorkable” thing feels like an urban legend... what is the source indicating cars built much earlier are “uncorkable”?

Well, we uncorked one, is this enough of a source?

If verygreen's work and the 0 to 60 thread are not convincing enough see the metrics thread for a dozen community sourced runlogs, many of which are from older, uncorked cars.

data>urban legend

Last edited:
It increases performance of the non-performance vehicles:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds

It's a bit controversial because Tesla is refusing the upgrade vehicles after a hard set delivery date although a lot more cars are capable hardware-wise. Some folks were rushed delivery at the end of the quarter and barely missed the cutoff point. And they're also taking old CPO vehicles and giving them "uncorking" which makes me wonder if my '14 RWD S is capable of such numbers...

What about 90D's ? I took delivery in August and Tesla support said they weren't sure if they could uncork me (I showed that I was corked). The support person said they had notes on 75's and 100's but not 90s... they were supposed to get back with me but haven't.

Are you referring to the S100Ds having a factory uncorkable setting? Their rumored 3.3 sec 0-60? The X 100D uncorkng? Or something else?
the quote above said that X 100D 0-60 time is reduced from 5.2s to 4.7s. Now, I am sure part of it is rollout that was not part of non-P 0-60 times and now is so those times are not directly comparable, but still due to a reference above about uncorking of 100Ds (both X and S I assume) instructions at Service Centers it appears there's at least something that could be gained for S/X 100D.

It's possible for 100D max torque is applied a bit longer than before, since otherwise power limits apparently did not change (I did not verify this, just heard some reports, need to see what my battery limits actually are)

the quote above said that X 100D 0-60 time is reduced from 5.2s to 4.7s. Now, I am sure part of it is rollout that was not part of non-P 0-60 times and now is so those times are not directly comparable, but still due to a reference above about uncorking of 100Ds (both X and S I assume) instructions at Service Centers it appears there's at least something that could be gained for S/X 100D...It's possible for 100D max torque is applied a bit longer than before, since otherwise power limits apparently did not change (I did not verify this, just heard some reports, need to see what my battery limits actually are)
Fred's original coverage of uncorking listed the times for the X100D and S100D and as a half second and tenth of a second improvement respectively. I understand there are only a couple factors determining 0-60 times, the main two being the torque limit and power limit. Look at Xtek's runlog in the metrics thread. I think the torque limit goes from 500Nm to 550Nm and Power limit goes from 360kW to 405kW. Approximately. Because of the torque limit the rate of change of acceleration goes from 100kWs2 to 120 kWs2. So the car accelerates faster until it hits the power limit and accelerates longer because the power limit is higher. Hence the new 0-60 times. The runlogs are the most illustrative:
upload_2017-10-14_7-45-20.png
upload_2017-10-14_7-45-38.png

Huh, on your graphs uncorked X 100D reaches 60mph from true 0 in 4 seconds and corked in ~4.2? This is way better than official stated number and the SoC is not even at 100%? I need to look into this whole runlog thing I guess. I guess I should be able to get compatible data from inside the car itself with no additional cables attached.

So this is news to me. I stopped following the uncorking of 75D's b/c I was under the impression there was a hardware requirement. I would freaking pay to get 1 second off my 0-60.

Does anyone know if the VA SC is entertaining uncorking?

What about 90D's ? I took delivery in August and Tesla support said they weren't sure if they could uncork me (I showed that I was corked). The support person said they had notes on 75's and 100's but not 90s... they were supposed to get back with me but haven't.

I'm curious as well. I have a late December Model X 90D, so I'm wondering if this is even possible to uncork for the extra speed.

I'm curious as well. I have a late December Model X 90D, so I'm wondering if this is even possible to uncork for the extra speed.
There was no uncorking announced for the 90, but there were new S90s produced after the uncorking date, so it is possible that there were also X90s produced with a difference in uncorking state. I assume an S90 would be a tenth of a second 0-60 change like the S100s, not the larger difference for the S75s, an X90 change would probably be larger, like the X100. I'll ask around.

Last edited: