TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Uncouple Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JCB_Arizona, Jun 14, 2016.

1. JCB_Arizona

JCB_Arizona Member

What do you guys think are the chances of Tesla reverting back to coil suspension for 6/7 seater? It's an option I don't really have a need for, and I haven't had great experiences long term with air suspensions. hesitant to pull the trigger because of this.
    Maybe tesla can read this. :)

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

They're pumping out 2000ish vehicles a week with the air suspension. I'd say your chances are the same as Gary Johnson winning the presidency.

• Funny x 2
  3. maratd

maratd Member

So super excellent? :)

• Funny x 1
  4. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

I can understand your hesitancy. There is another thread buried here somewhere where others with a lot more expertise in air suspensions weigh in on the concerns and how today's air suspensions have come a loooong way compared to those just 5-10 years ago. Hence your concern levels should be a little less.

5. rlpvl

rlpvl Member

I think Tesla will open this back up. The introduction of the 60D indicates a weakening of demand for Model X, requiring Tesla to offer a lower-priced vehicle to keep their pipeline full. It's reasonable to assume that they'll re-introduce coil suspension options for 6/7 seaters too to stimulate demand. I'm still waiting for my 6-seater 75D (reserved 6/2013, configured 11/2016) with coil suspension to enter production, but data I exported from ModelXTracker.com shows that someone else's similar order entered production on 7/15, so they're finally getting ready to start building X's with coil suspension! Now would be a sensible time to re-offer that configuration.

6. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

It's a shame orders for coil can't que into a batch of cars where they can save on all the SAS parts. It's more than just the struts, and I bet they see the costs as sunk. So, the first thing people who'd go with 5 seats and coils see is an indefinite wait, or $5,500 or $6,500 in upgrades to actually get the car. That stings a bit, when you think you're going to be in it for <$66,500 after tax-credit.

7. m2s2

m2s2 Member

my air suspension is already broken, and i don't have vehicle yet. They've delayed my delivery while they try and replace part.

8. Petra

Petra Member

Given my recent experience living with a P85+ loaner, I feel totally vindicated in my choice to ditch air suspension and go with coils on my Model S... The air, even on the old performance+ models, is floaty, wallowy, and just awful. I mean, sure, it's a lot softer and takes the harshness out of our crumbling roads, but you're sacrificing a lot in exchange.

Is the air suspension in the X equally horrible? The bundling of the air suspension with so many of the Model X options is a huge turn-off for me.

• Like x 1
  9. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Air susp is the one option I'd pay not to have. First P85, until fall '13, never on P85+. Then P85D took 3-4 months of builds before coils came. Now, MX has been in production even longer, and still no coil / Bilstein setups.

• Like x 1
  10. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

After repeated issues with SAS in a previous vehicle (ICE), I've sworn off of it. It's not a question of if it will break, it's a question of when, how many times, and how much $$ you'll spend on repairs. Non-starter....

It's a novelty in a car that isn't going to tow, and spends 99.9% of its life on pavement.