Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncouple Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think are the chances of Tesla reverting back to coil suspension for 6/7 seater? It's an option I don't really have a need for, and I haven't had great experiences long term with air suspensions. hesitant to pull the trigger because of this.
Maybe tesla can read this. :)

What do you guys think are the chances of Tesla reverting back to coil suspension for 6/7 seater? It's an option I don't really have a need for, and I haven't had great experiences long term with air suspensions. hesitant to pull the trigger because of this.
I can understand your hesitancy. There is another thread buried here somewhere where others with a lot more expertise in air suspensions weigh in on the concerns and how today's air suspensions have come a loooong way compared to those just 5-10 years ago. Hence your concern levels should be a little less.

I think Tesla will open this back up. The introduction of the 60D indicates a weakening of demand for Model X, requiring Tesla to offer a lower-priced vehicle to keep their pipeline full. It's reasonable to assume that they'll re-introduce coil suspension options for 6/7 seaters too to stimulate demand. I'm still waiting for my 6-seater 75D (reserved 6/2013, configured 11/2016) with coil suspension to enter production, but data I exported from ModelXTracker.com shows that someone else's similar order entered production on 7/15, so they're finally getting ready to start building X's with coil suspension! Now would be a sensible time to re-offer that configuration.

It's a shame orders for coil can't que into a batch of cars where they can save on all the SAS parts. It's more than just the struts, and I bet they see the costs as sunk. So, the first thing people who'd go with 5 seats and coils see is an indefinite wait, or $5,500 or $6,500 in upgrades to actually get the car. That stings a bit, when you think you're going to be in it for <$66,500 after tax-credit.

Given my recent experience living with a P85+ loaner, I feel totally vindicated in my choice to ditch air suspension and go with coils on my Model S... The air, even on the old performance+ models, is floaty, wallowy, and just awful. I mean, sure, it's a lot softer and takes the harshness out of our crumbling roads, but you're sacrificing a lot in exchange.

Is the air suspension in the X equally horrible? The bundling of the air suspension with so many of the Model X options is a huge turn-off for me.

Reactions: sunilsf
Air susp is the one option I'd pay not to have. First P85, until fall '13, never on P85+. Then P85D took 3-4 months of builds before coils came. Now, MX has been in production even longer, and still no coil / Bilstein setups.

Reactions: bonaire
The bundling of the air suspension with so many of the Model X options is a huge turn-off for me.

After repeated issues with SAS in a previous vehicle (ICE), I've sworn off of it. It's not a question of if it will break, it's a question of when, how many times, and how much $$ you'll spend on repairs. Non-starter....

It's a novelty in a car that isn't going to tow, and spends 99.9% of its life on pavement.