Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undecided following test drive of both S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same spec as myself! I came from an RX450h, got my S75D in November from ordering at the beginning of September. Each to their own, the negatives the MX had over the MS for me personally were:

Width - I go through 6'6" and 7' restrictions a fair bit and the general public parking spaces around me are very narrow.
Range - Less than the MX. Done a few localish trips in North & East Yorkshire on one charge which we couldn't have done in an MX and would have had to gone a fair distance out of the way to charge up.
Cost - Another £10k or so for a similar spec.
Falcon Wing Doors - I just don't like them.
Huge windscreen - I seem to go through a lot of windscreens, the insurance would cover but concerned about the next years premium as a lot are asking if you had to claim for windscreen replacement now.
Reliability - As mentioned above, on the owners FB page, it seems that the X has a lot more issues in general, I've no issues so far.

The plus points on the MX for me were door storage, height, door storage, rear cargo capacity, door storage, and ease of getting in and out with higher seats in the back. Did I mention door storage?

I do miss the height of the RX, but I put the seat up a bit and it's not that too bad and on crappy roads you can lift up the suspension. Space wise, we can still chuck a similar amount of cargo in the MS. I keep thinking I should have got the MX but the issues above remind me why not. My wife is just coming round to it as she loved the RX and would have preferred a new RX or the MX just because of the height and size, but she's a bit of girl-racer at heart (Mini-driver), so I think she secretly likes the S, it gets a lot of respect, I never had ramdom people coming up to me in car parks commenting on the car when I had a Lexus.

Reactions: CotswoldSara
The plus points on the MX for me were door storage, height, door storage, rear cargo capacity, door storage, and ease of getting in and out with higher seats in the back. Did I mention door storage?
It's funny how big a thing door storage is. The first time I looked at a Model S I walked away because it had no door storage. Over the next few weeks I talked myself round, as I started loving so many other things about it, and you've got pretty decent centre storage, but it was a big hurdle I had to get over mentally.

I've ended up ordering a Model X, so it's not going to be an issue now anyway. Just the worry of what's going to go wrong with the FWDs now!

Sounds nice @FutureEV big thumbs up from me :D

@Alexa , that's nearly the exact same decision process I went through. I'm not that bothered about width, although I do find myself involuntarily squeaking sometimes when I have to get very close to things to fit somewhere ... my first trip to our dentists in the MS might be interesting as their car park is very tight & was a huge squeeze in the RX. The viz around the MS (& MX for that fact) are pretty good so I'm hoping there'll just be lots of bonging & grimacing on my part :D I *do* actually like to FWDs and I'd have liked a towbar (for mounting my cycle carrier on, which I've now sold) but I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the MX & the reduced range on the same size battery ... so it'd have been even more cost to get the bigger battery. Basically I just wasn't willing to sacrifice missing any of the toys :D

I don't find I miss door storage that much, the centre console in the MS is pretty cavernous.

We have both. A 2014 Model S P85 2WD and a 2017 Model X D75.

The S is the sportier car and has the best ride and would be my personal choice. The extra height of the seating position on the X plus the excellent position of the front A pillars makes placing this wide car easier than the S.

The X is available with the self closing front doors, which are an excellent feature you never knew you wanted until you have them.

The S does around 330 watts per mile where the bigger heavier X does 450 watts per mile on average. This means the S75D is enough car for most people most of the time, whereas I would seriously consider the 100kw battery for the X which puts it in a different price league.

Which do we take to the airport? The S every time. For four of us the huge boot plus the frunk swallows everything we need. The X does this as well but this is one of the few times that the Falcon doors are a pain. The height sensor stops them opening fully along with the boot. Rear passengers have to extract themselves through a restricted opening like a letter box and you go on holiday with bruises on your forehead from banging in to the half open tailgate.

In the end these are both great cars, which do you see yourself in?