Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

under 10,000 per year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that Tesla could sell that many $200,000+ cars in a year. I don’t think the market is there. But I’m just guessing, I am not an expert.

If the new Roadster had a base price of $100,000 then I think Tesla could easily sell over 10,000/year.

Yes a few thousands a year for a car at this price would be considered very good. On the other hand just like the Model S and Model 3 Tesla will pull in people who have never bought a car this expensive and never would have otherwise. Many people will consider it once in a life opportunity to have something this (distinctively) good. For those who are in the market for a higher end 911 or sports sedans from Merc or BMW it will be very hard for them to resist the temptation of at least considering the Roadster. This could really jack up the demand. 10,000 is still a very reasonable number imo.

Reactions: Joerg
I know we are on a Tesla site so this goes without saying for the most part, but..... The Roadster looks so much better. This is my opinion of course as looks are in the eye of the beholder ;)
I prefer the Battista apart from the horrible design at the front of the hood (for all of you Americanites:))
They've recently amended it to make it look better, but I still think it ruins the look enough for me to prefer the roadster.

Reactions: byeLT4
Reactions: byeLT4
Isn’t it conceivable that other manufacturers of higher end sports cars will start to build similarly performing EVs? It feels like we passed the tipping point a few years ago when Porsche starting developing their Mission E / Taycan, but since then adoption and development have been extremely slow. The E-Tron has been received with little to no fanfare.

If I am constantly looking for high performance EV’s, that must mean that the market is there no? Yet, I see little in the way of the major performance manufacturers doing anything tangible. Obviously, Tesla has a huge leap in the form of their supercharger network, but other performance manufacturers do have vast experience with their brands and loyalty from their consumers.

Isn’t it conceivable that other manufacturers of higher end sports cars will start to build similarly performing EVs?

The outlook is not so good. Going electric is a disruption that they didn't ask for, a risk they aren't eager to take. Most of those companies won't respond until after Tesla has started eating their lunch, and even then their response is going to be slow, if only because everything in the car business happens slowly.

Reactions: CarlK
The outlook is not so good. Going electric is a disruption that they didn't ask for, a risk they aren't eager to take. Most of those companies won't respond until after Tesla has started eating their lunch, and even then their response is going to be slow, if only because everything in the car business happens slowly.

Those companies make exotic looking body but any kit car designers could do those things. What set them apart is their engine and transmission technologies. They just can't throw those away and start from scratch to do electric that they are already behind Tesla. Just look at the Taycan. A real disappointment for paying that price for the performance. Although I have to commend Porsche for at least gave it a try. Others still don't know what is hitting them.

A related story:
BMW CEO Harald Krueger is stepping down - CNN

The Roadster 2020 will be a Tesla "halo" car. It probably will never make money for Tesla and maybe even loose money. Going back to the OP: "under 10,000 per year" gosh I sure hope not that many even in the life time of the car! Keep it rare & pricey & keep it "halo!"

I wouldn’t worry too much about 0-60 time. It’s traction limited. We don’t need a tire that can do 0-60 in 1.5 sec but only last 1000 miles. It’s all about 60-130 or 40 mph role. If Porsche buyers are getting a new turbo for just under 200k. Turbo is very fast but relaxed DD. Roadster will outperform it in every metric and could easily be a DD.

I wouldn’t worry too much about 0-60 time. It’s traction limited.

True and that's where the SpaceX package comes in. Cold thrusters will not rely on tires to accelerate or steer. That's why Elon said it is kind of unfair to other cars. I wouldn't want it but still will be happy to see the hardcore (softcore is not enough) smackdown on those ICE hypercars.