Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under-appreciated aspect of Tesla vs other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe that's because, like others have said as well, other car manufacturers ship finished products with fully functioning software and well thought-out user interfaces that don't require constant OTA updates to be usable as promised.

A relative bought a BMW 3 series. He cannot link his phone via BT eventhough this is on the feature list.
I guess he should bought a finished product with a fully functioning software and some halfbaked broken german stuff ...

This is a minor worry for me; will driving my wife's Nissan crossover (which I do sometimes on weekends) become unacceptable once I get used to Model 3?

Obviously there's the EV/ICE difference, but the usage differences may actually be a bigger issue.
From Bolt/Camry Hybrid dual driving; After 3 months it I still feels very noticeably different every time switching, not sure that's faded at all. That briskness of the EV is hard to not have permeate the driving experience....and of course the Bolt's seats have a "briskness" in a negative direction, too. That's pretty hard to not notice when you first get in, and don't expect that to leave anytime soon, either.

On the functional operating side; Because the Bolt is "traditional" in that it's got the On button, that's not something I had to adjust to. Same with doing a double check because I didn't hear an engine as the Camry often won't fire up the engine for a while (I went through adjusting to those "huh?" moments several years ago, and quickly ingrained switching exceptions from full ICE to the Camry's version). It was getting used to switching from regen to not regen was the biggest thing on operating, and I think that'll hold true with the Model 3. De-acceleration is a lot more critical and time critical IMO than remembering how to get moving to start with. :)

Still it just took switching back and forth over the period of about a month to truly get the separation between them locked into their own, separate state-of-minds and habits.

Agreed completely. There is no significant distinction between "stopped" and "off" in terms of an electric motor, but the same is not true of a combustion engine.

What's ridiculous is cars like the new Leaf still having a start/stop button including a fully-separate "accessory" mode.

Nothing ridiculous about the leaf having a start stop button. I don't need the car turning on every single time I open the door.

Reactions: gavine
Nothing ridiculous about the leaf having a start stop button. I don't need the car turning on every single time I open the door.
I'm not suggesting Nissan needed to copy fully Tesla, but is there any reason why a Leaf needs to distinguish between "on" and "in accessory mode"? There's no reason not to have a simple on/off button (with no additional modes depending on how you use it) that turns the electronics on, and if you want to drive you then put your foot on the brake and "shift" to Drive.

I'm not suggesting Nissan needed to copy fully Tesla, but is there any reason why a Leaf needs to distinguish between "on" and "in accessory mode"? There's no reason not to have a simple on/off button (with no additional modes depending on how you use it) that turns the electronics on, and if you want to drive you then put your foot on the brake and "shift" to Drive.
Maybe it has to do with touch screen, or other sub-system power draw?

My Roadster has an old-fashioned key-start including an accessory mode. It's kind of disconcerting that the Model 3 is on and ready to drive as soon as I unlock it (or it unlocks itself). I'm starting to get used to that, but I still sit there for a few moments wondering what I'm forgetting to do.
I thought you had to step on the brake to get the car ready to drive — the equivalent of "on". The computer systems should turn on when you open the car — I guess that would be similar to accessory mode. Anyway, that's how the S works and I thought I'd read that the 3 was much the same.
This is a minor worry for me; will driving my wife's Nissan crossover (which I do sometimes on weekends) become unacceptable once I get used to Model 3? Obviously there's the EV/ICE difference, but the usage differences may actually be a bigger issue.

Not that that's a reason not to get a Model 3...
There have been some reports that Tesla drivers switching to their ICE cars sometimes leave them on because there is no need to turn a Tesla off beyond pushing the "Park" button. I had a problem with an ICE rental because I would forget to lock it — not that it really matters where I live — because I am so used to walk-away locking with my Tesla.

Last edited:
I thought you had to step on the brake to get the car ready to drive — the equivalent of "on". ...

I step on the brake to make the seat and steering wheel switch from Easy Entry to Daniel. And I am in the habit of always stepping on the brake before shifting into gear anyway. Guess I don't know if it's needed to get the car to shift into ON, or just needed to shift into Forward or Reverse. Like an automatic transmission car where you have to step on the brake to shift into or out of Park.

A relative bought a BMW 3 series. He cannot link his phone via BT eventhough this is on the feature list.
I guess he should bought a finished product with a fully functioning software and some halfbaked broken german stuff ...

Perhaps he should have rtfm. I don't know anyone with a BT enabled BMW where that feature doesn't work. But that's just as anecdotal as yours, so there...

Reactions: Carnook

Yes, if I need to pull mileage or update charge settings, or listen to the radio, etc. I can do that without having to energize the high voltage battery and turn all the systems on just to power them off, wastes energy and adds wear to some of the DC-DC components. If I want to just access the accessories then I simply push the button and I don't have energize everything. If I want to drive I put my foot on the brake and push the button and it turns on all the high voltage systems. If I just need to grab my wallet or bag, whatever out of the car I simply open the door and grab it. Nothing turns on and there's not power draw from anything. I also like how I can leave the car unlocked so if I'm making multiple trips or something with some time in between I don't have to keep the key on me I can just put it on the hanger when I get home.

Simply put the button press and brake pedal + push separates the 12v and high voltage systems and keeps the car from turning on unnessesarily It take no more time or effort to get in the car and start driving than with the Tesla.

I thought you had to step on the brake to get the car ready to drive — the equivalent of "on". The computer systems should turn on when you open the car — I guess that would be similar to accessory mode. Anyway, that's how the S works and I thought I'd read that the 3 was much the same.
There have been some reports that Tesla drivers switching to their ICE cars sometimes leave them on because there is no need to turn a Tesla off beyond pushing the "Park" button. I had a problem with an ICE rental because I would forget to lock it — not that it really matters where I live — because I am so used to walk-away locking with my Tesla.

If you're still talking about the leaf I don't want anything turning on when I get in the car. Is there really any time saved but the Tesla turnin on when you open the door? You still have to put your foot on the brake in the Tesla. In the leaf the car turns on when you want it and you still have to put your foot on the brake and push a button and that takes all of half a second to push the button. But what I do get in return is the car not turning on every single time I open the door. In the Tesla the 12v drain is bad enough, I don't like that opening the door just adds to it for no reason. sometime I get in the car, get situatied and realise I forgot something so getting out, taking the fob with me to open the house, shuts the car down and locks the door if I close it and keeps everything on if I leave it open. In the Leaf I just get out of the car and its no harm to anything because nothing ever turned on.

Maybe that's because, like others have said as well, other car manufacturers ship finished products with fully functioning software and well thought-out user interfaces that don't require constant OTA updates to be usable as promised.

What kind of really new functions did OTA updates add to your Model S since you purchased it?

Comprehensive List Shows How Tesla's OTA Updates Continue To Improve Vehicles

It's an older article so the list only goes up to end of 2016. The vast majority of the items on that list were new features or enhancements, big and small. Model 3 firmware will clean up fast. You're well within your right to gripe that Tesla chose to release the 3 with incomplete firmware. But let's not kid ourselves that Tesla's OTAs are used only for bug fixes.

The entire fleet of S/X is about to get a navigation overhaul. One could argue the existing nav was good enough as released in 2012. But now it's going to be better, and that is such a differentiator from traditional auto manufacturers.

If other car manufacturers are so good at designing well thought out user interfaces, maybe the check engine light should actually indicate a fault with the engine and not a loose gas cap/door.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
Yes, if I need to pull mileage or update charge settings, or listen to the radio, etc. I can do that without having to energize the high voltage battery and turn all the systems on just to power them off, wastes energy and adds wear to some of the DC-DC components. If I want to just access the accessories then I simply push the button and I don't have energize everything. If I want to drive I put my foot on the brake and push the button and it turns on all the high voltage systems. If I just need to grab my wallet or bag, whatever out of the car I simply open the door and grab it. Nothing turns on and there's not power draw from anything. I also like how I can leave the car unlocked so if I'm making multiple trips or something with some time in between I don't have to keep the key on me I can just put it on the hanger when I get home.

Simply put the button press and brake pedal + push separates the 12v and high voltage systems and keeps the car from turning on unnessesarily It take no more time or effort to get in the car and start driving than with the Tesla.

If you're still talking about the leaf I don't want anything turning on when I get in the car. Is there really any time saved but the Tesla turnin on when you open the door? You still have to put your foot on the brake in the Tesla. In the leaf the car turns on when you want it and you still have to put your foot on the brake and push a button and that takes all of half a second to push the button. But what I do get in return is the car not turning on every single time I open the door. In the Tesla the 12v drain is bad enough, I don't like that opening the door just adds to it for no reason. sometime I get in the car, get situatied and realise I forgot something so getting out, taking the fob with me to open the house, shuts the car down and locks the door if I close it and keeps everything on if I leave it open. In the Leaf I just get out of the car and its no harm to anything because nothing ever turned on.

Yeah, but then they'd have had to put a button in the car, and they wanted to eliminate every possible physical control. :eek: (I agree with you. I'd rather have a button and leave the car off until I want it on.)

ICE needs a start/stop button. What if you pull-into your garage and don't want to get-out of the car right away? Are you saying you have to open the door to shut-off the engine and then close it again? Or, you pull-up to a full-service gas station. You have to open the door to shut the car off? What if the engine stalls? How do you re-start it?
The Merc has start-stop so in general it stops the engine whenever the car is stopped. But it would be very easy to implement that it completely turns off when you put it in park, and starts only when you put it in gear. Why do you need the start button for that?

Reactions: ℬête Noire

I think the only reason the high voltage system engages when you open the door is beacause Tesla wants the HVAC system to start as soon as you open the door for some reason. I guess to get a head start on cooling/warming the cabin? Either way, I wish that wasn’t the case. I got in the habit of turning the HVAC off whenever I exit the car because I don’t want it turning on unnecessarily whenever I open the door.

That is what I always think about... as soon as I get a new phone and install the apps I want/need, I disable automatic updates.
A friend of mine had an Iphone update 18months ago... which rendered his phone useless. he went to the store where an entire
group of people had useless phones... which happened to be on the same day as a new phone release.
Problem is NOT updating screws you in a different way. Things gradually stop working. Apps stop being supported. They force you to update to keep using them, which forces you to update your phone, which slows down you phone and forces you to buy a new one. We're all on a technology treadmill. We don't own it, we're just renting it, and the makers are calculating just how fast they can make us buy new hardware without losing our loyalty.

Old fogies like me will remember dial telephones. They lasted forever and never broke down. With a long enough cord you could walk all the way around the room carrying it. Phone in one hand, handset in the other. (And an hour-long phone call from North Dakota to California cost about $50 adjusted to today's money, at off-peak rates on the weekend!)

ETA: And it never needed updating, and it came in the very popular black color.

...If you're still talking about the leaf I don't want anything turning on when I get in the car. Is there really any time saved but the Tesla turnin on when you open the door? You still have to put your foot on the brake in the Tesla. In the leaf the car turns on when you want it and you still have to put your foot on the brake and push a button and that takes all of half a second to push the button. But what I do get in return is the car not turning on every single time I open the door. In the Tesla the 12v drain is bad enough, I don't like that opening the door just adds to it for no reason. sometime I get in the car, get situatied and realise I forgot something so getting out, taking the fob with me to open the house, shuts the car down and locks the door if I close it and keeps everything on if I leave it open. In the Leaf I just get out of the car and its no harm to anything because nothing ever turned on.
I was talking about the Model 3, this being a Model 3 thread. With my S the car doesn't actually turn on until I press the brake pedal and I believe that the 3 works the same way. The low voltage systems wake up when the car door is opened. Since you don't like this, it appears that a Tesla is not a good choice for you.