Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under the new Frunk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having Homelink installed this morning. Here is a picture of under the new design frunk. No changes that I can see. Late August 2020 build.

IMG_3436.jpeg

After working on so many gas vehicles I love how clean these things always are and stay. Look how nice that is.
I mean, it's less than a month old... It should be clean!

Although, my interior was WAY dirtier than this at delivery. Dirt and hand prints everywhere. I was very upset and almost refused delivery. I probably should have, except I would have missed the $7500 tax credit.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Personally, if Homelink hadn't been included when I bought the car I would have skipped it and installed a full wifi enable module for the garage door instead. Homelink is kinda crap anyway, as it doesn't know whether the door is open or closed - just send a signal to toggle whatever state it's in. I've since installed Tailwind and it's much nicer, including the ability to set "night time" so that it always makes sure the garage door(s) are closed.

I need to do that next, first car I buy in this price range that requires extra work for a garage door opener. Not impressed.

Are those 12 volt batteries lithium now?

Tesla is not going to invest in a lithium 12volt any time soon. Checkout the Ohmu battery if you want a Lithium 12volt although there's been some issues with Tesla and updates but supposedly Ohmu (the company) has been in touch with Tesla and a fix is on the way (this month I think actually).

They stopped included the Homelink because that module is a good chunk of money and not every buyer of Tesla wants Homelink so they took it out. It's a simple purchase and install, hell, they'll even come to you at home or work. Personally it's not worth $300 but many people really like it. Word on the street is that Tesla is going to enable a wifi version that I "think" will not require any hardware but I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me.

Reactions: android04
Tesla is not going to invest in a lithium 12volt any time soon.

I agree. I don't think Lithium makes any sense for them. It adds cost and complexity, since you'd need to add a heater and BMS in the 12V battery. I'm not sure what Ohmu does with their batteries for cold weather charging. It needs to have a heater, otherwise the 12V can never be charged once it gets too cold, which would disable the car, once the 12V is depleted.

I also think the current SLA battery and usage makes it last more than 4 years, so it puts the first replacement out of warranty, so the costs don't matter for Tesla.

Personally, if Homelink hadn't been included when I bought the car I would have skipped it and installed a full wifi enable module for the garage door instead. Homelink is kinda crap anyway, as it doesn't know whether the door is open or closed - just send a signal to toggle whatever state it's in. I've since installed Tailwind and it's much nicer, including the ability to set "night time" so that it always makes sure the garage door(s) are closed.

There were rumors about wifi garage door options coming soon. I have a garage door that supports myQ, so have never felt the need to add homelink.

Reactions: SlimJim
There were rumors about wifi garage door options coming soon. I have a garage door that supports myQ, so have never felt the need to add homelink.

Seems pretty good. Does it automatically open as you drive up? That's what I like about the homelink integration. It's just seamless.

I separately have a Garage Door Buddy to monitor the state of my door from my phone, since I can't see the doors from my house.

I have a question for you guys with homelink.

How does it know what state the door is in?

So if I pull up and it automatically sends a signal what if the door was already open? Does it know?
It doesn't know the state. So if you drive up to it and your wife's SUV tail gate is open... And garage door will be triggered by homelink and it'll close on your suv trunk and cost you $4000 to fix. Ask me how I know.