Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under what conditions would you refuse delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing so many posts from people mentioning defects and other issues upon delivery, I was wondering, under what conditions would you refuse delivery? I haven't made this decision yet for myself, but I want to have a clear idea in mind before my delivery date. It just seems like it might be a bigger hassle after the fact to get things corrected than it would be to insist on the car being made properly from the beginning. Has anyone else thought about this yet?

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
The closest delivery center is over one and a half hours away from my home This would make me more inclined to refuse delivery. The prospect of sacrificing a day to drop off and retrieve a car is a big detriment. This is an additional consideration for the Tesla brand since they have far fewer locations around the country compared to their competitors.

I'd say any significant paint flaws would be a show-stopper as the idea of a repainted new car is one I'm not willing to deal with. Body panel alignment issues would concern me depending on their severity. If two panels are rubbing in such a way that it's down to the sheet metal, then I'd refuse delivery.

Cracked glass, ripped seats, ripped aero shield underneath the car or actual paint missing we’re going to be where I drew the line.

Luckily I received a great car with a barely misaligned panel which was noted with my DA at delivery.

I would refuse at the sign of any imperfection that was unsatisfactory to me.

Tesla’s promises of fixing items down the road are total BS.

This is the only way they will ever get QC under control. When people start rejecting the crap they are attempting to pass off during delivery.

Reactions: N5329K and super20g
Thanks for all your thoughts! We're not going to be super nit-picky, but it is a very expensive car so we do expect the paint to look right and for parts to be aligned correctly and not have any obvious broken parts to it. It's helpful to have a plan going into it so I can just enjoy the experience moving forward. :)

If I were to do it again, I would reject delivery if the car require any paint work after delivery.

This happened to me yesterday at Tesla Vancouver. The attitude was "Take it or leave it, wait another 4 weeks and risk the EV rebate runs out" *with a smirk. They tried to buff it out unsuccessfully, the damage went through the paint into the bumper.

Pics here Vancouver BC VIN .

• Helpful
Reactions: Mansley
This happened to me yesterday at Tesla Vancouver. The attitude was "Take it or leave it, wait another 4 weeks and risk the EV rebate runs out" *with a smirk. They tried to buff it out unsuccessfully, the damage went through the paint into the bumper.

Pics here Vancouver BC VIN .

Add on

Insurance company will look at the depreciation of existing damage to potential pay less even if you are not at fault. Even a 5-10% on a $10000 bumper repair will be $500-$1000. You can fight it of course.

I refused an M3P yesterday. Paint chips and dent in rocker panel. I would also refuse major panel alignment issues unless they can fix it on the spot at the service center before you take delivery. I've decided i'm going to wait until the end of this quarter to order again. I'm giving them one more chance. If they mess up the next one then i'm sticking with an ICE vehicle and most likely getting a m340i. i currently drive a 2014 audi s4 and it was flawless when i picked it up at the dealership.

I ordered on 6/1, was set for a delivery date of 6/12. When the vehicle arrived on 6/10 I received a phone call from the delivery manager to let me know that there were some chips on the front bumper and he wasn’t happy with how it looked so offered to deliver it and have a new factory bumper installed once it was available. He texted pictures and it looks like it must have been the lead vehicle on a truck that was hit by stones or gravel. I asked him about the hood and windshield and he found minor chips in both. He offered to have the hood resprayed and the windshield replaced, but to me that is no longer a “new” vehicle. He was very understanding and was able to find another vehicle with the same configuration that was being delivered within 3 days. It arrived yesterday and I took delivery today. Kudos to Tesla of Springfield, NJ as they handled this really well.

Reactions: Mansley
I ordered on 6/1, was set for a delivery date of 6/12. When the vehicle arrived on 6/10 I received a phone call from the delivery manager to let me know that there were some chips on the front bumper and he wasn’t happy with how it looked so offered to deliver it and have a new factory bumper installed once it was available. He texted pictures and it looks like it must have been the lead vehicle on a truck that was hit by stones or gravel. I asked him about the hood and windshield and he found minor chips in both. He offered to have the hood resprayed and the windshield replaced, but to me that is no longer a “new” vehicle. He was very understanding and was able to find another vehicle with the same configuration that was being delivered within 3 days. It arrived yesterday and I took delivery today. Kudos to Tesla of Springfield, NJ as they handled this really well.

I wish my service center would have done the same for me. They were clearly hoping that i wouldn't notice the paint chips and dent.