TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Under what conditions would you refuse delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by morningstar, Jun 13, 2019.

1. morningstar

morningstar Member

After seeing so many posts from people mentioning defects and other issues upon delivery, I was wondering, under what conditions would you refuse delivery? I haven't made this decision yet for myself, but I want to have a clear idea in mind before my delivery date. It just seems like it might be a bigger hassle after the fact to get things corrected than it would be to insist on the car being made properly from the beginning. Has anyone else thought about this yet?

• Helpful x 1
  2. Crgkart

Crgkart Member

If I were to do it again, I would reject delivery if the car require any paint work after delivery.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
  3. The Outrage

The Outrage Member

The closest delivery center is over one and a half hours away from my home This would make me more inclined to refuse delivery. The prospect of sacrificing a day to drop off and retrieve a car is a big detriment. This is an additional consideration for the Tesla brand since they have far fewer locations around the country compared to their competitors.

I'd say any significant paint flaws would be a show-stopper as the idea of a repainted new car is one I'm not willing to deal with. Body panel alignment issues would concern me depending on their severity. If two panels are rubbing in such a way that it's down to the sheet metal, then I'd refuse delivery.

4. DOC52

DOC52 Member

Cracked glass, ripped seats, ripped aero shield underneath the car or actual paint missing we’re going to be where I drew the line.

Luckily I received a great car with a barely misaligned panel which was noted with my DA at delivery.

5. super20g

super20g Member

I am 2+ hrs from service. I accepted a car with minor paint issues in August. I have spent since then driving back and forth, many body shop and service screw ups, etc. I would gladly go back in time and refuse delivery... Don't be me. Don't accept a new car with issues - especially paint issues.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. glide

glide Member

I would refuse at the sign of any imperfection that was unsatisfactory to me.

Tesla’s promises of fixing items down the road are total BS.

This is the only way they will ever get QC under control. When people start rejecting the crap they are attempting to pass off during delivery.

• Like x 2
  7. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 Somewhat Active Member

It is sad that prospect buyers have to worry about this sort of problem with a new car.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  8. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

They worry about it because they choose to. 1000’s of Teslas are delivered every week with no issues. Look forward to delivery date, don’t fear it.

• Like x 4
  9. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Member

I’m 5hrs from a service center...I plan to be particular. Of course I just dropped 70k on a car...so there is that.

FWIW I’m not worried that anything will be wrong. I’m cautiously optimistic everything will be perfect.

• Like x 2
  10. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Can always swing by the Starship site if you run into an issue. I hear they have an awesome set of tools.

11. morningstar

morningstar Member

Thanks for all your thoughts! We're not going to be super nit-picky, but it is a very expensive car so we do expect the paint to look right and for parts to be aligned correctly and not have any obvious broken parts to it. It's helpful to have a plan going into it so I can just enjoy the experience moving forward. :)

12. samk579

samk579 Member

This happened to me yesterday at Tesla Vancouver. The attitude was "Take it or leave it, wait another 4 weeks and risk the EV rebate runs out" *with a smirk. They tried to buff it out unsuccessfully, the damage went through the paint into the bumper.

Pics here Vancouver BC VIN .

• Helpful x 1
  13. samk579

samk579 Member

Add on

Insurance company will look at the depreciation of existing damage to potential pay less even if you are not at fault. Even a 5-10% on a $10000 bumper repair will be $500-$1000. You can fight it of course.

14. Colozeus

Colozeus Member

I refused an M3P yesterday. Paint chips and dent in rocker panel. I would also refuse major panel alignment issues unless they can fix it on the spot at the service center before you take delivery. I've decided i'm going to wait until the end of this quarter to order again. I'm giving them one more chance. If they mess up the next one then i'm sticking with an ICE vehicle and most likely getting a m340i. i currently drive a 2014 audi s4 and it was flawless when i picked it up at the dealership.

15. morningstar

morningstar Member

samk579, that paint is awful! And what was that circular metal thing? I can't believe they aren't embarrassed to put out this poor quality of work!

16. samk579

samk579 Member

It's the sensor, that part is fine.

• Like x 1
  17. MDub

MDub Member

I ordered on 6/1, was set for a delivery date of 6/12. When the vehicle arrived on 6/10 I received a phone call from the delivery manager to let me know that there were some chips on the front bumper and he wasn’t happy with how it looked so offered to deliver it and have a new factory bumper installed once it was available. He texted pictures and it looks like it must have been the lead vehicle on a truck that was hit by stones or gravel. I asked him about the hood and windshield and he found minor chips in both. He offered to have the hood resprayed and the windshield replaced, but to me that is no longer a “new” vehicle. He was very understanding and was able to find another vehicle with the same configuration that was being delivered within 3 days. It arrived yesterday and I took delivery today. Kudos to Tesla of Springfield, NJ as they handled this really well.

• Like x 1
  18. Colozeus

Colozeus Member

I wish my service center would have done the same for me. They were clearly hoping that i wouldn't notice the paint chips and dent.

19. samk579

samk579 Member

Same for me, I would be driving a Tesla right now if they just do the right thing.

20. Blucenturion

Blucenturion Member

I got my SR+ today, 17 days after ordering. I had my picky, picky friend come over and help me inspect it and there were zero issues with anything. I did outside inspection, he, interior. Bravo Tesla!

• Like x 1