Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under what driving habit and condition is FSD subscription worth it to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always find it interesting the variety of answers that come from people on questions about self driving value. It seems to me that FSD is just one of those things that is either worthwhile for you personally or not. Its just a suite of tools really, like going to the hardware store, we all get to decide whether the additional suite of tools is needed for the work we're doing. If you never pound in nails you'll likely never buy a hammer, similarly if you drive from home to work on city streets and almost nothing else features like NOA might not be valuable or necessary.

Here's my take, there's a lot of jaded folks when you talk about FSD. Lots of people who feel that they've been shafted in the past by long term promises and early adoption, and that's their perogative and totally fine. Everyone gets to form their own opinion about all of the brands we do business with, but for folks trying to form an opinion about things sometimes you have to weed out the noise. Is FSD worth the entire $10k purchase right now for me, no its not. I work in software development and firmly believe in not buying software on future promises. Maybe I know too much about product lifecycle for software and it scares me for what could come out of a purchase like that. Is the subscription worth it for me, yes right now it is. We're planning on deactivating it in the winter months when our trip travel decreases but I'll tell you that personally I like lane change, stop lights on autopilot and the green light chime. They make a difference in my driving experience, and honestly NOA is nicer than I expected.

I think its worth it for people thinking about whether its worth it or not to buy it for a month and give it a shot, the actual worth of the features will depend on your driving style, your budget, your personal preferences, how well you understand the limitations of the system etc... So my .02 to the OP, give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised and we're going to keep it for at least a few months as of right now.

I always find it interesting the variety of answers that come from people on questions about self driving value. It seems to me that FSD is just one of those things that is either worthwhile for you personally or not. Its just a suite of tools really, like going to the hardware store, we all get to decide whether the additional suite of tools is needed for the work we're doing. If you never pound in nails you'll likely never buy a hammer, similarly if you drive from home to work on city streets and almost nothing else features like NOA might not be valuable or necessary.

Here's my take, there's a lot of jaded folks when you talk about FSD. Lots of people who feel that they've been shafted in the past by long term promises and early adoption, and that's their perogative and totally fine. Everyone gets to form their own opinion about all of the brands we do business with, but for folks trying to form an opinion about things sometimes you have to weed out the noise. Is FSD worth the entire $10k purchase right now for me, no its not. I work in software development and firmly believe in not buying software on future promises. Maybe I know too much about product lifecycle for software and it scares me for what could come out of a purchase like that. Is the subscription worth it for me, yes right now it is. We're planning on deactivating it in the winter months when our trip travel decreases but I'll tell you that personally I like lane change, stop lights on autopilot and the green light chime. They make a difference in my driving experience, and honestly NOA is nicer than I expected.

I think its worth it for people thinking about whether its worth it or not to buy it for a month and give it a shot, the actual worth of the features will depend on your driving style, your budget, your personal preferences, how well you understand the limitations of the system etc... So my .02 to the OP, give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised and we're going to keep it for at least a few months as of right now.
Well said, I think the biggest issue is that FSD was overhyped and they set wrong expectations. If FSD was simply marketed as Advanced Driving Assistants, etc. instead of the promise of "Full Self Driving" then this wouldn't be such a big deal. I am in tech as well and understand these development lifecycles but the majority of buyers do not and they wind up with a lot of buyers remorse. The subscription is a good move, I think they should break out the features even further a la carte. Like NoA for $20 per month, otherwise most folks will not even subscribe at $200 per month, especially as Tesla tries to head downmarket where $200 a month is a lot of money to most people. Some folks buy EVs based on the economics and adding $200 a month so you can babysit your car changing lanes on the highway is going in the wrong direction financially. $200 a month covers insurance on two cars in our house.

Reactions: pilotSteve
For me, the ONLY value of FSD is that I don't have to keep my hand on the steering wheel when doing AP on the freeway. The month that they release FSD without hand on wheel, I may subscribe for 1 month just to see how it feels. I seriously doubt that I will pay $1200 a year (My car has EAP) for it just so I don't have to hold on to the steering wheel.

I enjoy driving around locally in my city in my Tesla. Yeah it would be fun to have the car take me to the grocery store, but completely unnecessary. Now if FSD does not require a driver at all, that may be interesting as I could have the car take me to the airport and drive itself back home! I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Well said, I think the biggest issue is that FSD was overhyped and they set wrong expectations. If FSD was simply marketed as Advanced Driving Assistants, etc. instead of the promise of "Full Self Driving" then this wouldn't be such a big deal. I am in tech as well and understand these development lifecycles but the majority of buyers do not and they wind up with a lot of buyers remorse. The subscription is a good move, I think they should break out the features even further a la carte. Like NoA for $20 per month, otherwise most folks will not even subscribe at $200 per month, especially as Tesla tries to head downmarket where $200 a month is a lot of money to most people. Some folks buy EVs based on the economics and adding $200 a month so you can babysit your car changing lanes on the highway is going in the wrong direction financially. $200 a month covers insurance on two cars in our house.
I completely agree, I understand the idea behind marketing it as full self driving, but man does it cause some heartache.

I'd love to see them break things out a bit more, because I'd definitely forego some pieces of the suite to save a little money. I think lane change and stop lights are my main pieces, but I think the challenge with Al a Carte options like this would be that they build on each other. NoA and NoCS really are self driving pieces that use these other features like lane change and the stop light tool to accomplish a more complex task. I don't think you can have NoA without those other pieces. I think the advanced auto pilot concept is where it is for me most of the time. I'd even pay a flat fee to just have it if it had lane change and stop lights.

The pricing piece is an important thing. As Tesla lowers their average cost of ownership and move down into other economic classes $200 a month is like a full car payment for some people, or more, and it won't be sustainable to a good swath of folks in the US. I think that people in general overestimate the cost of ownership of the Tesla, and its important to break that misnomer, the $200 autopilot subscription doesn't help the idea that Tesla=expensive. Heck since we've purchased ours I've had 3 people tell me that they can't figure out how I justified a $150k car. My model Y did not cost even close to that much.

I can't see any use case where its worth $200 a month because it doesn't do much more than basic AP. Outside of auto-lane change nothing else about FSD works consistently enough to pay that $200 over and over. I can't see the vast majority of people who subscribe to FSD continuing on with the subscription for more than a couple months.

What would make it worth $200?

1. Hands Free driving like Supercruise
  2. Priority navigation/map fixes where if you had FSD they'd have a special way to report an issue, and they'd fix it fast
  3. Tesla Vision enabled for NoA where it could fix the issue of auto-lane change getting tricked by semi-trucks in a far lane.
  4. NoA that worked consistently (as a result of #2, and #3)
  5. Go on Green without a lead car

Having these would probably hold someone over until FSD Beta arrived.

Once FSD beta arrives I think people will be content with paying $200/month as long as they feel like the issues they report are being fixed. The vast majority of us have the same drives everything, and all we want is our car to handle most of it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'd have a hard time paying for anything that doesn't allow me to truly get into the car, set a destination, sleep or otherwise completely check out from paying attention to the road, and get to the destination in roughly the same time as if I were driving.

Currently driving about 3,300 miles per month right now for work, most of that being in 4 x 10-11hr stretches, and I'd absolutely love for a system that would allow me to check out. I have tried adaptive cruise control pretty extensively in a 2014 Cadillac and am currently driving a rental 2021 truck that has lane keeping and will steer to keep you inside lines, but I wouldn't opt to pay one red cent for either of those.

How much I'd pay for being able to completely check out, well I'd need to test it and then see if I could offset costs by billing out some work when I'd otherwise be driving. $200/month or even more might make sense with this commute, but I don't know if I'd pay anything for just regular commutes to an office within like 20mins of my house. The cost would need to make sense relative to how much time I spend on the road.

Typing that out has made me wonder if we could see autonomous driving systems in the future that have pricing structures based on miles driven or something along those lines, feels like that would make a lot of sense

Reactions: raptor5244
Driving a loaner with full FSD. I guess the lane change thing is cool, but you still are doing half the work nearly to initiate it. Stupid car kept slowing and preparing to stop at green lights on a 60mph 6 lane divided hwy??? Great idea Tesla! Way to go.

No idea what you are getting for $200 a month now? Lane change, bad stop/ start light recognition and erratic behavior and……can’t think of anything else of any value.

Now $100/mo and guarantee me Beta, I’m interested.

As another poster stated, it has everything useful right now with basic autopilot. Current FSD is garbage.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I'd have a hard time paying for anything that doesn't allow me to truly get into the car, set a destination, sleep or otherwise completely check out from paying attention to the road, and get to the destination in roughly the same time as if I were driving.

Currently driving about 3,300 miles per month right now for work, most of that being in 4 x 10-11hr stretches, and I'd absolutely love for a system that would allow me to check out. I have tried adaptive cruise control pretty extensively in a 2014 Cadillac and am currently driving a rental 2021 truck that has lane keeping and will steer to keep you inside lines, but I wouldn't opt to pay one red cent for either of those.

How much I'd pay for being able to completely check out, well I'd need to test it and then see if I could offset costs by billing out some work when I'd otherwise be driving. $200/month or even more might make sense with this commute, but I don't know if I'd pay anything for just regular commutes to an office within like 20mins of my house. The cost would need to make sense relative to how much time I spend on the road.

Typing that out has made me wonder if we could see autonomous driving systems in the future that have pricing structures based on miles driven or something along those lines, feels like that would make a lot of sense
Agreed. I think the use cases for spending $200 a month are hard to justify. You drive a lot and if you could truly trust the system then it could reduce a lot of driving fatigue but I doubt we will ever be able to really trust the existing system enough with the current hardware. It is a good first start but I feel like this is a 10-15 year challenge to solve. It is also way too expensive IMO. Adding $200 a month to a typical $600 car payment plus insurance is quite costly. Sure you have less overall maintenance and fuel costs with Tesla but not $2400 a year worth.

Personally, I will probably never trust FSD on city streets. It would be most helpful and desirable for long distance trips on the highway, but not worth it to me unless it can do FSD for real without driver attention. I would guess that is still decades away, so I presently have no interest in FSD.

I gather you are not driving a Tesla now? The current AP for such long stretches is just fantastic. Great stress reliever and life saver.
Currently driving a rental 2021 truck that has Lane Keeping, but I turn that off most of the time because it often does weird adjustments that I wouldn't do.

The drives aren't stressful, the only benefit would be if I could actually sleep or not pay attention to the road at all when driving for 10-11hrs in one stretch. If I still need to sit there and stare at the road with my hands on the wheel, regular cruise control is as good as anything else.

Last edited by a moderator: