Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under what driving habit and condition is FSD subscription worth it to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Now FSD monthly subscription is out, I wonder when and what driving condition and habits is it worth for you to pay $199 to activate FSD?

Most of my daily commute is on highways for about 90 min for work. I use autopilot all the time on. I am not sure how fsd can improve my current driving experience? So I am still on the fence about paying monthly subscription.

What is your thought?

Hello all. Now FSD monthly subscription is out, I wonder when and what driving condition and habits is it worth for you to pay $199 to activate FSD?

Most of my daily commute is on highways for about 90 min for work. I use autopilot all the time on. I am not sure how fsd can improve my current driving experience? So I am still on the fence about paying monthly subscription.

What is your thought?
I'm giving it a test drive for a month.
My commute is about 50 miles each way to/from work, 95% freeway. I'm going to see if auto-lane change and NOA work decently or not; those are the only features of FSD that matter to me in my particular use case scenario.
Like you, I use autopilot for pretty much my entire commute, and the only thing that bothers me is the nagging bing-bong from constantly changing lanes and disengaging and reengaging autopilot to get into or out of the passing lane.

If NOA and auto lane change work well, then I may end up subscribing in the good weather months; or would consider a stand-alone purchase of those features if Tesla were to offer it at a reasonable price.

...So I am still on the fence about paying monthly subscription...
What's the hesitation? It only costs you $199 to try out for one month.

Only you can decide it's worth the fun to show off to your friends that it can drive on its own to pick you up from its parking space (smart summon)...

Your Autopilot is primarily for highway use.

FSD is meant for city streets but you'll have to be a very selected few to get FSD beta 9 even when you paid fully for it.

If you don't like it, just cancel it and you don't have to pay for it again.

Reactions: RNHurt
Since your monthly subscription price is $199, you don’t have EAP, which means you don’t have Auto Lane Change. I think you’ll like having that. Our Teslas have always had Auto Lane Change (even in AP1), and when I rented a Model 3 with basic AP recently, I really missed Auto Lane Change. Even though I have FSD, the features I use most are TACC, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change. Navigate on Autopilot is okay, but I could live without it.

For people with EAP, the $99/month subscription won’t add much.

eslas have always had Auto Lane Change (even in AP1), and when I rented a Model 3 with basic AP recently, I really missed Auto Lane Change. Even though I have FSD, the features I use most are TACC, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change. Navigate on Autopilot is okay, but I could live without it.

I have FSD and while I do keep NOA on by default, I would not pay $20/m for it (including other FSD features), let alone $200/m:
  • Auto-lane changes are way too often so dumb that you need to take over
  • Highway on/off ramps are way too often handled so poorly that you need to take over (for safety or not missing a turn)
That said, NOA is still worth >0 is it is a good reminder on navigation. Without it I would sometimes miss a turn.

I have FSD and while I do keep NOA on by default, I would not pay $20/m for it (including other FSD features), let alone $200/m:
  • Auto-lane changes are way too often so dumb that you need to take over
  • Highway on/off ramps are way too often handled so poorly that you need to take over (for safety or not missing a turn)
That said, NOA is still worth >0 is it is a good reminder on navigation. Without it I would sometimes miss a turn.

To be clear, I was referring to regular Auto Lane Change, not what NoA does. I have NoA lane change confirmations enabled, so it won't change lanes on its own. It sometimes makes bad suggestions, so I've never let it make changes automatically.

Are you saying the standard navigation voice prompts aren't enough to keep you from missing a turn?

I had two FSD trials in the past. Most features are useless to me, like autopark (slow and hard on the tires) and summon (useless due to regualations here). NoA and auto lane change sounds great, but at least when I had the trial it was notoriously unreliable. It would start signaling left and if there was a vehicle in the left lane like 100 m back my car would just keep driving in the right lane while signaling left. Also FSD was unable to get me onto the highway safely. Maybe it got better over time, but if they believed in their product, they should just give me another trial. I'm not paying a single cent to see if it got any better after the terrible experience I had before.

$199 (presumably $259 CAD here) for auto-lane change (even if it was reliable) seems a little excessive anyway given my driving habits. I don't use the highway all that often.

But to each their own. Maybe I'm wrong and everything works great now, but I'll still stick to AP. It works great for me.

Reactions: Electroman
We had EAP on the Model S75D (lease ended a couple of months ago) and the only thing we really ever used aside from basic Autopilot was Auto Lane Change.

Although it Would be kinda cool to have the car stop by itself at lights and stop signs (and restart when you nudge the accelerator) but aside from that, we don't think the other features in FSD's present state are that useful to us (we have a Model Y LR now).

Reactions: coolmanfever
After my first day with the sub, in its current stateit’s not worth the money for me.
Auto lane change with confirmation works great enough for me, navigate on autopilot does not handle ramps well, and smart summon is a party trick but not currently useful.

i would definitely like auto lane change, but the rest is not ready for prime time.

Yo, Elon, I’ll pay a grand for auto lane change just to avoid the annoying bing-bong, or maybe throw us a bone and move lane change into autopilot for everyone.
I’ll likely repeat a sub once they update to V9/10/11 and would consider subscribing when there’s something of value there. Right now, too much money for half baked sketchy behavior and parlor tricks.
But, that’s just me.

We had EAP on the Model S75D (lease ended a couple of months ago) and the only thing we really ever used aside from basic Autopilot was Auto Lane Change.

Although it Would be kinda cool to have the car stop by itself at lights and stop signs (and restart when you nudge the accelerator) but aside from that, we don't think the other features in FSD's present state are that useful to us (we have a Model Y LR now).
I definitely 100% agree with you.

Reactions: mrbulk
NoA and auto lane change sounds great, but at least when I had the trial it was notoriously unreliable. It would start signaling left and if there was a vehicle in the left lane like 100 m back my car would just keep driving in the right lane while signaling left. Also FSD was unable to get me onto the highway safely. Maybe it got better over time,
It didn't get any better. Work great when there is very light traffic, but during normal hours, the car only changes lanes if other people slow down to let you over. Often people would flash their high beams at me to let me go, but NoAP still thinks they are too close.

NoAP did speed up to make the lane change in May update, but that was reverted back some time in June. I guess Tesla didn't like it being too aggressive.

My suggestion to everyone is wait on subscribing until city street auto steer is available to the general public. Right now $199 doesn't offer much usefulness.

Are you saying the standard navigation voice prompts aren't enough to keep you from missing a turn?
He probably has voice prompts turned off, and so do I.

I've traveled around the US this year (literally, from WA to ME to FL to CA and then back to WA) with NoA. It saved me from a couple of missed exits, but I often had to turn it off because of weird lane changes. I guess it would be worth something like $5 a month for me right now.

Update from my post above.

NoAP auto lane change did improve.

Usually it goes behind a slower car, but today, I left HOV lane at 80 (ppl behind me think this slow) and it got in front of each slower cars as it crossed each of the 4 lanes. Before my car would get to the side of others and slow way down to get behind them. This is always nerve wreaking as it goes from 80 down to 70, then down to 50 as it makes it's lane changes from HOV to Exit ramp in a 5 lane freeway. Mixed traffic here at night is 55mph (big rigs) to 90-95mph (crazy people). Most do 75-85.

NoAP was surprising good in medium traffic. Now they just need to fix the weird lane changes that takes me out and then immediately change lanes back to it.