Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underbody Cover peeled off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All,

Yesterday I was driving through the country lanes, carefully drover through flooded areas and over branches, today I noticed that some fabric was hanging underneathe the car located by the two rear wheels in the center. I had to pull part of the fabric off as it was hanging by a few threads. Pics below of what has come off and a pic of the location where its come off (not my car).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Dont really want to go via Tesla as I imagine they will charge an arm and a leg. I also obviously want to protect my car, so was thinking of buying some wheel ramps and doing a diy job with a staple gun?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

4F647DDC-EEB3-4754-9E13-65855FF4AF72.jpeg
DAD202EA-0AA1-4DED-B26D-50EE861B8503.jpeg
DAD202EA-0AA1-4DED-B26D-50EE861B8503.jpeg

It's a known problem. Tesla advise not driving through deep puddles, especially at speed, I believe, as the underbody covers are not designed to withstand the forces from water being sprayed up at them, believe it or not. I think there may have been a re-design of this part, or it's fastenings, might be worth asking Tesla.

It's a known problem. Tesla advise not driving through deep puddles, especially at speed, I believe, as the underbody covers are not designed to withstand the forces from water being sprayed up at them, believe it or not. I think there may have been a re-design of this part, or it's fastenings, might be worth asking Tesla.

To be fair it's been a long time on this forum since anyone posted with this issue. Given the wet weather and ever more Model 3s ploughing through puddles it can't be that common ... even though it is indeed a known issue. Being forewarned I do think twice when driving through water but frequently can't avoid it due to traffic coming the other way. If the underside was so delicate I would have ripped off panels on many occasions!

To be fair it's been a long time on this forum since anyone posted with this issue. Given the wet weather and ever more Model 3s ploughing through puddles it can't be that common ... even though it is indeed a known issue. Being forewarned I do think twice when driving through water but frequently can't avoid it due to traffic coming the other way. If the underside was so delicate I would have ripped off panels on many occasions!
I've seen this come up a couple of times the last few weeks on one of the Facebook groups, i think one might have been a 2021 car, not sure though.

I did it as well after going through a shallow flood at about 50mph. It was around a corner and at night so didn't see until too late. Would not have done otherwise. Mine was way worse than yours. Part is around £150 and a pretty easy diy job if you fancy it. just a few bolts.
TBH I don't think yours is even worth replacing.
I got Tesla to do mine for free. Convinced them that one of the bolts was missing so it was their fault.
It is definitely speed that does it deep water itself is not an issue I have also driven through an 18" flood ( again not deliberately, I don't recommend that either) and that did it no harm at all ( so far).
Having read back the above I don't think I am coming of well here am I ;)

I read some stuff after my incident that suggests this IS the uprated version! Original was even worse I think but hey at least the rear bumper doesn't fall of any more when you drive through a puddle so that's something.

If you're going to drive where puddles are deep or on rough tracks, the MPP Lift Kit saves the bottom covers and maybe your battery. It takes a 10pc bite on your range so it's about the same as running without AeroWheel covers.

I read some stuff after my incident that suggests this IS the uprated version! Original was even worse I think but hey at least the rear bumper doesn't fall of any more when you drive through a puddle so that's something.

Someone posted the tech note somewhere for the revised part and it only affected Model 3's built before (something like March 19) the likely start of UK production. So that fits with your suggestion.

I think someone also hinted of an aftermarket version becoming available.

Interesting about the better "wade performance" of the tow hitch version.

Interestingly about the time that early cars were being delivered in the UK that also coincided with the introduction of the tow hitch, there were a number of people querying this hatch on non tow hitch cars. I had just assumed that all cars were moving to the tow hitch version to keep to a single sku, but maybe it was also driven by it being a more robust part too.

It would be interesting to know if the tow hitch hatch is now standard fitment across all vehicles.

Reactions: Adopado