Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underbody Cover peeled off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's bolts falling out which causes the covers to drop down and become damaged. Get a new cover for £150 and some spare bolts and it's a 10 min job to replace.

NB the bulletin above is for a problem with the rear plastic fascia not the aero covers.

The first one is.
The first one in this thread is the aero cover SB and the second one is for the fascia.
The fascia issue originally came to light in snowy parts of the US when they were scooping up snow and falling off. That was in the early days of the Model 3 from memory.

Then the first version of the aero cover had a problem, but as we've seen the UK never got any cars with the original cover, however the belief that driving through a puddle causes bits to fall have seems to have stuck.

In almost every case I've seen, the aero covers tear or come off as a result of previous damage or the bolts falling out. I found a couple of those bolts loose on my first Model 3. When you buy those bolts as spares they come with screwlock already applies to the threads, so Tesla have been taking remedial action I reckon, but there will still be a lot of cars out there with loose or missing bolts and when they drive through standing water, the covers may become damaged as a result.

In almost every case I've seen, the aero covers tear or come off as a result of previous damage or the bolts falling out. I found a couple of those bolts loose on my first Model 3. When you buy those bolts as spares they come with screwlock already applies to the threads, so Tesla have been taking remedial action I reckon, but there will still be a lot of cars out there with loose or missing bolts and when they drive through standing water, the covers may become damaged as a result.

In the case of mine, I went through a deep puddle at about 15 mph and it ripped the front fixings out and damaged the undertray. It was scraping along the ground. I got home, parked it on the gravel drive and when I reversed it off for the Telsa man to do a temporary fix, it scooped up a few kilos of stones. It had to be replaced.

In the case of mine, I went through a deep puddle at about 15 mph and it ripped the front fixings out and damaged the undertray. It was scraping along the ground. I got home, parked it on the gravel drive and when I reversed it off for the Telsa man to do a temporary fix, it scooped up a few kilos of stones. It had to be replaced.
A puddle can't rip the aero cover fixings out. They are 10mm bolts.

I don't think water pressure is going to tear out 10mm bolts. The cover will shred long before that happens.
If the bolts are loose it is much easier for the aero cover to be damaged since that allows water in more easily
BUT
It is entirely possible for the cover to tear even with all the bolts present and tight. The pressure hitting water at speed is huge and can damage the cover.