Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underbody of the battery bent from impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those interested, this is how the current aeroshield looks like (instead of the felt one - seen in the 1st post):
View attachment 955252
Interesting, I just hit a giant piece of discarded truck tire in the middle of the night and it punched a hole and pushed my felt aeroshield upwards, thankfully no other damage to the battery or coolant hoses. Mine's the felt material (early 2021), got quoted $165 usd for a new one from Tesla. Got a plastic one ordered on ebay for $82 usd that looks exactly like your new one.

Attachments

• 20230708_191900.jpg
    20230708_191900.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Helpful
Reactions: ro_explorer
Interesting, I just hit a giant piece of discarded truck tire in the middle of the night and it punched a hole and pushed my felt aeroshield upwards, thankfully no other damage to the battery or coolant hoses. Mine's the felt material (early 2021), got quoted $165 usd for a new one from Tesla. Got a plastic one ordered on ebay for $82 usd that looks exactly like your new one.
what was tesla thinking protecting the delicate wiring/ coolant lines in front of the battery pack with a thin piece of fragile hardened felt?

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
Glad you're OK and the only car damage was the felt piece.

The cost of the plastic aero shield per Tesla's quote was 1339sek (before tax), meaning around USD 125$.
The part number is: FRONT AERO - LWRT (1499151-00-C)

Reactions: XPsionic
what was tesla thinking protecting the delicate wiring/ coolant lines in front of the battery pack with a thin piece of fragile hardened felt?
FYI neither the felt nor the newer hard plastic shield is designed to protect anything. It's only to smooth the airflow and reduce some of the dust from getting in. If you want actual debris protection, the shield must be metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: texas_star_TM3
FYI neither the felt nor the newer hard plastic shield is designed to protect anything. It's only to smooth the airflow and reduce some of the dust from getting in. If you want actual debris protection, the shield must be metal.
Maybe the stainless steel versions that some EU companies sell would provide some protection. From a quick google search, a lot of the NA aftermarket stuff are 1/8" aluminum plates, I have my doubts about the impact protection that provides.

Cost savings to Tesla itself, clearly, at the expense of owner's insurance headaches down the road.

The cost of the plastic aero shield per Tesla's quote was 1339sek (before tax), meaning around USD 125$.
The part number is: FRONT AERO - LWRT (1499151-00-C)

If anyone else runs into a similar situation - do yourself a favor and do NOT put another piece of Tesla felt/plastic sh*t under your car.
Get a MoutainPass aluminum shield, or something similar, to protect your oil and water coolant lines. At least aluminum will survive an impact or two.

Tesla's parts are disposable.
How do I know?
1st one got replaced when a valet bumped the front of the bumper and discombobulated the plastic pieces underneath the car.
2nd one got ripped apart during a rain storm (and likely previous encounters with god knows what).
1692483139459.png

After the 2nd event, I've ordered and just installed the MountainPass 1/8" aluminum shield instead.
It's a little pricey, but still cheaper than 2x Tesla POS parts, never mind the installation time and cost.

a

Reactions: ro_explorer