Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarriage mat hanging down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a good run of bad luck this month. Curb rash, flat tire, broken windshield and now this.

Backed out of my garage and started to drive today and instantly sounded like I was dragging something. Stopped and looked and I’m dragging some type of plastic undercarriage protector. Looks like maybe I ran over something and it shredded. Who knows. Just not sure if it’s safe to drive as I figure out how to get dealt with. Anyone have this happen and know what this is gonna cost me? It’s in the rear of the car between the rear wheels.

Attachments

• F31E0F7B-4C25-48B9-B8BD-A3E6701500F2.jpeg
    F31E0F7B-4C25-48B9-B8BD-A3E6701500F2.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 6,351
  • FFB35D4B-7EE8-4C0A-BAB9-BEDE7171AC14.jpeg
    FFB35D4B-7EE8-4C0A-BAB9-BEDE7171AC14.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 4,310
Did you blast through standing water? I’m seriously curious. Not trying to be rude...I just want to understand how sensitive these undercarriage covers are.

it’s too bad they didn’t learn from Lotus and make it out of Aluminum. I agree with KenC.

Found some old threads on here. Rained hard in Dallas last night, guessing that my driving last night caused it to get wet and tear. Lovely. Added it to my upcoming appointment. Will see what the damage is.

I guarantee you that is it. You probably drove through a puddle and the water ripped part of the mid aero shield on the undercarriage. It’s happened to many of us as you discovered from your thread search. Try ripping the loose piece off (it’s just some reinforced fabric material) or using some gorilla tape to fasten it back in place temporarily. And don’t let Tesla charge you for replacing this part. It’s a design defect and should be replaced under warranty in my opinion.

Big squall on the way home Friday in Pompano Beach. Before it got real bad I got off the I-95 and drove the last 3 1/2 miles on surface streets. Then it got bad. Drove home at a max speed of 35-40. Wipers were overwhelmed.

Next day I see that I lost BOTH front aero wheel covers and the front underside was ripped up and hanging down. :eek:

I've never lost a hubcap due to rain in the 50 years i've been driving. Tesla said they won't give me a loaner while they fix the car because external damage is not covered by warranty.

The shielding is both for NVH and airflow control. It's a bit perplexing why they won't make it out of plastic which is more typical, rather than something more susceptible to waterlogging.

I've seen it happen lots with 3s, though luckily it hasn't happened to me despite driving through a fair bit of rain.

I would demand it as a manufacturer/warranty-replacement

Big squall on the way home Friday in Pompano Beach. Before it got real bad I got off the I-95 and drove the last 3 1/2 miles on surface streets. Then it got bad. Drove home at a max speed of 35-40. Wipers were overwhelmed.

Next day I see that I lost BOTH front aero wheel covers and the front underside was ripped up and hanging down. :eek:

I've never lost a hubcap due to rain in the 50 years i've been driving. Tesla said they won't give me a loaner while they fix the car because external damage is not covered by warranty.
The hubcaps have a different purpose on the Tesla, which makes them more vulnerable to water. They're normally channeling air, but when you drive thru water, they channel the water, which has enough resistance to pull the caps right off. Normal hubcaps don't do any of that.

I bet if you drive back on those surface streets, you may see your caps laying off to the side.

I've never lost a hubcap due to rain in the 50 years I've been driving. Tesla said they won't give me a loaner while they fix the car because external damage is not covered by warranty.

So I took the car into the Tesla SC in Dania Beach. They replaced the crappy fiber piece with a plastic piece. Told me the hub caps are $25 each and they would order them.

I have a mobile repair at my work on June 30th to get my dashcam working (2nd attempt by tesla to figure out the problem but that's another post) on the 30th and the tech will bring the hub caps and wipers.

So I took the car into the Tesla SC in Dania Beach. They replaced the crappy fiber piece with a plastic piece. Told me the hub caps are $25 each and they would order them.

I have a mobile repair at my work on June 30th to get my dashcam working (2nd attempt by tesla to figure out the problem but that's another post) on the 30th and the tech will bring the hub caps and wipers.

can you take a pic? is it really plastic or still felt type / fuzzy material?

This, as most other parts on the car is a compromise. The rear splash shield is different on the Model Y so no luck finding an injection molded plastic equivalent until maybe the OE replacement companies step it up and make one.

The benefit of this material is a. slightly lower weight vs plastic b. much better NVH profile vs plastic c. if not torn beforehand, far longer life vs trim plastic (which in a few years becomes brittle, cracks, etc).

The cons are higher costs, need for reinforcement and water soak induced damage.

For the front splashield, you can replace it or sandwich it together with the Model Y injection molded piece ($12 at SC parts dept) for best of both worlds. If you just replace, road noise increases.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
can you take a pic? is it really plastic or still felt type / fuzzy material?

It's a fiber material that is pretty tough and rough to the touch. Seems water is a kryptonite. I live in South Florida and it held up for 1 year. This time the water ripped it down the middle and 1 corner (right side by passenger door) ripped off and the bolt was still in place with the torn material still bolted into place. I think its just 6 bolts holding it on.

Replaced with plastic piece under warranty while I waited 1/2 hour.

Its not the material you want if you live in places where the streets flood at the drop at the hat. City streets flood all the time here. Most the time in Fort Pooper-dale its rain... but a few times this in the last year a burst sewer line to add some texture to city life.

Happened to me. Rear under panel came loose - not sure why. Suggest you remove it or don’t drive. Mine acted like a front-facing scoop and slightly pushed rear bumper out. Tesla replaced front and back halves of under panel since it was under warranty. No problems since.