Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarriage pressure wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you use to wash the undercarriage? Bay area folk, this probably won't pertain to you.

I'm thinking of getting an undercarriage washer attachment (either ryobi or mtm if it ever comes back in stock) and pressure washer for the few times it snows where I'm at now. Obviously the model 3 can drive through rain fine, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical of shooting jets of water underneath an electric car, especially one who's fit and finish isn't necessarily the best.

My Red Beauty has been through a few snow storms and gotten really dirty from trucks passing me on snowy and rainy I95. So far, I have waited until a day where temps are 40 degrees and have washed it by hand. I take the hose and angle it under the car on each side, and around the wheel wells. I use the ONR and change the water a couple of times when it is dirty. Then rinse, then dry. Going forward, I will use the touchless car wash with undercarriage wash when I'm in a hurry or don't want to take out the hose and buckets, etc.

What do you use to wash the undercarriage? Bay area folk, this probably won't pertain to you.

I'm thinking of getting an undercarriage washer attachment (either ryobi or mtm if it ever comes back in stock) and pressure washer for the few times it snows where I'm at now. Obviously the model 3 can drive through rain fine, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical of shooting jets of water underneath an electric car, especially one who's fit and finish isn't necessarily the best.

When you drive in rainy weather, water is shooting up in the undercarriage all the time...

When I get back to Arkansas from my month in Colorado I intend to either use a garden sprinkler or make my own system out of PVC pipes to rinse the road grime and deicing material off the underside of the car. Just lay it on the ground and drive over it. I wouldn't use high pressure, though. I don't know if the wavy kind, or just a round squirty uppy kind would work best :D

71fQaTmDHHL._SY450_.jpg

I think a manual pressure car wash would be perfectly safe, since you can only shoot the undercarriage at a very steep angle (almost horizontal), which is perfect to just dislodge crap from under there. The automated car washes that shoot water straight up I'd definitely avoid. However, I'm 99.99% sure Tesla thought about that, and it shouldn't be an issue at all, but as somebody else said, with its crappy build quality, who knows. Ha ha.