Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undercarrige help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, due to this past snow storm, i am in a bit of a jam. The snow broke off tbe plastic part of my undercarriage and now it drags so much when i drive im pretty sure its not safe.

I want to cut this piece off myself because its out of warrenty and tesla has not gotten back to me with a price...(its probably alot)

So i was thinking, can i just buy some car ramps and drive the tesla up them and be able to cut this off? Please help!

The ramps are cheaper and easier than the jack.

Also there is a bolt down here wbich i think if i take off then this piece comes off but im not sure. Below are the pics.

Attachments

• 20220119_171707.jpg
    20220119_171707.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220119_171655.jpg
    20220119_171655.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 92
There have already been at least 2 owners on this forum reporting their HV batteries need to be replaced because of water damage to the HV battery. The owners say they have only driven the car in normal weather, including rain. That plastic cover is the main thing protecting your battery from water damage. If it is a significant expense, your auto insurance comprehensive coverage should cover it, unless you have a really high deductible. I would replace the cover as soon as possible.

There have already been at least 2 owners on this forum reporting their HV batteries need to be replaced because of water damage to the HV battery. The owners say they have only driven the car in normal weather, including rain. That plastic cover is the main thing protecting your battery from water damage. If it is a significant expense, your auto insurance comprehensive coverage should cover it, unless you have a really high deductible. I would replace the cover as soon as possible.
Do you know how much it will cost? Is there anyway i can DIY myself? Really struggling latley and this just add more ontop of the Shi!* pile

Getting parts can sometimes be a PITA. I open a service ticket and write “I would like to purchase part XYZ for my car VIN abcd… it usually get routed to the correct person. The last time they even had a ranger drop the parts off at my house!

If you need help identifying part names or numbers, the whole parts catalog is online (no prices or online ordering )-: )

I can’t tell from your photos what is broken. I’m worried something is sticking down that doesn’t look like a piece of a plastic shield. If some working part got knocked loose, then you have a bigger problem.

The plastic shield or wheel arch is not hard to replace. The usual assortment of screws and plastic clips.

Ramps work fine. The nose is low so you need low angle ramps made for sports cars or figure something else out

If you have air suspension, raise it to high and put it into jack mode to suppress auto leveling.

One more thing. Try and get the price from Tesla. They are often very reasonable on parts. I’ve found eBay pricing on used parts is often 2x the new price from Tesla. Go figure…

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanderpman12
Getting parts can sometimes be a PITA. I open a service ticket and write “I would like to purchase part XYZ for my car VIN abcd… it usually get routed to the correct person. The last time they even had a ranger drop the parts off at my house!

If you need help identifying part names or numbers, the whole parts catalog is online (no prices or online ordering )-: )

I can’t tell from your photos what is broken. I’m worried something is sticking down that doesn’t look like a piece of a plastic shield. If some working part got knocked loose, then you have a bigger problem.

The plastic shield or wheel arch is not hard to replace. The usual assortment of screws and plastic clips.

Ramps work fine. The nose is low so you need low angle ramps made for sports cars or figure something else out

If you have air suspension, raise it to high and put it into jack mode to suppress auto leveling.

One more thing. Try and get the price from Tesla. They are often very reasonable on parts. I’ve found eBay pricing on used parts is often 2x the new price from Tesla. Go figure…
Finally got a quote from tesla and its only 200$ thank god. They are going to send a mobile tech in a week to come fix it! Thought it was going to be an arm and a leg.

So happy to get to drive my baby again!