Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underground driveway charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any luck with a decent underground driveway charging unit? There's no obvious point on my house where I'd want to stick the charger with giant cable, due to aesthetic reasons. Having it tucked up underground seems a tidier solution, PROVIDING it's easily accessible and the long cable can be stored away and retrieved within seconds.

Not sure how expensive it would be either. Hopefully not too expensive. It'd be for a Model 3.

Has anyone had any luck with a decent underground driveway charging unit? There's no obvious point on my house where I'd want to stick the charger with giant cable, due to aesthetic reasons. Having it tucked up underground seems a tidier solution, PROVIDING it's easily accessible and the long cable can be stored away and retrieved within seconds.

Not sure how expensive it would be either. Hopefully not too expensive.

if you are worried about aesthetics that much and willing to do an underground then I can say that the units I have seen aren't going to pose you a price problem. have you not considered an Anderson charger they are really nice looking.

Andersen A2 | Stylish and Smart Enabled Electric Car Charging Points

Reactions: Durzel

Not sure how expensive it would be either. Hopefully not too expensive.
I’m not aware that such a thing exists for consumers.

There was a video on YouTube a few months ago, on the Fully Charged channel, where they showed a company that is installing public chargers in the pavement where they are flush with the ground, and the post rises electrically. No cable though, just a socket for your own lead.

Reactions: davidmc
Yeah it doesn't have to rise or anything fancy. Just thinking of a manhole type cover which I can open, and just manually take the cable out. The charger unit itself can be in the hole too with the cable, or somewhere else - I don't think it really matters.

Those Anderson chargers look pretty cool I guess. I'd like to see a video of how one would use them. Anything else similar to the Andersons?

Last edited:
Yeah it doesn't have to rise or anything fancy. Just thinking of a manhole type cover which I can open, and just manually take the cable out. The charger unit itself can be in the hole too with the cable, or somewhere else - I don't think it really matters.

Those Anderson chargers look pretty cool I guess. I'd like to see a video of how one would use them. Anything else similar to the Andersons?
I had also considered an Andersen as the cable bothers me a bit. I was put off after reading that the company had removed/we’re going to remove some of the functionality. That being said aesthetically pleasing.

A bruied charger gives additional problems re drainage and any lifting of cover will get old quickly. If it;s purely aesthetics then without pics of your house/drive it;s hard to make suggestions but perhaps something like a large wooden owl/gnome/mushroom etc with a belly door. or if that doesn't float then an arrangement of hanging baskets/planters.

Reactions: .jg. and Roy W.
I had also considered an Andersen as the cable bothers me a bit. I was put off after reading that the company had removed/we’re going to remove some of the functionality.

Ah do you mean the WiFi thing?

Andersen scraps WiFi?

Looks like they still support WiFi, but largely keep the feature hidden and try to get people to use ethernet instead. To be honest, I'm not completely sure why you'd want to use wifi anyway. The only thing I can think of is to set the charging start/stop time, but isn't that done very rarely anyway?

Just get an Andersen A2. Plenty of finishes to suit all kinds of properties, and it hides (and cleans with brushes) the cable so solves the main problem with aesthetics.

Trying to bury a charging cable sounds like a recipe for aggro. Where is the excess cable going to go? How will it handle water ingress?